Attempting bullet casting

I was given some 55gn tips to reload , but I  never tried them because of the requirement of low velocity to avoid lead fouling.  My developed load runs 3400 with 55 through 1:12 twist.  I would have had to develop a load somewhere near 1100 to avoid lead fouling on the rifling. If the AR 15 is 1:8 theè could be serious issues with fouling and /or recycling of the action. What powder /spèed are you going to use.?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got most of the stuff I felt I need to start casting my own bullets.  Made my first small run tonight. Didn't even get half way though my 10lbs lead pot and have close to 100 or so .225 dia 55

Well got my first batch of powder coated bullets done. Think the traffic cone puple color is gonna cause a few laughs at the range but hay all good fun ?

Did some one say muzzleloader!

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, KimE said:

Hodgdon Trail boss could be used to take the speed down to 1100. A hard cast bullet can take speed maybee up to 1500fps.

It's  down to compromise between speed / bullet drop .... barrel fouling and enough recoil to cycle the action. In my situation I just require a point,shoot, hit round. I couldnt see any advantage to shoot a bullet with a trajectory like a rainbow. 

1 minute ago, Meece said:

It's  down to compromise between speed / bullet drop .... barrel fouling and enough recoil to cycle the action. In my situation I just require a point,shoot, hit round. I couldnt see any advantage to shoot a bullet with a trajectory like a rainbow. 

It's ok....pot of gold at the other end you know!

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

It's ok....pot of gold at the other end you know!

There may well be but I could never find the golden bullet. ?  seriously a 22 lr 40gn out of my Anschutz target rifle at about 1100 is the same zero at 15 mtrs and 50 mtrs. at 25 it is about 3 clicks above the optical line when the bullet gets to 100 mtrs the bullet has dropped to 20 clicks below the optical line.  probably by 150 the bullet would hit the ground. maybe.  I've not shot target at 150.  But I know that I can just point and shoot rabbit head at about eighty freehand when zeroed at about 70.

3 minutes ago, Meece said:

There may well be but I could never find the golden bullet. ?  seriously a 22 lr 40gn out of my Anschutz target rifle at about 1100 is the same zero at 15 mtrs and 50 mtrs. at 25 it is about 3 clicks above the optical line when the bullet gets to 100 mtrs the bullet has dropped to 20 clicks below the optical line.  probably by 150 the bullet would hit the ground. maybe.  I've not shot target at 150.  But I know that I can just point and shoot rabbit head at about eighty freehand when zeroed at about 70.

Yeah know ?

15 hours ago, Meece said:

I was given some 55gn tips to reload , but I  never tried them because of the requirement of low velocity to avoid lead fouling.  My developed load runs 3400 with 55 through 1:12 twist.  I would have had to develop a load somewhere near 1100 to avoid lead fouling on the rifling. If the AR 15 is 1:8 theè could be serious issues with fouling and /or recycling of the action. What powder /spèed are you going to use.?

Mine is a 1:7 supposed to prefer the 60-107 grain stuff more but it shoots most 55grain stuff I feed it at 1-1.5moa so hoping it will shoot this around the same. But again due to me make this with a harder BHN and with the powder coat I should have able to push this much faster than standard cast lead. Elvisammo on youtube has been able to get around 2500fos with powder coated bullets and his alloy is like 14 I think mine should be around 17 plus I'm gas checking mine . So hoping for 2300 fps -2600.  He had good luck with 2015 and another winchester powder that escapes me but I have a pound of both to play with not to mention 4-5 more that are know to work pretty well with cast .

• Like 1
On 07/01/2021 at 08:32, Wolfdog91 said:

Yeah that's the problem with cast in a AR and semi autos in general. Traditional cast at least. With the powder coat ,a metal gas check and a harder BHN lead (most traditional his only use like a 10-12 15 tops but I'm staring out at 15 and with the water quenching hopefully I can end up around 18-21)  I should be able to push them at higher speeds and pressures to get a good cycle. 

I got mine upto 21 with antimony and tin, I have a calculator but it wont let me share it?

23 hours ago, Gav said:

I got mine upto 21 with antimony and tin, I have a calculator but it wont let me share it?

I actually have a Lee BHN tester and I need to check a few to get a average buts if this is some what accurate I should hopefully be around 20. With a power coat and a gas check it should be good 

uclR2g1.png.f0c4cbfabb3614eb9946511a3dad7b1a.png

On 12/01/2021 at 03:33, Gav said:

What BNH did they come out at? What pressures are you loading them upto?

Pink REALLY? oh hell yeah ?

Well sat down and weighted out 177 of the powder coated ones on my RCBS chargemaster light. Figured I'd sort them in .5grain lots before gas checking. Ended up with thisPHOTO_20210115_224835.jpg.047d8beb05130147133fe9c3a0f3b651.jpg

Seems like I'm dropping between 1.0gr-1.5gr on average which I guess for what I'm doing isn't the worst thing in the world . It might just be how I'm powder coating but after sorting 177 powder coated ones I wasn't feeling like doing another 150-200 regular ones lol ?

Also did a bhn test because I was curious. With my Lee BHN tester my none power coatd bullet wa around 15BHN (this was poured then dropped in a pail of water) my powder coated ones how ever where around 20-21BHN (there's where poured water dropped dryer then baked with the powder coat at around 350-375 the water dropped again). According to the chart it should give me a working pressure of around 25,000 I'll n the top side. With the copper gas checks I'm thinking I'll be able to get a cool 2100fps without too many problems. Anyhow still clucking along with the video series I'll post this video sometime next week ?

• Like 3