Got my new little helpers!

NEWKID

Me and Geth (White van man) are getting too old to be crawling in and out of hedges now, time to bring the young ones on...so his 2 lads and my Fin picked up our slack today...only a quick 4 hour trip, it was pretty cold and rain coming in later, we were finished by 12 but a great morning doing a couple of "bits in the hedges" ....basically we picked a couple of easier parts of 2 hedges a struck lucky (the dogs marking helps a bit lol)... the boys can all now set a long net and purse net...handle ferrets confidently and almost keep quiet lol...

Plus Geths young dog is coming on lovely, worked well today we left the hedge open his side so she could work alongside Fergie (my dog) i put a long net out as my old dog is really showing her age now, but will help along a net still...the long runs are behind her i think now..

The other 2 had a good day, nailing everything that broke cover, just nice and sharp catches around the holes ..I enjoyed watching them work together....

So me and Geth are ready for the knackers yard, its all about the young uns now...

20201229_111405.jpg.93143ea2d73e52460c42551519741d70.jpg

IMG-20201229-WA0005.jpg.9b84a6f5af60a4cb9209e5615cfbe8bc.jpg

IMG-20201229-WA0007.jpg.3216eccbcc665c4656aecd304150168d.jpg

IMG-20201229-WA0002.jpg.70f6e34f9ef8d11300a2391c473a00bb.jpg

IMG-20201229-WA0006.jpg.5114f21f47ec31c692950a2cdb3992d2.jpg

20201229_122721.jpg.577dc04704ef84bc336926b650b48ce3.jpg

20201229_123302.jpg.02c28ff4fa11628be7699267e8168bc2.jpg

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Got 3 sons of me own so my days a crawling about hedge bottoms getting splinters off blackthorn an stings of baby nettles that think they rattlesnakes are over ? 

they all shite on spade tho ??

??.... 

Fin got a face full of bramble today jumping in after a rabbit ...plus it kicked the net as he got there...not a happy 15 year old!! Lol

Hes been out since he could walk pretty much, Geths kids love the outdoors life too, not done much ferreting yet...but I've a feeling they might be getting a couple of new pets??? Lol...

Top kids all day ..

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Good effort, been cold today. And if you kept out of that hedge newkid I'll eat my hat , bet the kids didn't get to touch a net with you pair there ?, only kidding well done all.

What you trying to say mate...I'm a bit controlling and love crawling in hedges....I can't help it ok!! Lol

Nah they were good mate, got involved and enjoyed it, I think 4 hours was enough today as it was biting in the wind at times, plus it pissed down as we got home so timed it well...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, W. Katchum said:

I’m forever saying it mate but a day ferreting beats most other days. Bit a day ferreting with a few keen kids beats any other day hands down imho, I love it so much I try am leave all the best parts an stuff for them, years back I’d a had em all done few weeks into season an then have to suffer all the shitty bits? but now I’m out tackling the harder bits on me own just so i can watch the kids have a ball when we get round to doing the better 

Geths youngest had a great day, I know most of these hedges hold a few, so was confident he'd see a few bolts  .plus his dog caught a few bolters and made his day .... I've needed Fin and my Godson a couple of times now, they are only 15 but keen enough and help out... I reckon Geths 2 added to the mix and we can keep up the old traditions down here, you've got it covered up there ...Happy days...lol

• Like 2
Just now, W. Katchum said:

Short active trips is what I found best [BANNED TEXT] they young, before tho know it it’s them that’s asking to do one more set before home ? my youngest is only 5 but a pure natural, always on me case now a days to get out, good excuse tho to get away for few hours, an like I said before some the chats you have with kids whilst ferreting/fishing or what ever are some best conversations Iv ever had ?

I know what you mean...my ears are still ringing...lol

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, socks said:

Cracking day out lads and great to get the kids out amongst it ... between fishing and hunting they will be proper countrymen .... Beth that dog is looking in superb condition ??? .......

Beth....love it...thats it now...lol

1 hour ago, dytkos said:

Brilliant mate, let's hope they all keep at it ?

Cheers, D.

Here's hoping D, I'm sure they'll drift in and out of it (birds and beer are a distraction lol)

But they've got the starting point at least...

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, white van man said:

Great morning Kev. Kids were keen today. I was happy with how Dot worked. Sorry mate but had to jump in the hedge one last time! 

FE0BCAB8-370E-404D-9CE4-EE2016F004C4.jpeg

C1196559-6C22-4548-8336-B797F8DA8704.jpeg

Yeah I've still got numb hands and picked out a few thorns .... bloody slackers lol...

Hope you didn't break a nail though Beth...lol