Covid recession?

Now we all know the economy will take a knock...but...

Could there be a boom once restrictions are lifted? It all depends on the vaccine and anything could happen, but let's just say that by April the vaccine has worked and its game on, how many ordinary people will be in a bad place and how many will be in a good position ready to spend, trade, holiday and party on...?

Now I can only speak from what I see and I know that some people are struggling, but how many. 

I visit upto 10 homes and businesses a day and most people seem to be busy. Businesses with full orders. I go to wood yards that are short of timber because everyone is building sheds and bars in their garden. DIY shops flat out, engineering companies busy. Every one seems to be doing well enough. 

Even businesses that are being hit are adapting. I know 3 people who work in the wedding industry, all have got government help yet also found work somewhere else....and are looking forward to the wedding boom next year when they have double bookings! I know salesmen that got furloughed yet were also working full time elsewhere rather than sitting at home, double bubble! I see that more than people struggling in my experience. Again I know some are struggling but I personally don't know or meet them. The pubs are taking all the government help and are still making cash on takeaways, one local pub is booked up by Tuesday for following weekend takeaway orders. I know 3 micro brewers who have all invested their government help in extra capacity for when the restrictions are lifted. 

I've been involved in 2 big food bank collections, and they collected tons of food. One of them phoned my Mrs up (because she's on various busy body committees) asking if she could suggest any local people who would like a donation of food as they had so much. They are giving boxes of it to old people in the village (small town really). Now that's really nice, but these oap's certainly don't need it, it's nice but they aren't hungry they really aren't. 

I went helping at a soup kitchen recently. Honestly I expected ex service men and people with touching stories. Most of em were a bunch of complete dicks. I recognised half of em from around the local towns where they make a nuisance of them selves. Pissed and giving abuse to the old dears trying to feed em. The other half were mental health cases. 

Like I say I'm not trying to be a prick, I know some will have it hard....im just struggling to find em.. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Now we all know the economy will take a knock...but...

Could there be a boom once restrictions are lifted? It all depends on the vaccine and anything could happen, but let's just say that by April the vaccine has worked and its game on, how many ordinary people will be in a bad place and how many will be in a good position ready to spend, trade, holiday and party on...?

Now I can only speak from what I see and I know that some people are struggling, but how many. 

I visit upto 10 homes and businesses a day and most people seem to be busy. Businesses with full orders. I go to wood yards that are short of timber because everyone is building sheds and bars in their garden. DIY shops flat out, engineering companies busy. Every one seems to be doing well enough. 

Even businesses that are being hit are adapting. I know 3 people who work in the wedding industry, all have got government help yet also found work somewhere else....and are looking forward to the wedding boom next year when they have double bookings! I know salesmen that got furloughed yet were also working full time elsewhere rather than sitting at home, double bubble! I see that more than people struggling in my experience. Again I know some are struggling but I personally don't know or meet them. The pubs are taking all the government help and are still making cash on takeaways, one local pub is booked up by Tuesday for following weekend takeaway orders. I know 3 micro brewers who have all invested their government help in extra capacity for when the restrictions are lifted. 

I've been involved in 2 big food bank collections, and they collected tons of food. One of them phoned my Mrs up (because she's on various busy body committees) asking if she could suggest any local people who would like a donation of food as they had so much. They are giving boxes of it to old people in the village (small town really). Now that's really nice, but these oap's certainly don't need it, it's nice but they aren't hungry they really aren't. 

I went helping at a soup kitchen recently. Honestly I expected ex service men and people with touching stories. Most of em were a bunch of complete dicks. I recognised half of em from around the local towns where they make a nuisance of them selves. Pissed and giving abuse to the old dears trying to feed em. The other half were mental health cases. 

Like I say I'm not trying to be a prick, I know some will have it hard....im just struggling to find em.. 

Pretty much the same story round here. 

• Like 1

This is just part of what our masonic group collected. 

This was distributed via a local church that is well organised so I presume it was much more targeted in the people it helped....

I don't want to suggest food bank food isn't needed or helpful or that people shouldn't support them.....i just want to make that clear!!!!! 

Screenshot_20201221_195026.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Pubs and resturaunts for starters  gyms 

How many will go under never to return?

That will equate to plenty job losses.

Shops also at a guess will be lost with a move massively towards your Amazon’s ect 

Hopefully Gov will try to create other jobs in varying sectors to counter balance things .

Who knows but fingers crossed we all come thru it at ground level .

Yeah definitely. I'm not doubting or arguing. 

Our local gyms aren't struggling and won't go under. I only know of 3 in detail. 2 got government grants and furlough for staff that I know about. Both are open under tier 3. One has invested his grant in doing the place up. The other is doing fine. One is owned by a friend of a friend and I do pest control round the other on a business park area. 

The 3rd is a climbing gym I take my son to. They are doing to well and are turning away new registrations as so many people went looking for something to do. 

Me personally I don't see it happening in the businesses and pubs/restaurants I work alongside and in. I know it will happen, I'm just not seeing dramatic evidence of it yet. Again I'm not arguing or belittling it in any way. 

One local butchers has just shut....because they have 700 plus orders to get ready for Christmas! In 8 years they have never had to do that! 

8 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

A few lads who have managed to get a job at the place I work one a skilled machinist have told me engineering and steel works job's have took a right battering around these parts Sheffield/Rotherham. 

Yeah? 

All the engineering places round her are busy. I work around a few and I have a make who is looking for machine staff....i don't know the in and outs though. Are they called cnc machines or something? I do pest control around a few engineering type places and all have full order books....i understand its different everywhere though so not arguing. Perhaps they could strip in a local working mens club (once they open of course) 

4 minutes ago, sid g said:

my mates a singer works in greece during the summer season does the uk during the winter he`s not worked since march as a singer one of the bars he works in greece is owned by italians  they`ve said they wont open next year ....he`s driving a van for a living at the moment and he dont really know when he`ll work again at his own job --- entertainments been hit really bad .. the little diy shop in our village closed when he could`nt buy stock to sell mrs mate is now picking orders till tommora when she gets laid off instead of hairdressing my sons gone agency work after being made redundant  last month life goes on and you have to do what you can i guess ...

Yeah I can see the resorts in Europe being hit hard and worrying times for them 

4 minutes ago, gnipper said:

We've been mad busy at work too which has been harder than normal with covid restrictions and not being able to travel with lads in the vehicle etc.

If it all goes tits up you should follow your dreams and become a shrimper 

• Like 1

I work for a telecom company and also dig bait for a local tackle shop. Ive never seen either so busy; I'm dealing with double the customers I normally would and we can't dig enough worm. Won't mean alot to many but in 1 week me and the other lad dug over 100lbs of worm plus the bought in rag and it still wasn't enough. 

• Like 5