Kennel sleeping area

If you had a block built kennel block (so indoors) would you want the dog in a small enclosed sleeping box or just in the open on a raised bench? I have seen lads do both just wonder wondered which people use and why? Both need to be up off the floor obviously. 

I built block kennels and started off with the dogs in the open on beds but it soon became apparent that in the winter this isn’t nowhere near warm enough. They are now in boxes inside the block kennel. 

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, socks said:

I built block kennels and started off with the dogs in the open on beds but it soon became apparent that in the winter this isn’t nowhere near warm enough. They are now in boxes inside the block kennel. 

How big are your block kennels mate?? Run size and sleeping box size? 

A dog's own body heat will just keep escaping from its body without a structure to bounce it back. On a raised bed all that heat is lost through the night. A wooden box traps the heat and bounces a lot of  that heat back onto the dog.

• Like 1

They are tough little critters for sure Sid .My older bitch won’t settle this cold weather unless she’s got a cover on the door as well as straw .My wife wants her in but she dosnt settle then either ,pacing to go out .Once you kennel a dog I reckon it’s best to keep it up myself .Socks has a very good piece pinned on what to do in cold weather ,what section I’m not sure without looking .

My Lurcher and Whippet have a kennel each in the shed with warm blankets in them.

But they often pull the blankets onto the shed floor and sleep on them.

Or they will jump up on the kennels and sleep on them no matter what the weather. 

But the shed and kennels are water and windproof so i all is well i suppose.

2 hours ago, baker boy said:

Got a black dog here will only sleep curled up in the corner of his run any box of any discription he'll tear it to bits, wont have a water bowl in his run either, a right awkward bast@rd he is

Dogs often take after their owners BB?

I was extremely lucky when I kennelled mine as each had a 9 feet run into a large wooden box which housed each individual bed . 

the boxes backed into a larger shed with an access room to all the beds . 

in the winter snows I’d leave one run door open for them all to use , with a heat lamp on in the shed with a few blankets duvets etc . 

9 times out of ten I’d find them all asleep there all tucked in together . Depends your situation and how your dogs are but as said I was lucky and had 4 lurchers who’s do that no bother . 

I removed the terrier though and stuck her in what would be called the wash house in old council houses like mine . 

never a fight or a drama . Lucky really they all got along no bother 

Years past when I had ferrets as well ,the kennels were back to back against the ferret court .One terrier ,willow an NS x my stuff bitch would bark to be let in with the ferrets first thing in the morning ,she adored them . Ferrets now gone as there’s none or very few rabbits here now .Kennels are individual though all dogs let out daily .They spend sleeping time all in one kennel ,the very best heating system if they get on .