A new starter

14 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

What kind of dog are you after, for doing what, on what kind of ground. Used to lamp and mooch a lot around your area and a couple of my mates are still living that way, plenty to go at and nice ground for a runner.

Ideally would want something that I could lamp and ferret with. No interest in running teeth or bigger just rabbits. Only real experience I've had with lurchers were my dads years ago, mostly being some sort of collie cross. He had a bearded collie x greyhound (possibly also a slight bit of deerhound but not 100%) which was an absolute machine at running rabbits but unbelievably soft around people. Used to go ferreting with a few lads who previously owned beddlington whippets and im a fan of them but not sure what they were like just on the lamp. if I had to choose id like something with a bit of collie in there. 90% of my permission is grass fields with the occasional patch of crops

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back at her day job this morning ? 

Most half decent dogs will catch rabbits.  

if i had a small child in the house i would be very reluctant to get a rescue dog  ,,regardless of the breed  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, white van man said:

And they generally won’t re home to a working home 

I looked to rehome a lurcher years ago and as soon as I mentioned working her they flat out refused (wasn't aware they didn't like that idea when I was chatting to them)

22 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Ideally would want something that I could lamp and ferret with. No interest in running teeth or bigger just rabbits. Only real experience I've had with lurchers were my dads years ago, mostly being some sort of collie cross. He had a bearded collie x greyhound (possibly also a slight bit of deerhound but not 100%) which was an absolute machine at running rabbits but unbelievably soft around people. Used to go ferreting with a few lads who previously owned beddlington whippets and im a fan of them but not sure what they were like just on the lamp. if I had to choose id like something with a bit of collie in there. 90% of my permission is grass fields with the occasional patch of crops

Deffo want a pup ? 

1 hour ago, scottpenn28 said:

Get your self a Lurcher to lurcher bred mix up of the traditional bred stuff handy lampers,ferreters,moochers don’t worry your self about a set cross 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, poxon said:

Get your self a Lurcher to lurcher bred mix up of the traditional bred stuff handy lampers,ferreters,moochers don’t worry your self about a set cross 

Am not particularly fussed on the mix, lurcher to lurcher would be fine, trouble im having is where to look, my spaniel has a decent pedigree so I know straight away her parents were both decent working dogs and was also able to watch the mother to her working before I agreed to buy. With knowing almost nobody with lurchers im cautious about buying from classifieds as there is no way of knowing what your getting. Guess I could just be overthinking and worrying about nothing 

I’m sure if you wait till season ends in next couple of months or so there will be a few advertised on here at decent prices. Good dogs will be getting worked now and bred when its all finished. Just hold out and keep asking the question on here and sure something will come up for you. Keep checking the for sale page as things do still come up. Atb Igz

• Like 2

When my old bitch got nicked I saw it 14 month later on lurcher link in Halifax West Yorkshire I phoned them told them it was my bitch etc told me to go down the bitch came flying over the fence and jumped up into my arms. Kaye the woman who runs it seems a decent woman too she knows they're not just pets. They've usually got a few in for foster

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I've said it many a times before.. 

Get yourself to the rescue centre and give a jukel a chance. 

No pressure and no expectations, chances are if you bring it on right it will catch rabbits. 

We have a few lurcher rescue spots near me but none will entertain me rehoming one as I have a small child  

25 minutes ago, Igz said:

I’m sure if you wait till season ends in next couple of months or so there will be a few advertised on here at decent prices. Good dogs will be getting worked now and bred when its all finished. Just hold out and keep asking the question on here and sure something will come up for you. Keep checking the for sale page as things do still come up. Atb Igz

Yeah have been keeping a check on them but like you say, I imagined many of the owners won't be putting theirs dogs into pup thus time of year