Old fishing gear...

10 hours ago, sid g said:

be nice to know a bit about it arry might know

I can't see the photo, but if you can post it again I will look through my books to see what it looks like. Also, are there any makers marks on it or inside?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After our yap on the other thread, I've been starting the sort out of gear today... Some little treasures amongst it all.. Unused in the box Mitchell Match  Loads of Mitchell reel

A couple of my old reels!   Mitchell 300 and a Mitchel Prince boys reel..     Some more Mitchell's, A couple of Match reels (440a), One I bought new , T'uther from the bootsal

I've got two Mitchell Match reels, both blue and in very good nick. They get an outing every now and then. Also got a Mitchell Half-Bail, the type Richard Walker used to catch the record carp, and a 1

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Hopefully arry or nicepix might know something about it 

I can't see the pics but in the 19th century brass reels or winches as they were called were in vogue and many were made in Birmingham or London. There were some large manufacturers like Rueben Heaton and loads of small one man bands or family businesses knocking what were virtually the same designs with a few of their own tweaks or cosmetic differences. Some of these makers would brand the reel with the name of the retailer so you'd get top London retailers like Ogden Smith and J Bernard & Sons branded reels that had been made by the same maker.

Sadly, not many are worth much. It all comes down to the maker and type of reel. But, I'll bet that there have been many old, reels in poor conditions put in the scrap bins that some collectors would pay £££'s for. It isn't always about the looks or age. It is often about the maker and type of reel and some of these collectors can spot differences that mean hundreds if £'s in some circumstances.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, sid g said:

If it is like the one on that auction listing then you have a very nice reel indeed. That would be made around 1860-90, towards the latter end, and I'd guess at a London maker. It looks similar to a T Aldred reel in parts, but the handle is more dainty. The quality of the work is top notch, but I would hav expected a maker's inscription somewhere as that was very common for the more expensive reels. Also, there seems to be a little mishaping of the frame in one par , but nothing serious.