never really touched a sling shot apart from knocking a few ferals back when I was a kid , what should I get to get started both lurchers mark squirrels and that would be the main target there’s so many types of bands I don’t know where to start any help would be appreciated cheers 

17 hours ago, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

never really touched a sling shot apart from knocking a few ferals back when I was a kid , what should I get to get started both lurchers mark squirrels and that would be the main target there’s so many types of bands I don’t know where to start any help would be appreciated cheers 

Think scout, scout lt or one of the wasp range are all good starter catty,s for sensible money, the bands are a total minefield as everyone is out searching for the next ultimate band, but truth is it’s still not been found so there are loads of new wonder products coming out every day so my advice would be try as many as you can until you find something you like, the tubes mr Wilkes has on his scout are also one of my favourite bands along with tbg and sheshou flat bands ??

• Like 3

Couple more showing different methods of band attachments the one on the left is just a slot in the fork with flat bands wedged in simple and effective and a slightly more complex natural spalted hazel ppmg copy if you want to get a bit more imaginative ??

A0734394-690F-4521-ABB5-2A649BE8674C.jpeg

9484A152-7158-40E5-A088-54243EB8A281.jpeg

5F494CD3-D874-4260-82F4-5DB51C571589.jpeg

• Like 2

I would second the comment about making your own catty and finding a fork width that suits you. I've bought about 10 different frames with widths from 75mm to 95mm over the last 3 years and was a halfway decent shot.

A couple months ago I made myself a natty fork with 110mm outer width and it just suits my natural anchor point and aiming reference perfectly and effortlessley to the point I can do 'trick' shots on coins etc. I would have saved myself some £££ if I'd just experimented with some natural forks at the beginning of my catapult journey.

20201218_141321.jpg

Edited by ger2020
  • Like 6
3 hours ago, ger2020 said:

I would second the comment about making your own catty and finding a fork width that suits you. I've bought about 10 different frames with widths from 75mm to 95mm over the last 3 years and was a halfway decent shot.

A couple months ago I made myself a natty fork with 110mm outer width and it just suits my natural anchor point and aiming reference perfectly and effortlessley to the point I can do 'trick' shots on coins etc. I would have saved myself some £££ if I'd just experimented with some natural forks at the beginning of my catapult journey.

20201218_141321.jpg

Out of curiosity where is your anchor point?

I have to have mine high, under my cheek bone.....but I find it a bit inconsistent as I tend not to be perfectly in the same place, ideally i wanted in the corner of my mouth, but I’m shooting over trees with such a low anchor point....hence a wider forks would lower my anchor point.

3 hours ago, ger2020 said:

20201218_141321.jpg

nice one ?. looks like precise.65 with hegarty pouch band? 

3 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Out of curiosity where is your anchor point?

I have to have mine high, under my cheek bone.....but I find it a bit inconsistent as I tend not to be perfectly in the same place, ideally i wanted in the corner of my mouth, but I’m shooting over trees with such a low anchor point....hence a wider forks would lower my anchor point.

yes! thats exactly what I did - 110mm frame = corner of my mouth anchor point so more consistency and repeatability.

Edited by ger2020
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, fred90 said:

nice one ?. looks like precise.65 with hegarty pouch band? 

Yes hegarty pouches are pretty much my faveourites. The elastic is some .7 natuaral unamed brand i got off ali express. I got a sample and liked it so much I got another  6 metres for 20 quid or so. use 15/10 for 8mm  steels for tergets or can bashing and   20/20 or 25/20  for 9mm leads.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I only use hegarty pouches now if I can?

the only other ones i like using are leather with a really coarse rough side and i like shooting the rough side out with a heavy hunting setup as i can grip them really well.

Edited by ger2020
  • Like 1