Guard dogs

30 minutes ago, steve66 said:

I know one or two on here bought dogs for guarding there property , just wonderd  there views and how they got on ?

My wife grew up with Doberman’s, most of her family had them back in the day. I was never keen. I’ve always been a Bull breed man. After losing my last Bull Grey I decided I would cave in and let her have a Doberman pup. I couldn’t get on with it at all, he wasn’t keen on me, and the feeling was quite mutual TBH. I couldn’t work him out at all. Nothing like I had ever worked with before. Anyway I wasn’t too fussed as it was the wife’s Dog and she took him to pup school and put time in. 

As he came out of Puppy stage and into a young Dog, things changed. We clicked and TBH he has blown me away, his Guarding and protective instincts are spot on, his exercise tolerance is through the roof (and I’ve had Pits and Good athletic Stafford’s) He’s now my best mate and he seems bomb proof. I think I’m going to get another one. Superb specimen 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Something you dont see around here is dobermans , lovely looking dogs , always thought be ok put over a greyhound 

Seen a few different imported ones apparently from working bloodlines.One did very well winning a very competitive working trial.All the rest were gobby,Scatty,hyperactive bags of shit.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Something you dont see around here is dobermans , lovely looking dogs , always thought be ok put over a greyhound 

There were a few around years ago. An old mate of mine had a pup close to 40 years ago, whip/grey x doberman. Bitch about 22"". She was 'fairly' fast in a straight line, but lacked agility. Was 'ok' on some lamped rabbits, but that was about it really. Bred her to a collie/grey x saluki/grey. He kept two pups, that went on to be pretty good alrounders. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dougieboy said:

My wife grew up with Doberman’s, most of her family had them back in the day. I was never keen. I’ve always been a Bull breed man. After losing my last Bull Grey I decided I would cave in and let her have a Doberman pup. I couldn’t get on with it at all, he wasn’t keen on me, and the feeling was quite mutual TBH. I couldn’t work him out at all. Nothing like I had ever worked with before. Anyway I wasn’t too fussed as it was the wife’s Dog and she took him to pup school and put time in. 

As he came out of Puppy stage and into a young Dog, things changed. We clicked and TBH he has blown me away, his Guarding and protective instincts are spot on, his exercise tolerance is through the roof (and I’ve had Pits and Good athletic Stafford’s) He’s now my best mate and he seems bomb proof. I think I’m going to get another one. Superb specimen 

Neighbour ,ex plod has a rescue one ,from Spain i think ,cropped ears ,bitch, absolutely colossal, paws are like a man's fist ,seems quite lively, wouldn't climb into hes back garden ! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

Seen a few different imported ones apparently from working bloodlines.One did very well winning a very competitive working trial.All the rest were gobby,Scatty,hyperactive bags of shit.

There's one behind someone's gate round the corner from me. Bounces about at the gate barking whenever anyone walks passed.

Barks at anyone from toddlers and pushchairs to old women though ffs lol

4 hours ago, Dougieboy said:

My mate had one in the late 80s early 90s and it could follow the lurcher over everything they went over and keen on big game and humans when they came to the door.Even like a bit of feather when they flew low to the ground mate but if anyone came up to you he would of shedded them.

• Like 1

I had this horrid fooker for almost 8 years,he was bred from a Croatian police dog to a highly trained bitch,but he must have been lacking in oxygen as he was born....he was a right retarded prick...he killed 2 terriers on me over a 4 year gap and nearly took down the mother in law (God rest her) one xmass morn...I hated that dog...he kept strangers out but was unstable...happiest day was when I took him for his last walk..

Never again will one darken my door

Screenshot_2021-01-14-19-01-46-384_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-14-19-01-20-697_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, lurchers said:

My mate had one in the late 80s early 90s and it could follow the lurcher over everything they went over and keen on big game and humans when they came to the door.Even like a bit of feather when they flew low to the ground mate but if anyone came up to you he would of shedded them.

That’s one thing that bowled me over about this Dog, he can run, they do have greyhound in there make up and they are very much like a sight hound. His prey drive is phenomenal. Then back at home he’s good with other Dogs, great with my Grandson but never off guard. A real all rounder in my eyes. He’s a good athletic type. That was the only thing I insisted on. 

he really is some Dog, I can not fault him 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, MH1 said:

There's one behind someone's gate round the corner from me. Bounces about at the gate barking whenever anyone walks passed.

Barks at anyone from toddlers and pushchairs to old women though ffs lol

Always get the Dick head owners. Who don’t mind if there Dogs slapped on the Dangerous dogs list. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

I had this horrid fooker for almost 8 years,he was bred from a Croatian police dog to a highly trained bitch,but he must have been lacking in oxygen as he was born....he was a right retarded prick...he killed 2 terriers on me over a 4 year gap and nearly took down the mother in law (God rest her) one xmass morn...I hated that dog...he kept strangers out but was unstable...happiest day was when I took him for his last walk..

Never again will one darken my door

Screenshot_2021-01-14-19-01-46-384_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-14-19-01-20-697_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Nearly took out the Mother in law? I couldn’t borrow him for the weekend could I ? 

• Haha 7