Everytime I come home with my 17 I use a little  pull through and cotton patch for the barrel in these cold and damp conditions and everytime I do it the patch is damp! The number of barrels I have seen little  spots of rust damage in them has made me a little  paranoid. 

It's not so bad for stainless  barrels but non stainless it's important and I recommend a quick pull through or rod and mop soon after your return home.

I dont do the 22 due to it using lubricated bullets which also coats the bore. Never seen a rusted 22 barrel post corrosive priming!

Just sayin. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

I dont clean it everytime but make sure the damp is removed.

I’d agree with that. I’ve had my cz hmr for years but I don’t do a proper clean until accuracy starts to go off a bit. Over the years it’s had a few bullets stuck part way down the bore due to squib rounds and it’s got a few marks in the bore. It stared off at 22:1/2 inches and it’s been cut down to 15 inches probably eight or nine years ago. Anyway, it’s still as accurate as it ever was. I just pull a bore snake through before I put it away. I know someone who did a proper clean on a Sako quad hmr every time he’d used it and needed a new barrel after a few years. So what’s the best regime? Well mine lasted longer so I’ll carry on as I was...

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

I’d agree with that. I’ve had my cz hmr for years but I don’t do a proper clean until accuracy starts to go off a bit. Over the years it’s had a few bullets stuck part way down the bore due to squib rounds and it’s got a few marks in the bore. It stared off at 22:1/2 inches and it’s been cut down to 15 inches probably eight or nine years ago. Anyway, it’s still as accurate as it ever was. I just pull a bore snake through before I put it away. I know someone who did a proper clean on a Sako quad hmr every time he’d used it and needed a new barrel after a few years. So what’s the best regime? Well mine lasted longer so I’ll carry on as I was...

Was his needing a new barrel down to cleaning it or the amount of rounds he put through it?

I suspect the latter.

A few years ago Edgar bros stated that the cz hmr was only good for seven thousand rounds, it will probably be the same for all manufacturers. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, ianm said:

Was his needing a new barrel down to cleaning it or the amount of rounds he put through it?

I suspect the latter.

A few years ago Edgar bros stated that the cz hmr was only good for seven thousand rounds, it will probably be the same for all manufacturers. 

I’ve read that too, but I’ve also read about them doing 30,000 plus and still accurate? Either way, I’ll ask him, but I’d be surprised if it did 7,000..

1 hour ago, ianm said:

I suspect the latter.

Cz quote pretty much that across  their range of products give or take a thousand rounds.

It is very easy to over clean a barrel. Anecdotes soon become lores but in my experience  leaving moisture in any bore will shorten the life of a barrel on a sporting rifle quicker than anything.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

Witnessed more nights f****d up with those things than any amount of weather .Wouldn’t have one given me ,shite .

Yerr, had a few blockages myself with hmr, then that’s the session done. To say how many .22 rf rounds I’ve fired over the years, including really cheap stuff, I’ve never had a blocked barrel and not many ftf’s. Recent hmr ammo seems better though, don’t want to speak too soon mind...?