Dog or Bitch?

The first two lurchers I picked as pups were both bitches. That was simply becaused I was advised that bitches were better. I've always regretted it though as I really liked the character of a male in the first litter and have always wondered how he turned out. Because of this I assumed for a while that I preferred dogs and chose accordingly. Now, as you've said, I just pick the pup I have a good feeling about regardless of what sex it is.

• Like 4

My personal preference is bitches I bond with them better an can get them to do my bidding pretty easy. I don’t think there’s no working difference in the 2 tbh but with dogs the thing that kills me the most is the pulling to every post to piss on it an often going deaf if they can smell in season bitches have been about ive said id never have another dog but who knows what the future holds if you do a litter an one takes your eye you gotta go with that gut feeling it’s never the wrong choice only if it don’t work out the way you expected 

Edited by poxon
  • Like 3

I used to always aim to be all bitches but ended up with a dog and now have eight adult bitches and four adult dogs about the place. Found it’s probably more to do with individual dog than sex. But having said that I think it’s easier to get a dog to a certain level than a bitch, but if you get a real hard bitch, she’s usually something special. Got a litter here now and I’ll be keeping a dog and bitch to run on as they are the stand out two pups. 

Some bitches have bad seasons. My mate had a coursing bitch and when she was in season it would ruin her for weeks. That’s not a problem in the summer, but it is if she falls in the winter. Plus if you keep them in the house you have the blood to contend with. Of the dogs/bitches I’ve had, the dogs have been better on fox and have been that bit stronger too. But I love the bond I get with a bitch. 

On 14/01/2021 at 20:36, moonlighter said:

Some bitches have bad seasons. My mate had a coursing bitch and when she was in season it would ruin her for weeks. That’s not a problem in the summer, but it is if she falls in the winter. Plus if you keep them in the house you have the blood to contend with. Of the dogs/bitches I’ve had, the dogs have been better on fox and have been that bit stronger too. But I love the bond I get with a bitch. 

I had a collie x whippet once who had her first season at only about seven or eight months old. She then went on to have them regularly every four to five months. Good job she was meticulously clean.

20 hours ago, Neal said:

I had a collie x whippet once who had her first season at only about seven or eight months old. She then went on to have them regularly every four to five months. Good job she was meticulously clean.

i had bitch, who only came in heat once a year, she prob was down, with general fitness for about a month after, so didnt run her, and prob took  another 2 weekd on top 6 weeks all in all before she was back to her best. she was prob my best alrounder type lurcher, she do hsres in the day, and rabbits foxes in the lamp, she was very greyhound in appearance , prob 3/4 grey drop of whippet, and drop collie, but say  90% greyhound .but my male lurcher Buck,near as good as her , when he was younger and fit, so all in all,  a male better to have, and work all year round, always stick with males now. 

Just now, bird said:

i had bitch, who only came in heat once a year, she prob was down, with general fitness for about a month after, so didnt run her, and prob took  another 2 weekd on top 6 weeks all in all before she was back to her best. she was prob my best alrounder type lurcher, she do hares in the day, and rabbits foxes in the lamp, she was very greyhound in appearance , prob 3/4 grey drop of whippet, and drop collie, but say  90% greyhound .but my male lurcher Buck,near as good as her , when he was younger and fit, so all in all,  a male better to have, and work all year round, always stick with males now.