Deerhound

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my Cooklands bred first cross Deerhound/Greyhound,he was 10yrs last month just under 31tts which to me has not hampered him(watch Axel on Lurcher Mania) he has worked/works certain types of cove

Real deerhound crosses...... Cheers.  

Wheatan/Greyhound x Deerhound; Cheers.  

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

This was a mating of a Doxhope blooded deerhound and an Irish coursing bitch Sired by Mafi Magic.

She was quite small for a coursing bitch, only 56 lb.

IMG_4406.JPG.16a354cdc49db9523c38058f99454ce4.JPG

Id have had a pup, but sadly she didn't take.

Cheers.

Those would of been nice,I’ve got no fancy now for another lurcher but if the was a genuine litter of 1stx deerhound/greyhound put back to a whippet I would probably take one of them anyway.It’s a shame John and Rupert slack was still producing as I know he struggled to get a good deerhoundx stud for new blood.

27 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

This was a mating of a Doxhope blooded deerhound and an Irish coursing bitch Sired by Mafi Magic.

Cheers.

56lb is certainly very small for an Irish bitch.

34 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Don’t hear much about that doxhope blood anymore are they still breeding lurchers? Local lad had a first cross out of doxhope stuff must be 10 years ago now, big dog about 30tts it was fairly capable, think a bitch would be a better choice for an all round lurcher though.

Just now, Shadow100 said:

Don’t hear much about that doxhope blood anymore are they still breeding lurchers? Local lad had a first cross out of doxhope stuff must be 10 years ago now, big dog about 30tts it was fairly capable, think a bitch would be a better choice for an all round lurcher though.

Bill hasn't bred anything for years.

My bitchs litter was the last by his old stud dog but Cook had him them. She's almost 12.

I don't think anyone is deliberately breeding Doxhope blood now, but Cook and my pal both have pures with Doxhope blood.

I suppose saying you have a "Doxhope" dog now is a bit like saying you have a "Minshaw"......they may have some of that blood, but it's diluted and way back !

But I don't want to open that particular can of worms ! ? !

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Am at Bill`s often (DOXHOPE) he has not bred a litter for years many years now, he has no dogs at all, he into his photography, wildlife and he takes photos for us when we are ratting with the terriers.

PUD 

• Like 4

I am probably stating the obvious to those that know but is conditioning a deerhound type not even more crucial to how it will perform more than other types? All working dogs should be in the best possible condition but we are not all always perfect in regard to that. A smaller whippet or greyhound sized dog can do the job asked when not in perfect condition, in the field, more easily than a larger deerhound stamp? Could be the reason why some folk think big dogs are too big to be of use.

10 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Perfect size to breed lurches ‘ especially Deerhound crosses.

Did they not try again next heat Charts ?

If it's a small bitch from a line of tall irish coursing greyhounds the chances are that most of the pups would grow to the same size as they would have done if bred from a tall bitch. Genetically irish coursing hounds are tall and back breeding would mostly be dominant, whatever the size of the mother.

The occasional pup might well take after the mother in size but it wouldn't be easy to predict which one.

Personally I do like a rangy one so it wouldn't worry me either way.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
5 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

Perfect size to breed lurches ‘ especially Deerhound crosses.

Did they not try again next heat Charts ?

Because she was Small dosent say her pups would if it was me i would a Track bitch to keep the size down .most of them coursing bitches r around 80 LB,S if the rest of her litter were monsters then she could throw big pups .The track one are faster and more agile .

11 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

Any good stamp of greyhound would improve the conformation of the modern deerhound be they track or field 

That brindle coursing bred bitch of 56lb looked a nice stamp in my eyes.

But each to their own ?

Think it’s safe to say any lurcher would improve the deerhound if it’s for use in the field just like say a  collie/beddy/bull improves the greyhounds use in the field I’m still convinced that a Lurcher would be a better option to add to a deerhound to improve it