Just a question

My opinion would be it would eventually drop to ground mate, 100s of years of breeding behind it says it would eventually do what’s in its DNA and chase something and drop in, now I’m not saying it would say to ground till dug to but that’s a different question 

just my opinion 

• Like 8

I personally wouldn't use or encourage any terrier to bush, other than purely for fox... You will need to know where every hole is when running them loose and have a suitable locator collar to retrieve the dog... Shovels, bars, sharp tooth etc... Will also need a firearm to dispatch it... Lots of folks enjoy the thought of owning a  terrier and it dropping in and then a mammoth dig to dog and quarry.... In reality it's hard work, lots of shit can go wrong, the laws all to f**k and you won't want the hassle, digging is not for most folks?there's better xs out there imo, if you just want a bushing dog, spaniel/beagle /teckle xs... 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, WhiteWolf-82 said:

But if I see a good lakeland I could just buy a collar they look decent and have good coat for the bushes and the winter 

You could. But could get yourself in trouble if you don’t know what your up to. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WhiteWolf-82 said:

R okay thanks for the reply’s maybe I will buy a cocker or beagle.

Be careful with a full beagle they could drag a line for miles. And if they get on fresh scent you might not see it for a while 

• Like 1

My old boss had a Jack/fox terrier cross it was 13 and had never entered a hole. We live trapped a fox and the old dog sniffed the cage and it's eyes rolled back and went ballistic. It would drop in at any opportunity after that and was a pain.Like some genetic memory clicked.

On 04/01/2021 at 18:40, Daniel cain said:

I personally wouldn't use or encourage any terrier to bush, other than purely for fox... You will need to know where every hole is when running them loose and have a suitable locator collar to retrieve the dog... Shovels, bars, sharp tooth etc... Will also need a firearm to dispatch it... Lots of folks enjoy the thought of owning a  terrier and it dropping in and then a mammoth dig to dog and quarry.... In reality it's hard work, lots of shit can go wrong, the laws all to f**k and you won't want the hassle, digging is not for most folks?there's better xs out there imo, if you just want a bushing dog, spaniel/beagle /teckle xs... 

Perfect advice DC, Couldn’t have said it better myself buddy ?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My is 9 year old and will and has followed to ground, bit of a ball ach realy but what can you do. 

All ways discouraged him to go to ground aswell. 

Even just marked to ground and dropped in. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think you struggle to beat a good terrier for bushing, lots of hound type xs have become fashionable but a lot are wrong dog on the wrong ground to be honest. Not all terriers drop in, and certainly not all stay. You just got to be ready for the odd emotional 'moment' lol.

• Like 1