Right I am about to invest in one or the other, and I wanted to see other peoples opinions. I am considering a Honda trx 500 that is what I will probably end up buying 

however I keep looking at Kawasaki mules and to be honest I am swaying towards them, my main needs are, I do an awful lot of mole catching, and being an ex miner and spending most my life chasing things ie in the countryside,  I think I am about knackered, hips screwed back screwed kind of thing, but I will not give up I have lived for it for too long, 

Anyway I need something for trapping and fetching logs, a general run around, I have dogs love to work them, terrier to Labrador, so that’s a consideration, 

problem I have is choice there’s John deer Polaris Kawasaki cushman  loads of choice, if I go for quad I will go I think for Honda, I have a trx 300 and it has been superb and in truth I will struggle to see beyond Honda or yam grizzly but I really would like peoples opinion on this I have no experience of the UTV’s ie Kawasaki mules and such, I am told some take a lot of upkeep what’s peoples experience’s of that, 

I am a Yorkshireman I want good honest reliability, and reasonable value for money, any bodies view is welcome, I know in America utv’s are very popular, and in truth they are probably the experts on them,  like I say any info is good 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have a quad personally. Wouldn’t touch a John Deere for a utv. 

I have a trx 500, it’s a cracking bit of kit and in 5 yrs only had a starter motor fail, still had pull cord so wasn’t stuck. mine works every day on the farm, I feed pigs, sheep, round the cows

Can-am traxter are serious kit for not massive money. Seeing a lot get around our area now. Got Honda quad on the farm the up side to a quad is more nimble for chasing bullocks for us that’s about the

Can-am traxter are serious kit for not massive money. Seeing a lot get around our area now. Got Honda quad on the farm the up side to a quad is more nimble for chasing bullocks for us that’s about the only reason we have one. But you can also fit through hunting gates with one we’re as utv you won’t. It’s horses for courses all depends what fit your needs best 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

My boss an his family only use Kawasaki quad bikes, swear by them, not sure why if it’s easier to fix it what not. But we got a few around farm an all graft there bollocks off.  There must be summat about them tho as like I say he won’t entertain anything else ?

I have never had a Kawasaki quad I do hear they are reliable, that’s why I looked at the Kawasaki mule, all the rest are a bit inconsistent with reliability, or that’s what I am hearing 

3 hours ago, 3175darren said:

I have never had a Kawasaki quad I do hear they are reliable, that’s why I looked at the Kawasaki mule, all the rest are a bit inconsistent with reliability, or that’s what I am hearing 

What age John Deere you looking at new or second hand?

56 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

What age John Deere you looking at new or second hand?

I am not, I know people who have them they say they are good to use but, they have had issues I want peoples opinions on the whole utv front I see loads of keepers using them, yet very little is said about them as regards reliability and running costs and such, I am seeing Kawasaki mules at around 7to 8k I won’t buy one if they are poor, they look better for carting the terriers and such but I can get a decent Honda trx 500 for around the 4 k mark, I don’t want brand new I always buy nearly new second hand, 

3 hours ago, 3175darren said:

I am not, I know people who have them they say they are good to use but, they have had issues I want peoples opinions on the whole utv front I see loads of keepers using them, yet very little is said about them as regards reliability and running costs and such, I am seeing Kawasaki mules at around 7to 8k I won’t buy one if they are poor, they look better for carting the terriers and such but I can get a decent Honda trx 500 for around the 4 k mark, I don’t want brand new I always buy nearly new second hand, 

I would have a quad personally. Wouldn’t touch a John Deere for a utv. 

• Like 2

I have a trx 500, it’s a cracking bit of kit and in 5 yrs only had a starter motor fail, still had pull cord so wasn’t stuck.

mine works every day on the farm, I feed pigs, sheep, round the cows up, shoot with it, I have a little trailer on flotation tyres that I haul, hay, straw, wood, animal feed, dogs, people ? you name it.

mine is about the only thing that copes with the daily trek in the mud, vehicles can’t move and tractor just makes far too much mess.

however..... I’m looking at changing for a kubota utv, don’t want to be dragging a trailer about, it’s fecking cold and wet on the bike (I’m out all weathers as I have to be) I’m not supposed to legally carry a passenger on the bike, not supposed to have dogs in the trailer, utv= windows, doors, dual seats, heater, wipers, ifor canopy to keep shit dry and stock secure.

