Tier 4 - Vermin Shooting.

On 04/01/2021 at 11:20, Meece said:

Why do the shooting public insist  on making up more rules than there already are. ?  Even if you have rung plod up about going out night shooting and some clown rings them up, they  still come out. They have to log it as a response. They can't be seen to have ignored a call that something is going on and just think that it's Fred out rabbit shooting when it is Bill out, shooting sheep. It's a total waste of time but if you think that your doing your civic duty well there you go. When they come out, which is highly unlikely;  they don't know anything about a call that you've made and just because you can quote a reference number means dimly squat. They have to justify their existence. 20 years ago a plod told me that they couldn't justify the fuel cost of just cruising around all night on the prospect of booking some motorist for a faulty stop light. In kent I haven't seen a plod car for ar least six months and all the local stations have been sold off.  They've even sold off the police headquarters in Maistone.  Most of the staff have either been made redundant or dispersed to the few stations that still exist. Like Dover, Gravesend or Dartford where there is activity.  The days of village plods with a pushbike are long gone.

Bolo@@s

• Like 1

Had a few comical moments like that myself mate .

We were ferreting opposite a pub years ago when a woman shouted something from the car park .We ignored as you do but bit  later my mate said we got company .Two WPC s walking across the field to us .

Had reports of badger digging .

Right ,the only dog we had was  a 25 “ lurcher lol.One says what you doing then .Ferretting duh .She says do you get many ferrets around here to which I replied we ain’t doing bad ,got 4 in the box already ??

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, David.evans said:

I don’t know that hares lived in burrows must be strange wild life down your end Rob , lol ?? atb mate 

Do a search on here, sure I wrote a bit on it a while back, two lovely wpc’s sent out to hare coursing reports and I bore the brunt of it when they saw me ferreting ?

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
On 29/12/2020 at 09:08, ArchieHood said:

from BASC......

Tier 4 restrictions

Outdoor recreational shooting remains permissible in Tier 4 areas subject to two conditions. Firstly, you should only travel locally to shoot. Secondly, when shooting you should only meet with people you live with, your support bubble, or with one other person.

In light of these conditions BASC does not consider that driven game shooting or other recreational group shooting activities should take place.

Taking part in recreational shooting is not a reasonable excuse to enter or leave a Tier 4 area.

Shooting-related essential work is permitted in Tier 4 areas and it is a reasonable excuse to travel to carry out that essential work. This includes essential bird and mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock such as the shooting and trapping of pest bird species under general licence; the management of rodents and rabbits; deer management as part of a plan agreed with and requested by the landowner; and game management or gamekeeping activities such as looking after game birds, pest/predator control and habitat management.

Hello mate is this still the case , I have access to land to go on but its 20miles ( haven't been on for well over a yr)from my home and reading certain guidlines it says you should stay local etc , I'm confused with it all but got the chance of a hw100 and am tempted but couldn't be bothered if I'm going to be fined for travelling.

Any info greatly appreciated

If your home address and your perm is in the same police authority, you will be okay.  If so, phone your police,  dial 101, ask for control room and advise them that you are visiting the perm for vermin control giving them your details, the ACTUAL address details of the perm so make sure you have all the details including name and address of the land owner.  If they are not happy about it, they will tell you otherwise ask for a log number and off you go but make sure you phone them when you get home to let them know you are now at home and finished for the evening.

Phil

9 minutes ago, philpot said:

If your home address and your perm is in the same police authority, you will be okay.  If so, phone your police,  dial 101, ask for control room and advise them that you are visiting the perm for vermin control giving them your details, the ACTUAL address details of the perm so make sure you have all the details including name and address of the land owner.  If they are not happy about it, they will tell you otherwise ask for a log number and off you go but make sure you phone them when you get home to let them know you are now at home and finished for the evening.

Phil

Thanks mate that's helped a lot.

