Tier 4 - Vermin Shooting.

1 minute ago, Gaoler said:

Good morning all,

Under Tier 4 can I go Vermin shooting, on my permissions I don’t see anyone else or speak to anyone, the permissions are within our Tier?

Cheers...

Technically I think answer is no as unnecessary travel . 
unless you could prove it was your work ?

• Like 1

from BASC......

Tier 4 restrictions

Outdoor recreational shooting remains permissible in Tier 4 areas subject to two conditions. Firstly, you should only travel locally to shoot. Secondly, when shooting you should only meet with people you live with, your support bubble, or with one other person.

In light of these conditions BASC does not consider that driven game shooting or other recreational group shooting activities should take place.

Taking part in recreational shooting is not a reasonable excuse to enter or leave a Tier 4 area.

Shooting-related essential work is permitted in Tier 4 areas and it is a reasonable excuse to travel to carry out that essential work. This includes essential bird and mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock such as the shooting and trapping of pest bird species under general licence; the management of rodents and rabbits; deer management as part of a plan agreed with and requested by the landowner; and game management or gamekeeping activities such as looking after game birds, pest/predator control and habitat management.

• Like 3

Yes you can if protecting crops and public health 

I carried on shooting in the first lock down , even on golf courses . Phoned the police to tell them where abouts , all they said after giving details , happy shooting have a good night 

• Like 2
On 29/12/2020 at 11:40, villaman said:

Yes you can if protecting crops and public health 

I carried on shooting in the first lock down , even on golf courses . Phoned the police to tell them where abouts , all they said after giving details , happy shooting have a good night 

I also found the police to be both friendly and they appreciated the call.  Just as an interesting point, a couple of weeks ago my pal had logged the call with the police when he was pulled over by an armed police team, nothing to do with him but had he not logged the evenings shooting with the police, it could have been tricky as there was something serious going on.

Phil

Why do the shooting public insist  on making up more rules than there already are. ?  Even if you have rung plod up about going out night shooting and some clown rings them up, they  still come out. They have to log it as a response. They can't be seen to have ignored a call that something is going on and just think that it's Fred out rabbit shooting when it is Bill out, shooting sheep. It's a total waste of time but if you think that your doing your civic duty well there you go. When they come out, which is highly unlikely;  they don't know anything about a call that you've made and just because you can quote a reference number means dimly squat. They have to justify their existence. 20 years ago a plod told me that they couldn't justify the fuel cost of just cruising around all night on the prospect of booking some motorist for a faulty stop light. In kent I haven't seen a plod car for ar least six months and all the local stations have been sold off.  They've even sold off the police headquarters in Maistone.  Most of the staff have either been made redundant or dispersed to the few stations that still exist. Like Dover, Gravesend or Dartford where there is activity.  The days of village plods with a pushbike are long gone.

10 hours ago, Meece said:

Why do the shooting public insist  on making up more rules than there already are. ?  Even if you have rung plod up about going out night shooting and some clown rings them up, they  still come out. They have to log it as a response. They can't be seen to have ignored a call that something is going on and just think that it's Fred out rabbit shooting when it is Bill out, shooting sheep. It's a total waste of time but if you think that your doing your civic duty well there you go. When they come out, which is highly unlikely;  they don't know anything about a call that you've made and just because you can quote a reference number means dimly squat. They have to justify their existence. 20 years ago a plod told me that they couldn't justify the fuel cost of just cruising around all night on the prospect of booking some motorist for a faulty stop light. In kent I haven't seen a plod car for ar least six months and all the local stations have been sold off.  They've even sold off the police headquarters in Maistone.  Most of the staff have either been made redundant or dispersed to the few stations that still exist. Like Dover, Gravesend or Dartford where there is activity.  The days of village plods with a pushbike are long gone.

You do whatever you like, in this part of the UK, this system works well and as calls are logged with the 'Control room' for the region, the 'plod' as you refer to is advised from the outset that we are out shooting and at a specific location simply means a quick phone call from the police to the shooter will eliminate needless action. Perhaps you don't really know how it works so not used it therefore you would be better off trying it out instead of dishing out your usual diatribe.

Phil

• Like 3
On 05/01/2021 at 15:18, j j m said:

i always call them when im going out

So do i , its  part of the rules on one big permission .But its a waste of time the armed response came out 6 times last year  and when i asked why they said the control room doesnt tell them anything 

On 04/01/2021 at 21:42, philpot said:

You do whatever you like, in this part of the UK, this system works well and as calls are logged with the 'Control room' for the region, the 'plod' as you refer to is advised from the outset that we are out shooting and at a specific location simply means a quick phone call from the police to the shooter will eliminate needless action. Perhaps you don't really know how it works so not used it therefore you would be better off trying it out instead of dishing out your usual diatribe.

Phil

Totally agree Phil,  give them my name , van reg , what time going , what time leaving , where I am shooting, what am I shooting , then they give me a log number just in case I need to contact them in a emergency  .  Found them to be really polite and always said either happy shooting or have a good night 

• Like 1

I never felt the need to let them know when we was out, but I did have one farm where the farmer said he preferred I let them know beforehand, so I duly notified them whenever I was on his place.

we had four visits from either AR or several marked cars at a time, when the farmer was dragged out of bed at almost 3am to confirm I did have permission, and could he confirm I was who I said I was........he suggested perhaps they didn’t need to be informed ever again ?

that was the same perm I almost got arrested for hare coursing along a hedgerow with ferrets and nets ??? 

• Haha 1