i won’t knock the trx as it’s been the dogs danglies, but 8pm at night in gale force winds, horizontal rain that you can’t keep your eyes open, wrapped up like a mummy, the luxury of the utv is very appealing.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Rabid said:

I have a trx 500, it’s a cracking bit of kit and in 5 yrs only had a starter motor fail, still had pull cord so wasn’t stuck.

mine works every day on the farm, I feed pigs, sheep, round the cows up, shoot with it, I have a little trailer on flotation tyres that I haul, hay, straw, wood, animal feed, dogs, people ? you name it.

mine is about the only thing that copes with the daily trek in the mud, vehicles can’t move and tractor just makes far too much mess.

however..... I’m looking at changing for a kubota utv, don’t want to be dragging a trailer about, it’s fecking cold and wet on the bike (I’m out all weathers as I have to be) I’m not supposed to legally carry a passenger on the bike, not supposed to have dogs in the trailer, utv= windows, doors, dual seats, heater, wipers, ifor canopy to keep shit dry and stock secure.

i won’t knock the trx as it’s been the dogs danglies, but 8pm at night in gale force winds, horizontal rain that you can’t keep your eyes open, wrapped up like a mummy, the luxury of the utv is very appealing.

Don’t know what the new kubota are like but seen a 15 plate one. And what a gutless heap of s**t. And you need power for when it gets sticky 

13 hours ago, Rabid said:

Well I spoke to an old farmer in the lakes about them, he has both, he runs Yamaha grizzly’s and a John Deer utv, 

he said without the utv he would not be farming he’s too old and the weather is too much for him now, which backs up what you are saying, he has fell sheep and a lot of them, I spoke to a farmer around the corner from me who also has a older John Deer utv who I catch moles for, and he said they are great things but his takes a bit of keeping on the road, ie maintenance, from what I can find online they seem to think the Kawasaki mule it the most reliable, but it’s still early days, I am researching as much as I can, I am leaning towards the trx 500 but I think you nailed it over the weather, that’s a perfect picture you painted there, both people who I have spoke to had full cabs on there’s one has a aluminium I for type back on, and for lambing it looks very handy indeed, but I am surprised not so many people are commenting as they are quite common in our country now, the yanks all seem to run them, 

Side by sides are very expensive for what they are. Good maybe if you are an old boy with a lot of spare cash, but you would get a tidy little jimny conversion for same money. Of all of them the mule isn't great either, I've used a few. Currently running two quads, an auto suzuki king quad 520 and a honda manual 420.

I have a klf 750 I kawasaki  bruteforce  4x4 quad,it's great but for a dog,a person,all the kit,and shit on it its not big enough. Great for towing tho.im in process of looking for a mule,or gator,with doors and poss a heater,great rear bed space,and doors to stop dogs jumping out.have used an polaris electric  one for a few days,but I do believe them and can am are not great bushes,bearings,etc wear out.my mate has John deer and he's says it's great bit of kit.saw a farmer get bogged down in one of the jcb ones,the gator pulled it out.if someone wants a bruteforce I may sell mine.

Was out yesterday with terriers and all the kit needed,keeper was on a quad and i was using a polaris mule.I was warmish and had no hassles in carrying the the gear,dogs etc,he was always in the wind and although he was quicker i was more comfortable.The mule does seem a little bit guttless but it does earn it's keep carrying a full load of feed and water without to much trouble .They both have advantages and disadvantages and for speed the quad gets you around quicker but the weather is always in your face,as for using a heater on a mule,your'll soon take off the stupid plastic doors many have as there a pain to keep getting through if on and off the mule many times and a heater is a waste of time without the doors on.. See if you can get one on trial by pretending your going to buy a new one so you can see whats right for you??.

14 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

I have a klf 750 I kawasaki  bruteforce  4x4 quad,it's great but for a dog,a person,all the kit,and shit on it its not big enough. Great for towing tho.im in process of looking for a mule,or gator,with doors and poss a heater,great rear bed space,and doors to stop dogs jumping out.have used an polaris electric  one for a few days,but I do believe them and can am are not great bushes,bearings,etc wear out.my mate has John deer and he's says it's great bit of kit.saw a farmer get bogged down in one of the jcb ones,the gator pulled it out.if someone wants a bruteforce I may sell mine.

Allot of people my way trading in there John Deere’s for can-am round here. Gators are pushing 20 grand new can-am about 13. My mate replaced his with a road legal traxter 45mph restricted remove that can push 60 electric windows heater and not bad on fuel considering it’s petrol 

• Like 1