• 2 weeks later...

On 28/12/2020 at 13:32, vfr400boy said:

Kids got me a duch oven cooking pot for Xmas to use down at our shack , any one use one? 

I do. Love mine though I had to take factory coating off with a angle grinder and wire wheel and reseason it my self

57 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

I do. Love mine though I had to take factory coating off with a angle grinder and wire wheel and reseason it my self

Cool iv just seasoned mine in oven with veg oil , looking forward to using it think its a 8LT one any tips or recipes ? 

4 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

Cool iv just seasoned mine in oven with veg oil , looking forward to using it think its a 8LT one any tips or recipes ? 

Always fry initial ingredients first on the hob (onion, garlic etc) and deglaze before adding the rest of your ingredients and popping in the oven ;)

Any slow cooker/casserole/stew recipie will work for a Dutch oven.

• 3 months later...

Dutch ovens good bits of kit , I grew up on the Rd and all cooking was done outside no matter the weather, me mother used Dutch oven and hanging pots and skilets daily to cook for family of 8 , no better way to cook than outside over a fire ,

• Like 5
  • 1 year later...
On 10/04/2021 at 22:07, socks said:

Cracking bit of kit 

B84CC5D5-405C-47AC-9FEF-663EE3C64EB3.jpeg

I've just asked the local smithy to make a new tripod "irons " as lost the last set when someone  borrowed them but seemed to think borrowed means keeping them but that's brothers for ya .

Go on you tube and look for Simon a bloke in the woods,he lives just up the road from me and his vids will show you how to use one and how to look after it as well.He does roast lamb joints and all sorts and a dutch oven in deffo on my list to get one...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I grew up in the foundry , as a kid my dad would take me in on a weekend to fill furnaces with ingots , he'd sit a big tin box over the edge of the pot with two meat pies inside , that was the carlsberg edition of a Dutch oven and they were banging...stuff you take for granted as a kid...

• Like 2