• Like 1

Well just to clarify 

I got my owners to send me a @mail 

saying 

we have requested mr Evans to attend ( farm name ) post code and address and name of owner and phone number 

to carry out ESSENTIAL pest control under lock down restrictions, for protection of lambs that have been attacked and killed by foxes 

also the same for the dairy farm , under GL43 , contamination of food stuffs 

Crows , ect 

I forwarded these on to my fire arms department, e Mail back , carry on 

just keep copies with you in case you get stopped 

atb 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 04/01/2021 at 11:20, Meece said:

Why do the shooting public insist  on making up more rules than there already are. ?  Even if you have rung plod up about going out night shooting and some clown rings them up, they  still come out. They have to log it as a response. They can't be seen to have ignored a call that something is going on and just think that it's Fred out rabbit shooting when it is Bill out, shooting sheep. It's a total waste of time but if you think that your doing your civic duty well there you go. When they come out, which is highly unlikely;  they don't know anything about a call that you've made and just because you can quote a reference number means dimly squat. They have to justify their existence. 20 years ago a plod told me that they couldn't justify the fuel cost of just cruising around all night on the prospect of booking some motorist for a faulty stop light. In kent I haven't seen a plod car for ar least six months and all the local stations have been sold off.  They've even sold off the police headquarters in Maistone.  Most of the staff have either been made redundant or dispersed to the few stations that still exist. Like Dover, Gravesend or Dartford where there is activity.  The days of village plods with a pushbike are long gone.

That's actually incorrect. One place I used to go insisted I call plod and on one occasion I spoke to a particularly thick operator who didn't understand what I wanted but she went through the motions. A short while later I got an Inspector (Surrey police) call me back, apologise for the confusion and ask me to confirm what I had been calling about. He thought it was a great idea as in his words "If we get a call, we know about it and don't have to send a team out."

14 hours ago, walshie said:

That's actually incorrect. One place I used to go insisted I call plod and on one occasion I spoke to a particularly thick operator who didn't understand what I wanted but she went through the motions. A short while later I got an Inspector (Surrey police) call me back, apologise for the confusion and ask me to confirm what I had been calling about. He thought it was a great idea as in his words "If we get a call, we know about it and don't have to send a team out."

Yes, admittily on the face  of it the idea is sensible but generally plod ain't got a lot of common sense and it might work in some areas but down here in Kent they seem to take the view that you may have called in but it could be that the public call is about someone else or a different situation completely. So regardless of the call they turn out to check. ( If their are any resources that are available. !! )***  footnote) Their view is that if they don't and subsequently some farmers tractor or whatever gets nicked or their animals get russled then it is partially their fault for not investigating a call from the public. Kent police's view on gun ownership is that " no one needs guns for any reason"!.?". The previous police commissioner said that she didn't see why the police budget was subsidizing the HOBBY of shooting out of the police budget.  I take the view that what I  am doing is lawful and as such I am not going to go out of my way to create a precedent  of having to use my time and my phone to create a situation of another hoop to jump through which isn't  necessary because they still (potentially when resources are available ) come out and make a nuisance to myself out in the field.  What I  do is always carry copies of my certificates and the letter of permission  (when on other ground)  as proof of authority. When they have been out on land and we are on a quad we just go black and distance ourselves away to another part and carry on. They soon get fed up of getting plastered in mud wandering about fields.

*** Due to government financial cutbacks,  This last year the main HQ in Maidstone (14 acres + buidings) has been sold off for development and the staff either made redundant or dispersed to other police departments.   I haven't seen a police car out on the roads for over two years. *(Obviously there are police out there but it has to be a significant situation for resources to be deployed. such as 999 or like operation stack on the motorway down to Dover). ** a couple of years ago the company that I worked for was burgled and a considerable value was stolen. About a week later we had a single officer attend to take details.  He said that there were no vehicles available and that he had only come down because someone had called in sick and that vehicle had become available otherwise we wouldn't have had a call. Us shooters are considered a non essential and our so called orgs don't stand up for us.

Ps. I'm  not trying to be argumentative just for something to do,  So what about being out on your own land.  Are you going to ring plod up and tell them that.?  If so where does this stop and start.?  ...  I'm  ringing you up because I'm going to wash my car or I'm just about to hang the washing out and I  don't want people reporting me for nicking clothes off of a line or I'm  just going to have sex with the Mrs and I  don't want people ringing you up reporting that I'm murdering some woman.  There is no requirement to notify plod so why start a precedent to have to do so.?

Edited by Meece