Deerhound

11 hours ago, grompz said:

any of the irish lads on here, heard or know anything about the rathcreevagh deerhounds, bred in the republic, by a chap by the name of alan, is this alan charles who bred a good strain of deerhounds anddeerhoundxs, heard these dogs carry a bit of doxhope, and coursing lines in them, any of you boys, seen any thing out of them run, or are they just another money spinner, price tag of 1200 quid, just asking.

I dont think he breeds greyhound,s x any more .He has about 12 full bred,s and would give you a service of 1 of them he didnt charge anywhere near 1200 for a pup.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my Cooklands bred first cross Deerhound/Greyhound,he was 10yrs last month just under 31tts which to me has not hampered him(watch Axel on Lurcher Mania) he has worked/works certain types of cove

Real deerhound crosses...... Cheers.  

Wheatan/Greyhound x Deerhound; Cheers.  

Posted Images

11 hours ago, hounddog3 said:

I dont think he breeds greyhound,s x any more .He has about 12 full bred,s and would give you a service of 1 of them he didnt charge anywhere near 1200 for a pup.

reason that i  stated the 1200 for a pup was that alan had alitter of  litter of pure deerhound pups, advertised in dec 9th2020 country mans weekly, ive got contact for him now, so i will be able to talk to the man direct,price is irrelevant if there is qualitybreeding in them, but just my opinion, thankyou lads for your feedback.atb

• Like 2
On 25/12/2020 at 10:30, grompz said:

any of the irish lads on here, heard or know anything about the rathcreevagh deerhounds, bred in the republic, by a chap by the name of alan, is this alan charles who bred a good strain of deerhounds anddeerhoundxs, heard these dogs carry a bit of doxhope, and coursing lines in them, any of you boys, seen any thing out of them run, or are they just another money spinner, price tag of 1200 quid, just asking.

I sent a message to an Irish Breeder of Scottish Deerhounds the year before last, it may well have been this guy.  A top breeder.  The thing that prompted me was that the Deerhounds were described as being redder in colour than you would see in the UK.  The kennel club possibly has preferences for the colour of Deerhounds that everyone recognizes.  Maybe narrowing the gene pool available, to the detriment o' the Deerhound type?

Some Deerhounds in Ireland seem to have a different colour gene.  Red.  Such dogs would likely improve the Gene pool in the UK if bred with dogs here.  Especially working Deerhound strains if brought over.  A broader Gene pool with a wider range of colouration would likely bring back some of the older Deerhound genetics too, as well as a broader variety of colour.  It might result in more vigour which unfortunately Deerhounds are in need of due to the likes of Bone Cancer.

Irish hounds have been the creme de la creme for the last 2,000 years.  Puppy farming etc etc has sadly overshadowed this a bit.  However it's true.  The best Sighthounds are often bred in Ireland.

There were very few breeders of Scottish Deerhounds in ROI.  I think actually I only found one breeder.  I regret the breeder didn't email me back.  I think the price was 1200, either Euros or pounds which I would have invested to try and raise a good stud dog.  That was the plan.  ATB

2 hours ago, Campbell said:

I sent a message to an Irish Breeder of Scottish Deerhounds the year before last, it may well have been this guy.  A top breeder.  The thing that prompted me was that the Deerhounds were described as being redder in colour than you would see in the UK.  The kennel club possibly has preferences for the colour of Deerhounds that everyone recognizes.  Maybe narrowing the gene pool available, to the detriment o' the Deerhound type?

Some Deerhounds in Ireland seem to have a different colour gene.  Red.  Such dogs would likely improve the Gene pool in the UK if bred with dogs here.  Especially working Deerhound strains if brought over.  A broader Gene pool with a wider range of colouration would likely bring back some of the older Deerhound genetics too, as well as a broader variety of colour.  It might result in more vigour which unfortunately Deerhounds are in need of due to the likes of Bone Cancer.

Irish hounds have been the creme de la creme for the last 2,000 years.  Puppy farming etc etc has sadly overshadowed this a bit.  However it's true.  The best Sighthounds are often bred in Ireland.

There were very few breeders of Scottish Deerhounds in ROI.  I think actually I only found one breeder.  I regret the breeder didn't email me back.  I think the price was 1200, either Euros or pounds which I would have invested to try and raise a good stud dog.  That was the plan.  ATB

Ya some of his his r a silver color every so often maybe only 1 in the litter so he keep,s them the Doxhope breeding is throw most of his dogs way back .

On 26/12/2020 at 20:11, Campbell said:

Alot has the red gene in Ireland even the dogs lol

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

And? How do / did you find this cross?

The one I had was from Dave slighte,it was bred from a small greyhound bitch 25in I think to a Platts stud dog, the bitch pup I took turned out black rough coated and 25in and absolutely rapid and mad keen to use it’s mouth, but it’s do or die attitude was it’s downfall it dun a wrist in diving below the bottom wire on a fence when lamping one night and was never the same, I guess we’ll never know if it would of made a really good dog but That’s the dog game for you, if anyone’s thinking of this cross go for it.

• Like 1