A new starter

Hi all, may well be stupid question but looking for some advice. 

My dad ran lurchers for many years when I was younger and before I was born my uncle and grandad also both ran lurchers. Used to absolutely love lamping with dad when I was a boy but the opportunity never really presented itself to me when I was younger to get a lurcher of my own. 

My dad hasn't owned a lurcher for probably 15 years and my uncle for probably 30. Now I have a son of my own id like give him the opportunity to be a part of this sport. I have ferrets, shotguns, rifles and spaniels but always had a soft spot for watching a lurcher run. 

My question is, as someone who has pretty much zero connection to anybody with running dogs where do you start looking? I've got permission so wouldnt just be buying 1 for the sake of it. Lots of dogs seem to get sold on Facebook by people who own them for 5 minutes and assume they are dead weight so how do you go about finding genuine dog men/women? Pets4homes is full of pets and people charging what is regarded as silly money for puppies. Constant brick walls if your trying to get into this sport it seems.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back at her day job this morning ? 

Most half decent dogs will catch rabbits.  

if i had a small child in the house i would be very reluctant to get a rescue dog  ,,regardless of the breed  

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

My dad ran lurchers for many years when I was younger and before I was born my uncle and grandad also both ran lurchers. Used to absolutely love lamping with dad when I was a boy but the opportunity never really presented itself to me when I was younger to get a lurcher of my own. 

My dad hasn't owned a lurcher for probably 15 years and my uncle for probably 30. Now I have a son of my own id like give him the opportunity to be a part of this sport. I have ferrets, shotguns, rifles and spaniels but always had a soft spot for watching a lurcher run. 

My question is, as someone who has pretty much zero connection to anybody with running dogs where do you start looking? I've got permission so wouldnt just be buying 1 for the sake of it. Lots of dogs seem to get sold on Facebook by people who own them for 5 minutes and assume they are dead weight so how do you go about finding genuine dog men/women? Pets4homes is full of pets and people charging what is regarded as silly money for puppies. Constant brick walls if your trying to get into this sport it seems.

Where you from ?

43 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Had them from birth and they have all been bought from classifieds off strangers 

• Like 1

Don’t go rushing into anything mate. I was in a similar  position a Few years ago. Hadn’t worked Lurchers for a good few years and had no contacts. Keep an eye out on here. There’s no need to spend silly money and don’t go taking on something that sounds too good to be true on Facebook. Something will come up. ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, riohog said:

it doesnt happen over night pal .folk need to trust first  esspecially in this day and age 

Yeah completely agree with that, rarely post photos of my spaniel or photos my days out because you never know who is watching. Am also super awkward with who I go ferreting/shooting with because it only takes a couple of people to spread the word. Other folks are certainly the same because of not trusting people, especially strangers so almost impossible haha 

2 minutes ago, white van man said:

Don’t go rushing into anything mate. I was in a similar  position a Few years ago. Hadn’t worked Lurchers for a good few years and had no contacts. Keep an eye out on here. There’s no need to spend silly money and don’t go taking on something that sounds too good to be true on Facebook. Something will come up. ?

Yeah have been seeing dogs every 5 minutes for sale but my opinion is people rarely sell good dogs and I cant justify spending what pups are costing currently so will certainly be waiting for the right pup to come along. People cashing in on covid and now the charities are getting overrun with unwanted dogs. Hoping I can meet or speak with a few dog men who could eventually point me in a decent direction 

• Like 1