Nice Pawn shop find

Ok swear I need to stay outta pawn shops lol. Said I was just gonna pop in real quick and get some cheap 7.62x39 to squirrel away but noticed this old .22lr on the self.

IMG_20201223_140655107.jpg.9fe6498f6f3252da22fa7de760dabf15.jpg

And of course the nice lady behind the counter asked if I was interested and got it in my hands.

IMG_20201223_140722369.jpg.8c2d3bcb96ced795af74e70f56d9a090.jpg

Now I'm starting to have a real liking to these older rifles and since this was a obvious target model I had to have it for the collection lol. Happened to have a tube fed savage .22lr that would never feed right and a crosman break barrel in the car so after a little horse trading managed to get $120 in store credit and only had to drop $147  for the little beauty. Gonna have to be a little cheaper till pay day but hay ?

Gotta say really like the stock profile I can tell it was intended for target shooting. Please excuse the dirty trunk haven't had a day to clean out my vehicles lol

IMG_20201223_150935941.jpg.c721c2006ef691c97e9350994eb98a88.jpg

IMG_20201223_150948548.jpg.b7f51bea8b34874b3703f027915d25a5.jpgScreenshot_20201223-182026.png.4b7bb3f853b2e67e6383dd625e054577.png

A friend on another sight recommended I look up the model number for the rear sight as it may be worth some money.Ebds up it's worth as much as the gun on a lot of places lol. Lowest I've find it for is $77 and most is close to $230 

Screenshot_20201223-182011.png.b5af7b839d853cd9b9e513b8485cea12.png

Planning on getting a nice 1903 sling  and mabye a leather cheek piece but that's about . Should be a fun little rifle?

• Like 9

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok swear I need to stay outta pawn shops lol. Said I was just gonna pop in real quick and get some cheap 7.62x39 to squirrel away but noticed this old .22lr on the self. And of course the n

Got's a sweet shooter. Just off a sand sock on the front porch with some cheap bulk federal copper plated hollow points. About 15yd once I got it sighted  And around 30, need som

O katrina was such a cluster it's rediclous. Lots and lots of factors went into it. Honestly alot of the problems where people who where looting and stealing stuff they didn't need. TV's jewelry what

Posted Images

They very often are. You're right about engineering quality Sausage. One of the best triggers I ever shot with was on an old cadet rifle at a range. The adjustment was hair light and the break had no creap. Literally if your finger touched the trigger the gun went off. Unsafe for general shooting at that break weight maybe, but fantastic for target.

• Like 1
On 24/12/2020 at 02:10, Wolfdog91 said:

Ok swear I need to stay outta pawn shops lol. Said I was just gonna pop in real quick and get some cheap 7.62x39 to squirrel away but noticed this old .22lr on the self.

IMG_20201223_140655107.jpg.9fe6498f6f3252da22fa7de760dabf15.jpg

And of course the nice lady behind the counter asked if I was interested and got it in my hands.

IMG_20201223_140722369.jpg.8c2d3bcb96ced795af74e70f56d9a090.jpg

Now I'm starting to have a real liking to these older rifles and since this was a obvious target model I had to have it for the collection lol. Happened to have a tube fed savage .22lr that would never feed right and a crosman break barrel in the car so after a little horse trading managed to get $120 in store credit and only had to drop $147  for the little beauty. Gonna have to be a little cheaper till pay day but hay ?

Gotta say really like the stock profile I can tell it was intended for target shooting. Please excuse the dirty trunk haven't had a day to clean out my vehicles lol

IMG_20201223_150935941.jpg.c721c2006ef691c97e9350994eb98a88.jpg

IMG_20201223_150948548.jpg.b7f51bea8b34874b3703f027915d25a5.jpgScreenshot_20201223-182026.png.4b7bb3f853b2e67e6383dd625e054577.png

A friend on another sight recommended I look up the model number for the rear sight as it may be worth some money.Ebds up it's worth as much as the gun on a lot of places lol. Lowest I've find it for is $77 and most is close to $230 

Screenshot_20201223-182011.png.b5af7b839d853cd9b9e513b8485cea12.png

Planning on getting a nice 1903 sling  and mabye a leather cheek piece but that's about . Should be a fun little rifle?

Hi. Welcome to this site. It's nice to have visitors from across the pond.  That's a nice little rifle . Please don't sell off the Lyman sight. It is part of the antique package.  If you can shoot groups like that with crap bulk ammo. Then just think what it could do with something decent run through it. Some like Eley Tenex , Lapua R50 or R100.

Question.....  why would A friend on another sight recommended you to look up the model number for the rear sight as it may be worth some money....?  It's an antique package.  It shoots great.  What would you put on it in place of this custom made sight.? Some cheap junk massive mag zoom scope.

Quote..."Please excuse the dirty trunk haven't had a day to clean out my vehicles ". 

It's  your trunk,  if you like it like that what's it got to do with anyone  else.?  If they don't like it like that they could offer to clear it out for you or look away. On the other hand you could not chuck crap in it in the first place.

I look forward to more pictures of the group's that this little gun will produce. Keep safe. 

5 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Actually a tad bit of creep which I'm pretty see to but other than that extremely crisp and and say like 2.5 -3lbs pull 

4 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

That surprises me! I was expecting 1&1/2lbs 

Years ago there used to be a trigger pressure gauge at the rifle club.  Back then the trigger pull for competition rifles was 3.5lb. But I  think that was for some sort of service rifle competition shooting. My Anschutz target rifle has a trigger that is sooo light that you just think ...fire.  when i first went to the club I used an old club gun with a really heavy trigger.  When I  bought my Anschutz the trigger was lignt and my scores jumped up 10 points overnight which is a phenomenal difference.

