11 hours ago, David.evans said:

I wouldn’t want a argument with him any time soon , what do you lot do sell the fur 

Depends on the animal state time if year and so on. Cats are almost always sold for fur year round. The glands ,skulls,claws and teeth are with a good bit too if you know how to market.  Depending on the year and market a decent bellied cat ( when I say that I'm referring to how white the belly fur and spots are ) can average $50-$250 if put up right but on high years good ones can average $500-$2000 on top lots. 

Not hard to sell a cleaned skull for $10-$20 on ebay or something . Even seen a few people who carve paint and decorate them  and re sell them for a good profit.  Lots for people will make earrings or necklaces with the teeth and claws and the glands can be sold to bait and lure makers for a nice profit if they are preserved correctly.

With all that being said most who shoot one eveyone and then will just toss it in the bush's and move on with life. But that being said when billy bob the deer hunter blasts a 25lbs bib cat with a 30-06 not much you can do with it after wards lol

• Like 2
11 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Especially if you're a bobcat!

Lol or a fox,or otter,beaver,coyote ,coon,possum? really want legal furbearing animal. Dude friggen slays fur.  Build a whole bussiness and live offa fur money for a while.516072529_unnamed(1).jpg.e816ab48a0f11826153c4361411e874a.jpg

He has a pretty good free podcast BTW lots of stuff on trappings snaring shooting gardening business  ect something y'all might find interesting

http://trappingradio2.com/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
2 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Lol or a fox,or otter,beaver,coyote ,coon,possum? really want legal furbearing animal. Dude friggen slays fur.  Build a whole bussiness and live offa fur money for a while.516072529_unnamed(1).jpg.e816ab48a0f11826153c4361411e874a.jpg

He has a pretty good free podcast BTW lots of stuff on trappings snaring shooting gardening business  ect something y'all might find interesting

http://trappingradio2.com/

That’s some fur...

I like watching the Wild North .He’s a killer and does it how I would ,ruthless .I subscribe to about 10 US trapping sites and lament the passing of the fur trade here .This winter has seen the best fox pelts I’ve seen for years .Just a shame they ain’t worth nothing .

• Like 3
3 hours ago, foxdropper said:

I like watching the Wild North .He’s a killer and does it how I would ,ruthless .I subscribe to about 10 US trapping sites and lament the passing of the fur trade here .This winter has seen the best fox pelts I’ve seen for years .Just a shame they ain’t worth nothing .

I know what you are saying and i have skinned and sold my share of foxes in the past. However i am glad the pelts are worthless really because if there was any value in them every Tom, Dick and Billy Bob would be killing them.  

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Meece said:

308 is suitable for pig and deer but it is a pretty heafty calibre for a bobcat. What sort of exit wound on that pelt.  Was there much stitching involved.?

I didn't see it.My father just sent me the picture.They were targeting coyotes that day.Im sure the taxidermist will have his work cut out for him.

22 minutes ago, Meece said:

308 is suitable for pig and deer but it is a pretty heafty calibre for a bobcat. What sort of exit wound on that pelt.  Was there much stitching involved.?

Depends.

I loaded my 308's with a range of bullets. Some made a mess and some just drilled them.

I even loaded it for rabbit.

A premium large game bullet most probably would not have time to expand fully on a small cat but some on the other hand are quite dramatic. Some speer 150gn hot cores aross the ribs of a fox would make little mess but the same bullet end for end and there would be carnage!

Just because it is a 308 it dosnt mean its going to result in greater carnage.

• Like 1
On 14/01/2021 at 21:28, Sausagedog said:

Depends.

I loaded my 308's with a range of bullets. Some made a mess and some just drilled them.

I even loaded it for rabbit.

A premium large game bullet most probably would not have time to expand fully on a small cat but some on the other hand are quite dramatic. Some speer 150gn hot cores aross the ribs of a fox would make little mess but the same bullet end for end and there would be carnage!

Just because it is a 308 it dosnt mean its going to result in greater carnage.

Yes. This is very true.  My 223 has had very varying effects on red fox with different bullets. Some have gone right through with a clean hole. In fact we did have one instance of a fox with healed wounds of a bullet that went right through without killing it. And conversely we have seen foxes running with all of their guts dragging along the ground where the shock impact has opened it up like a knife. The injuries depend on if bones are hit also. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2021 at 14:12, Rickshaw swami said:

Screenshot_20210113-080927.png.218a9fcac1a34a83bda2a2cb70e8b117.png

Just received this picture of little brother and my niece from yesterday afternoon.

Do you have a bounty on coyotes at your end?

On 13/01/2021 at 16:17, W. Katchum said:

How rare are them bobcats mate? Considering like most hunters you spend an awful lot time out into he land, may times you saw them in wild ? An is it only ever a fleeting glimpse?

I've seen two the whole time I've lived here. Both in the yard when I first moved in in about a week of each other. I installed a trailcam shortly after but I haven't seen one since. We do get mountain lions from time to time. My Mrs gets a notification on her neighborhood app when there's been a sighting in the area. Not surprising as there are more deer here than people!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

Do you have a bounty on coyotes at your end?

I've seen two the whole time I've lived here. Both in the yard when I first moved in in about a week of each other. I installed a trailcam shortly after but I haven't seen one since. We do get mountain lions from time to time. My Mrs gets a notification on her neighborhood app when there's been a sighting in the area. Not surprising as there are more deer here than people!

As far as I am aware there is no bounty in Al but I think there is in nearby Georgia.

• Like 1