A new starter

Just now, Daniel cain said:

Lol, they are no different to any other x, they are smart enough to know and be trained when to use that jaw power?

they are clever dogs, i found them easy to train, that 1/4 bred no prob , brought back rabbits as well, i like the x , but my gsd x grey prob that bit better with  better coat/feet, and more agile  if i am honest .

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back at her day job this morning ? 

Most half decent dogs will catch rabbits.  

if i had a small child in the house i would be very reluctant to get a rescue dog  ,,regardless of the breed  

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

My concern with too much bull in the mix would be it smashing the rabbits up? Could be very wrong as like mentioned never had any experience with bull crosses, although seem to be in almost every lurcher i see now so I guess must be some logic to it 

I know a lot of bull x (including the one i lost start of this season, and her sister who my mate has) who will retrieve rabbits live to hand, and I know a lot of whippets, including the one I had, who prefer to crunch them to bits or shake them to death lol. IME Bull makes them very trainable, loyal and smart. However, probably not much point in getting a half x for ferreting lol.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, bird said:

mate i   hsd 1/4 pit 3 /4 grey , 26in 70 odd lb , well fast for rabbits,  and took foxes with him as well, ive had 3/8 pits 5/8 greys as well , all good dogs , but i think the 1/4 pit , was poss the best rabbit dog. But you can get 2nd gem bred 1xs as well , nice  racey bitch say 24in  65lb , they not all big heavy types , but as said 1/4 pit enough for any lurcher to catch rabbits.  my dog from the 80s              

bruce  99.JPG

Very nice looking dog! like I've said I'm very much a complete novice when it comes to lurchers, only ever really known the collie cross my old man used to have and just assumed people adding bull to take the bigger stuff. Hearing you and others say about using a bull Cross for rabbits though has definitely opened up a lot of other options to me! Cheers for your help mate ? 

53 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I know a lot of bull x (including the one i lost start of this season, and her sister who my mate has) who will retrieve rabbits live to hand, and I know a lot of whippets, including the one I had, who prefer to crunch them to bits or shake them to death lol. IME Bull makes them very trainable, loyal and smart. However, probably not much point in getting a half x for ferreting lol.

Thats extremely interesting to read that, I would have never thought the whippet would be the cruncher out of the 2! 

8 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Thats extremely interesting to read that, I would have never thought the whippet would be the cruncher out of the 2! 

A lot of whippets are very hard mouthed mate. Seemed to come EXTREMELY easily to some of mine! Lol ?

• Like 1

Daft prices invite daft offers! Seriously though just because pups are advertised for more than you think is fair or want to pay doesn't mean you cant negotiate with the seller. If your honest and respectful you might get lucky! 

At the end of the day a dog is only worth what someone is willing to pay, it's not like a piece of furniture for example that someone has had to buy in the materials for and then taken the time to make it! 

If your only really after a ferreting dog then most pup can be trained up.... I hope you find something mate....

All the best with your search ?

I won't have any thing with bull in again. Bright as a button but the drive dear god like having a 26 inch terrier. No doubt when his gone I will be winging like a bitch when the next one is pussy footing about the place ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, terryd said:

I won't have any thing with bull in again. Bright as a button but the drive dear god like having a 26 inch terrier. No doubt when his gone I will be winging like a bitch when the next one is pussy footing about the place ?

Believe Terry u will miss him ?

27 minutes ago, jpt said:

Daft prices invite daft offers! Seriously though just because pups are advertised for more than you think is fair or want to pay doesn't mean you cant negotiate with the seller. If your honest and respectful you might get lucky! 

At the end of the day a dog is only worth what someone is willing to pay, it's not like a piece of furniture for example that someone has had to buy in the materials for and then taken the time to make it! 

If your only really after a ferreting dog then most pup can be trained up.... I hope you find something mate....

All the best with your search ?

With the amount of people wanting dogs currently it really is a seller market in my opinion, granted if I knew some people or even friends of friends then yeah maybe it would be negotiable, but currently if I say no to a £500 lurcher then the next 20 people will snatch them because unfortunately that seems cheap at this moment. I see lots of post abiut people not wanting to pay more than £150/£200 but I've not seen any pups for sale even close to that of late.

I will continue to look daily though and im sure sooner or later something will come up. 

Cheers mate ? 

7 minutes ago, terryd said:

I wouldnt have entertained anything will bull in before reading what the other chaps have said tonight and now tbh it sounds like a bit of bull is whats needed haha 

£150/£200 for a dog! The only way you will find a pup at that price is if you know someone well, £300/£400 is a fair price to pay if you dont know the seller. 

Patients is a virtue my friend, keep your eyes open, something will turn up, ?

1 minute ago, Black neck said:

Believe Terry u will miss him ?

Yea I know up for any thing any time any where. When he hit two he matured and the clutch went and bang went reverse. Few issues with him but thats just me he was too much for me 

Just now, scottpenn28 said:

With the amount of people wanting dogs currently it really is a seller market in my opinion, granted if I knew some people or even friends of friends then yeah maybe it would be negotiable, but currently if I say no to a £500 lurcher then the next 20 people will snatch them because unfortunately that seems cheap at this moment. I see lots of post abiut people not wanting to pay more than £150/£200 but I've not seen any pups for sale even close to that of late.

I will continue to look daily though and im sure sooner or later something will come up. 

Cheers mate ? 

Little of deer hound grey x bull grey in northwales on fb for 250. Working parents both can be seen. At that price its a good sign 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, terryd said:

Yea I know up for any thing any time any where. When he hit two he matured and the clutch went and bang went reverse. Few issues with him but thats just me he was too much for me 

Little of deer hound grey x bull grey in northwales on fb for 250. Working parents both can be seen. At that price its a good sign 

good price terry, and to see both parents , i knew bloke who had that x , a real good alrounder   took all game big/small