Thermal Monocular

9 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

I bought one about 4 months ago and as much as seeing what is around for hunting it’s just nice to watch nature doing what it does after dark. watching barn owls, foxes hunting recently noticed the rabbits getting in the mood it’s not all about killing stuff just good to get out, see things you could never see it daylight or with a lamp. 

Perv

• Haha 1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nay nay nay Mr Wilkes its clearly a parrot ?

I bought one about 4 months ago and as much as seeing what is around for hunting it’s just nice to watch nature doing what it does after dark. watching barn owls, foxes hunting recently noticed the ra

I personally haven’t but I imagine that it would be great for day time hare spotting when they are tight in there seat??  I wouldn’t recommend buying a cheap one though, a mate bought a ‘cheap’ £400

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Have used a range, my mate has the top range one, and its great, you can see something a km away very clearly. . . . . . which is fairly pointless really. I want to see whats within the max 100 acre field I'm in, and I want to know what it is and run it with my dog. One thing a lot of people forget is go for one with low mag, as you will be scanning fields if using a dog, not trying to zoom in and stick a slug in its head across a field. Xm30 is fine. Have some funny moments with thermal, spent a while walking up a big fallow buck once, which was a chimney stack sticking over a hedge. Theres a bit of an art to getting it all right, with range, quarry identification etc, especially if there are two of you, one using the thermal and one the lamp. 

I know exactly what you mean ?. I also think like you say the 38 is probably too much tool for the job as really your only using them as a spotter. Not often you zoom in on stuff but it does help identify better but I just make a balls up instead like you and run sumet that isn’t there or atleast  go to ?

6 minutes ago, Igz said:

I know exactly what you mean ?. I also think like you say the 38 is probably too much tool for the job as really your only using them as a spotter. Not often you zoom in on stuff but it does help identify better but I just make a balls up instead like you and run sumet that isn’t there or atleast  go to ?

The number of times it isn’t what we thought when the dog is slipped, I’m bloody glad I’m not using it to shoot at stuff ? most of the time it’s getting confused how zoomed in it is and thinking it’s bigger or smaller depending on distance. 

Had mine a few seasons now and plenty of use. Done it last week thinking something was something it wasn’t and I’m sure I’ll still be doing it in another 3 seasons. Can’t moan though mines been through the wars. Dropped and not just on grass fields I don’t know how many times came in ditches up to my chest in water a couple of times With me ?. It’s missing a couple of bits like lens cover. Rubber round eye piece all worn and looks like it’s been dragged through a muddy field most of the time but it’s just as good as when I brought it for spotting. If I ever needed another I would deffo try getting a look through something cheaper and if it worked I’d go with it. 

21 hours ago, brambles said:

Any of you lads use one? If so what sort of money would you need to spend to get one that does a reasonable job. I see them from £180-£3000, any help is appreciated 

Axiom key 30 will do you fine mate. I tried a mates pulsar 38 and 50 and they re over kill for a spotter for a dog. Think mine was £1100 . Took me ages to decide to fork out all that till u realise how much ground it opens for you 

• Like 2

I personally haven’t but I imagine that it would be great for day time hare spotting when they are tight in there seat?? 
I wouldn’t recommend buying a cheap one though, a mate bought a ‘cheap’ £400 one and compared to my £1000ish Pulsar XM30s it’s absolute rubbish. Mine is the bottom pulsar entry model but it’s brilliant just no record, colour change etc which I don’t need anyway. Buy cheap buy twice. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

I personally haven’t but I imagine that it would be great for day time hare spotting when they are tight in there seat?? 
I wouldn’t recommend buying a cheap one though, a mate bought a ‘cheap’ £400 one and compared to my £1000ish Pulsar XM30s it’s absolute rubbish. Mine is the bottom pulsar entry model but it’s brilliant just no record, colour change etc which I don’t need anyway. Buy cheap buy twice. 

That's the way I've went mate gone for the xm30 ?

• Like 4