Pure Cocker?

matt1979

I am looking at sourcing a pup to work alongside my little terrier and lurcher and would like to give a cocker a go, as Iam rough shooting more and more and have always fancied one to train up. I am lucky in that I own a dog walking co and am out daily covering the miles so can offer plenty of exercise when it’s not working. My question really is more about living with one, having walked a fair few and there xs I can see they can do a job, but having been used to mainly owning and growing up with lurchers and terriers, I like the fact they have an off button when not working. I put this down to predominantly good structure and exercise but I have always found them chilled types. Peoples experience with living with spaniels appreciated atb 

Had a cocker spaniel when I was a kid. She settled down when she was about 10 ? used to use her beating weekends and she would keep going and going always wanting to play fetch etc at home. A lovely dog but just wanted plenty of exercise  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had a pet one very very good in the house though excitable but that would been lack of training maybe. I am seriously considering another for the future as a gundog. I will be giving it large in the training department because they love to please. I want it quartering nice in range not belting around like a headless chicken. So yes at home they are great

DSC00520.JPG.9144ac048cfd8d2e188fc6f9afa932db.JPG 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

I'm watching this thread with anticipation. My wife's always liked cockers and my youngest kelpie is putting me off getting another. He's coming up for three and still not as obedient as my previous ones were at a few months old.??

I've lost count of the number of times I've come home from a walk and said something along the lines of, "Right, that's it, one more thing and he's going!"

Edited by Neal
  • Haha 3

A bit of both. Everybody I meet thinks he's amazing as he's a) extremely positive and friendly and b) brilliant at laying down and staying from any distance. However, I keep telling people the only reason he does that is because I HAVE TO lay him down repeatedly else he'll...pull on the lead when he sees other dogs to play with, hears the high pitched voices of kids to jump all over, hears a bus to round up, puts up a deer to chase etc, etc.

He's a lovely positive dog but he's the most high maintenence one I've had. When I bought Rusty (21 years ago) it was to breed a litter of lurchers from him. I never did breed any as I was so won over by him that I've only had kelpies since then. If Ned had been my first kelpie he'd be my last. People have been asking if I'm mad for the last twenty years, telling me that kelpies are always on the go, with no off button and barking all day. I've been disagreeing with them as Rusty, Amber, Scout and Noggin weren't. Now I've bought one like those that everybody has been describing to me.

Edited to add: sorry for going off topic Matt1979...back to the cockers.☺️

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

I grew up with spaniels, mainly springers, my old man used to trial and stuff to a high level, and spend a lot of time working the dogs on shoots. Now he has got a cocker and springer and just works them beating and rough shooting for his enjoyment. They have lovely temps if brought up right, but when young they can be pretty hyper, they just need lots of stimulation and exercise. It depends what you want from the dog but I find if you're trying to get a lot from the spaniel. . . . . keep it away from women and kids lol. But they make nice soft pets and are pretty biddable if you get the right one and know what you are at.

I know mine isnt a pure spaniel..she was a working springer x lurcher, but she’s very spaniel in her nature. When out she’s focused on what she loves doing....basically hunting squirrels rabbits pheasants etc. At home she’s very relaxed, but her body is full of pent up energy ready to be released at the slightest chance. Smartest dog I’ve worked.

It was only yesterday I was speaking to a lady who had a 5 month old working cocker pup and I was asking if she switched off in the house to which she replayed yes she settles very quickly.....this is a question I ask most spaniel owners and most say yes they switch off at home.

I would ideally like another spaniel x lurcher/ whippet....but often consider spaniels.......only thing that puts me off is mine live inside and the amount of mud they would bring in. 

• Like 1

I've got a little bitch here first ever spaniel and never known a dog so chilled out around the house pleasure to be with she is coming up 4 but she is from working dogs I've heard of some with show blood in being a pure pain 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I’m interested in cockers and crosses too. A popular cross is with a beagle. Has anyone had one of these, and I’m assuming the beagle in the mix would make for a better dog for bushing with the lurchers as it would follow a trail a bit better, and probably wouldn’t be as hectic, maybe a bit more steady. But what would they be like for taking bush beating on a shoot? Would the beagle blood make them unsuitable for this. The reason I ask, is that most of my work would be bushing for the lurchers, but maybe 2 or 3 days bush beating throughout the season.