Old fishing gear...

1 minute ago, neil r said:

I’ve got a few old Abu reels . 2 506’s from 71 and 74 , a 501 from 79 , 505 from 69 and 503 from 68 . All bar the 501 have been converted to backwind and I still use them for all my river stickfloat fishing . 

F0AEFFE0-5B82-463F-9BB4-4652ECAA479C.jpeg

ED5D40DF-71E0-487B-8493-7165E0E11D1F.jpeg

51780F6F-81B1-471C-9CC4-69F88936079C.jpeg

87935BA2-8AA8-4C7C-9532-A970B1F73A12.jpeg

Nice one Neil... cant beat a closed face reel for putting a stick float through imo.... they all look in great nick as well mate..

I fish a lot on the tidal stretch of the Exe, it plays havoc with reels as there is sone salt present..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After our yap on the other thread, I've been starting the sort out of gear today... Some little treasures amongst it all.. Unused in the box Mitchell Match  Loads of Mitchell reel

A couple of my old reels!   Mitchell 300 and a Mitchel Prince boys reel..     Some more Mitchell's, A couple of Match reels (440a), One I bought new , T'uther from the bootsal

I've got two Mitchell Match reels, both blue and in very good nick. They get an outing every now and then. Also got a Mitchell Half-Bail, the type Richard Walker used to catch the record carp, and a 1

Posted Images

1 minute ago, NEWKID said:

Great stuff John, some nice old bits there mate...

I still use a couple of oldish float rods, one a gift many years ago the original Normark Tritan 13ft, this is an unmarked proto type...and my other older fave is a M.A.P Dave Harrell... 

Have treated myself to the new Drennan Actolyte a few years back, lovely bit of kit...but still pick those old rods up regular enough..

I have a bunch of old rods that I was given by an elderly chap off facebook, I think they're in the shed, I'll dig them all out one day and take some pics!!

The last time I went fishing, It was fly fishing at a Trout lake in Chesterfield, My son took me in to a field at the local golf course (Beauchief) amnd taught me to cast with a fly!, People walking their dogs found great fun asking if i'd caught anything even though there was no water nearby!! ?

John ?

• Haha 2
On 01/01/2021 at 17:53, Nicepix said:

I've got two Mitchell Match reels, both blue and in very good nick. They get an outing every now and then. Also got a Mitchell Half-Bail, the type Richard Walker used to catch the record carp, and a 1955/6 model with full bail. Also a 300 and ABU 506 bought with my paper round and Saturday job money.

535094446_MulletWeb.jpg.62902186f2757e1c21e3790f2ba15b1c.jpg

682202344_ChabanaisBarbel.jpg.b7c95a857b15298f911f50d5eb4e4fc3.jpg

A few more centrepins too....

20201215_150116_resize_23.jpg.f19c6e976633969c461b2d45e7c473e7.jpg

A 1940's /50' Arerial Popular

235156978_TwoBass.jpg.90257e528d21889d2e226fd25f9192c3.jpg

This one is unique. It was made in 1912 probably as a prototype by a reel maker who left Hardys and struck up shop on his own.

1421333731_BreamCorot.jpg.95c19e67fd373569de5916e8d4f5e144.jpg

A Trudex

500134333_Carp18lbRiverVienne.jpg.8c7c531c89e86ae8be57c9bb7c6be769.jpg

A Speedia

4th pic down ....with the two fish on....what species are they

• Like 1
1 minute ago, johnbaz said:

I have a bunch of old rods that I was given by an elderly chap off facebook, I think they're in the shed, I'll dig them all out one day and take some pics!!

The last time I went fishing, It was fly fishing at a Trout lake in Chesterfield, My son took me in to a field at the local golf course (Beauchief) amnd taught me to cast with a fly!, People walking their dogs found great fun asking if i'd caught anything even though there was no water nearby!! ?

John ?

?...

Used to practice my casting with the beach caster on the playing fields when I was a kid, slinging 5oz leads around was a tad dangerous looking back!! Lol

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, TOMO said:

4th pic down ....with the two fish on....what species are they

They are American Black Bass or Largemouth Bass. They are stocked in many lakes and rivers over here in France and also they are in the inland dams in Cyprus. I caught those two to stock in a customer's koi lake to deal with the frogs, tadpoles and excessive fry numbers. They fight like trout, but never give up.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NEWKID said:

Nice one Neil... cant beat a closed face reel for putting a stick float through imo.... they all look in great nick as well mate..

I fish a lot on the tidal stretch of the Exe, it plays havoc with reels as there is sone salt present..

They are all in pretty good nick considering the age and they all run brilliantly . First thing I do with them when I get them is totally strip and clean them to get rid of the old caked on grease and take the pawl out and put the handle back on so it’s pointing to the 6 o’clock position so that I know without looking that the spool is at the bottom meaning the line will come off the spool easier without having to go down and back up the bell housing . The 506’s have upgraded handle bearings aswell . 

Do they react badly with the salt water or are they ok if you wash them as soon as you get home 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, neil r said:

They are all in pretty good nick considering the age and they all run brilliantly . First thing I do with them when I get them is totally strip and clean them to get rid of the old caked on grease and take the pawl out and put the handle back on so it’s pointing to the 6 o’clock position so that I know without looking that the spool is at the bottom meaning the line will come off the spool easier without having to go down and back up the bell housing . The 506’s have upgraded handle bearings aswell . 

Do they react badly with the salt water or are they ok if you wash them as soon as you get home 

I probably used that 125 for over 15 years mate, maybe more...wash it off when you get home but they do wear over time... it was a well used reel in slightly tougher conditions, you can catch bass, mullet  and flounder in the same swim as bream, chub and dace...lol

42 minutes ago, johnbaz said:

John ?

Should have told them you'd had a grass carp.

• Haha 2
30 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I probably used that 125 for over 15 years mate, maybe more...wash it off when you get home but they do wear over time... it was a well used reel in slightly tougher conditions, you can catch bass, mullet  and flounder in the same swim as bream, chub and dace...lol

Nice one, bet them mullet and bass pull back a bit . 
Ive had 120 , 123 and 125s but tend to stick to the abus so I sell them on if someone asks me . I sold the last one , a 123 only a few months ago . They are not bad reels at all and are very useable , and even though it’s irrelevant to the actual fishing i just prefer the character of the old abus even though I’d still buy them again if i saw them at a decent price , likewise the Shakespeare international cf and ryobi technomatch cf100 but I’d draw the line at the hideous looking dam coffee grinder 

Edited by neil r
Predictive text
On 01/01/2021 at 17:17, Blackmag said:

I have to declutter the garage soon God knows what's at the back I can see a few wicker baskets and tilly lamps but I know there's allsorts in the cupboards from years ago I will get some pictures up 

What happened to the pics BM

wop some up, on the double?‍♂️

So we can all have a :icon_eek:

• Like 1