Ps.  If this rifle was set up for target type shooting ( with those sort of Lyman target sights) it may well have a trigger pressure like that.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1

Brought it out to the range with me in my weekly brass clean up today and did some testing with some ammo I have . Distance was 25.5 yards. 10 rounds each group. Just shooting off a sand sock. The sight is actually bottomed out on the evevation so can't zero it the way I'd prefer. Usually I like the to have the center of the target in the very top of my front sight but with this I'm more aiming towards the bottom. Not the hardest thing to do but not the most precise. Good enough to plink shot she'll hulls at 35 and smack a 5" going at 50-75 so can't complain to much lol.

IMG_20201226_170030273.jpg.cef5cd3ca6ad50307b5c3b8debefa6dd.jpg

Seems to prefer the federals followed by the thunder bolts.

Might try again with a rear and front bag . Regardless it's more than accurate for anything I'd want to do with it lol

9 hours ago, Meece said:

Hi. Welcome to this site. It's nice to have visitors from across the pond.  That's a nice little rifle . Please don't sell off the Lyman sight. It is part of the antique package.  If you can shoot groups like that with crap bulk ammo. Then just think what it could do with something decent run through it. Some like Eley Tenex , Lapua R50 or R100.

Question.....  why would A friend on another sight recommended you to look up the model number for the rear sight as it may be worth some money....?  It's an antique package.  It shoots great.  What would you put on it in place of this custom made sight.? Some cheap junk massive mag zoom scope.

Quote..."Please excuse the dirty trunk haven't had a day to clean out my vehicles ". 

It's  your trunk,  if you like it like that what's it got to do with anyone  else.?  If they don't like it like that they could offer to clear it out for you or look away. On the other hand you could not chuck crap in it in the first place.

I look forward to more pictures of the group's that this little gun will produce. Keep safe. 

O I have no real interest in parting it out or anything. Have been looking for a role like this for the collection for a while. Honestly would have preferred if it was kinda beat up so id have an excuse to mess with it a little but since it's in good condition I'm happy with it lol. 

As far as the other ammo, I reckon it might fair better group wise ,and if I had competitions and what not to shoot it in then yes I would consider getting some of the better stuff but right now I'm m more than happy with what's it's doing with the cheap stuff. 

$180 for a brick of lapua or $20 for 50rd of Elley is a bit much for just plinking or shooting squirrel and what not lol. 

O and as far as my buddy he's a older guy kinda a gun nut he's always trying to show me how much a old trap or gun or what ever I picked up is really worth lol. Said when he saw the picture he had a feeling I might have gotten more than what I had thought, also probably just his way of making sure I don't go ripping this gun apart like the 12yr old I am I heart ?? again I bout this out a pawn shot for less then $200  most folks around here would buy it for a truck gun an be none the wiser . Have actually seen a few guns like this being kept in barns just to shoot starlings ,rats and such.

As far as if I where to scope it, well I wouldn't scope this one but I do have a 510 in the vice I'm looking to rebarrel 

IMG_20201226_190055353.jpg.c9b5745ce83472cb7ab8b832039dd862.jpg

Would give to put a repro unertal  scope on it to give it a retro target rifle look like this 513, modern scope just don't look like they belong in these older rifles like these do. 100552523_2628_AE80B1DA3667E100.jpg.8da40af6f60f1c8f179921669fa637eb.jpg

But barrel first then mabye scope it next.

14 hours ago, Meece said:

Years ago there used to be a trigger pressure gauge at the rifle club.  Back then the trigger pull for competition rifles was 3.5lb. But I  think that was for some sort of service rifle competition shooting. My Anschutz target rifle has a trigger that is sooo light that you just think ...fire.  when i first went to the club I used an old club gun with a really heavy trigger.  When I  bought my Anschutz the trigger was lignt and my scores jumped up 10 points overnight which is a phenomenal difference.

Ps.  If this rifle was set up for target type shooting ( with those sort of Lyman target sights) it may well have a trigger pressure like that.

I'm not target shooter but I've always thought the play in the trigger introduces a bit of wobble as it alters the angle of your grip very slightly as you take up the slack and reduces accuracy. Same with increased pressure. The heavier the pull the more presure you put through your thumb and fingers espcially the thumb. It might be slight, only fractions of a millimeter but over distance it adds up to several whole mm or cm if there's a slightly larger movement. Having a hair trigger break is the ultimate for accuracy. Unfortunately it's not safe in the field that light. However, having no creep and a clean break will aid a lot in my opinion when it comes to target. That Cadet rifle I shot literally you didn't pull the trigger you touched it. Not sure what the break weight was but I'm guessing ounces.

8 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Brought it out to the range with me in my weekly brass clean up today and did some testing with some ammo I have . Distance was 25.5 yards. 10 rounds each group. Just shooting off a sand sock. The sight is actually bottomed out on the evevation so can't zero it the way I'd prefer. Usually I like the to have the center of the target in the very top of my front sight but with this I'm more aiming towards the bottom. Not the hardest thing to do but not the most precise. Good enough to plink shot she'll hulls at 35 and smack a 5" going at 50-75 so can't complain to much lol.

IMG_20201226_170030273.jpg.cef5cd3ca6ad50307b5c3b8debefa6dd.jpg

Seems to prefer the federals followed by the thunder bolts.

Might try again with a rear and front bag . Regardless it's more than accurate for anything I'd want to do with it lol

It seems to like federal out of the cheep stuff you've got. 

Edited by Alsone