Starting out

I don't know my arse from my elbow regarding bushing. 

I mostly ferret and lamp with my whippets, but I've got an 8yr old border terrier and some access to some fairly open land (east Anglia).

One whippet is mustard lamping except for his retrieve, but he never hunts up after a slip and comes straight back to me. However I've taken the terrier and whip out a couple times bushing and they just run around with their noses down - getting them to recall is frustrating and time consuming.

Would I be best off keeping the whip on a slip? At least until he figures out the game, and also to keep the terrier closer. I'm not too fussed about getting much in the bag, it's more about enjoying myself.

Next question is.......do many of you use trackers? I wouldn't dream of ferreting without collars, is bushing along the same lines - you can do it happily without trackers but I'd be happier still with some?

And lastly.... If trackers are the way forward, is the sportdog Tek 2.0 the best choice? 

Thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, Balaur said:

You'll get better advice but I'd keep whippet on slip , why do you need a tracker does border go on for miles, basically want whippet to watch the terrier , you need plenty on game about ideally. If I wanted fun I'd let them both rip atb Joe

Thanks for reply Joe, all advice is welcome!

I'm out tomorrow so will keep the whippet tethered until something pops up.

13 hours ago, Balaur said:

You'll get better advice but I'd keep whippet on slip , why do you need a tracker does border go on for miles, basically want whippet to watch the terrier , you need plenty on game about ideally. If I wanted fun I'd let them both rip atb Joe

IMG_20210110_102804.jpg.cb24c55b9754d81d71be2733567c0e52.jpg

We had a couple of hours mooching about. I kept the whippet on a slip. The terrier stayed fairly close, he's usually fairly reliable at coming in on a whistle. 

There wasn't much sign of rabbits about, but we did come across a small herd of fallow - glad the whippet was on a lead.

We were working our way back and the terrier kicked up a hare which the whippet couldn't see for the heather and ant hills in-between us and it. The terrier though got his nose down and disappeared for forty minutes, til I spotted him running around way off in the distance.

Think I'll take a serious look at a tracking system!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Balaur said:

Sounds like a fun day out.... Is the terrier vocal? Well I've only used GPS on the runner , I'd be happier using a mini collar as the standard is a bit bulky for a runner imo. As for busher I can't comment, if mine does go off which isn't often he's straight back , generally not near roads and yaps on certain stuff. Don't see fallow and hare near me either, great stuff.

To add if you can find somewhere lifting with rabbits you'll speed up the pack/team sussing out what each other are about. My runner doesn't pay much heed to the busher unless he's vocal or physically pushing bunnies out under her nose...

The terrier is quiet. I'm bit of a plastic countryman so he's not seen too much other than rabbits (we've done plenty of ferreting) and odd rat.

Which GPS system are you using? 

4 hours ago, Suffolkpest said:

We had a couple of hours mooching about. I kept the whippet on a slip. The terrier stayed fairly close, he's usually fairly reliable at coming in on a whistle. 

There wasn't much sign of rabbits about, but we did come across a small herd of fallow - glad the whippet was on a lead.

We were working our way back and the terrier kicked up a hare which the whippet couldn't see for the heather and ant hills in-between us and it. The terrier though got his nose down and disappeared for forty minutes, til I spotted him running around way off in the distance.

If your Rendlesham forest way(looks like you might be) there's plenty of fallow that'll take your dogs for miles there...:laugh:

11 minutes ago, fireman said:

If your Rendlesham forest way(looks like you might be) there's plenty of fallow that'll take your dogs for miles there...:laugh:

I know rendlesham, but it's not my neck of.

Plenty of deer in Suffolk, all species. Reds seem to be a lot more common now and muntjac are almost a plague!

Heard a couple of reports about wild boar in the Woodbridge area recently.

Edited by Suffolkpest
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Suffolkpest said:

I know rendlesham, but it's not my neck of.

Plenty of deer in Suffolk, all species. Reds seem to be a lot more common now and muntjac are almost a plague!

Had a couple of reports about wild boar in the Woodbridge area recently.

Some of the best reds in the UK are in suffolk along the coast there bud, will be fun if there are boar about that way for the dog walkers in the forest though..

The red flag bit might be because folk will wonder what your up to with a terrier and running dog with trackers on, it can be as you may find out one day a tad hot in some places to have such dogs let alone with trackers on them...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Suffolkpest said:

There good just to give you that peace of mind and if he fooking off for fourty minutes a time I’d deffo get one. If your interested I’ve got a garmin t5 mini spare. Probably couple of year old. Never had any problems with it you would just need the right handset for it. I have the 360 handset but don’t think they sell that one think you have to buy the Astro 430. All from gps4u in America. Think there about 250 maybe a bit more. I’ve got three but only ever really use 1 at a time so it’s there if you wanted. I’d sell for 150 with charger obviously. Rather see it get some use than sit there doing nothing Atb Igz

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Igz said:

There good just to give you that peace of mind and if he fooking off for fourty minutes a time I’d deffo get one. If your interested I’ve got a garmin t5 mini spare. Probably couple of year old. Never had any problems with it you would just need the right handset for it. I have the 360 handset but don’t think they sell that one think you have to buy the Astro 430. All from gps4u in America. Think there about 250 maybe a bit more. I’ve got three but only ever really use 1 at a time so it’s there if you wanted. I’d sell for 150 with charger obviously. Rather see it get some use than sit there doing nothing Atb Igz

Thanks for the offer, appreciated. 

Tbh I think if I go down this route I'll go for the sportdog Tek - been looking at reviews and videos on YouTube. Plus with my history with tech I'd need as much warranty as possible!