Deerhound

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my Cooklands bred first cross Deerhound/Greyhound,he was 10yrs last month just under 31tts which to me has not hampered him(watch Axel on Lurcher Mania) he has worked/works certain types of cove

Real deerhound crosses...... Cheers.  

Wheatan/Greyhound x Deerhound; Cheers.  

Posted Images

8 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Does Liz McCormack still have the Deerhounds ?

Cheers.

The second bloke I was talking about I'm sure has a daughter called Liz, I think she may have taken over the dogs from her dad. It's many years ago now.The other guy was James Callan who had working deerhounds and two Am bulldogs, I got a bulldog pup off him and was not disappointed, Floyd was a great guard dog and character.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Aren't the Staghounds over the pond carrying a lot of Deerhound blood. 

It's a dog breed that I should imagine isn't a world beater as a pure but they make good crosses. 

Now is that a case of these dogs being good because of Deerhound blood or despite it. 

They are basically deer/greyhound but from dogs brought over from the first settlers. They have almost exclusively been used for hunting for a couple of hundred years and have great bush sense, my blue whippet is 1/4 staghound. Some lines have bull, Airdale,cattle dog or other breeds. I think the deerhound is a vital ingredient in these stags.

1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

The second bloke I was talking about I'm sure has a daughter called Liz, I think she may have taken over the dogs from her dad. It's many years ago now.The other guy was James Callan who had working deerhounds and two Am bulldogs, I got a bulldog pup off him and was not disappointed, Floyd was a great guard dog and character.

Did he ever breed the American bulldog with the deerhound

19 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Deerhound type strain of lurchers

I don’t think no one could do a strain of deerhound Lurchers that topped out at 25-26 there always going to be bigger if based on deerhound as the base of the strain but there’s plenty of Lurcher types out there with old school deerhound blood still in there veins producing 25-26tts dogs an bitches a couple of inch’s smaller normally. Tbh I don’t know what modern deerhound greyhound could offer in modern times that run of the mill Lurchers of today don’t already offer the thing is modern day Lurchers are doing the old deerhound xs job pretty efficiently ie foxing an dropping deer.I love traditional Lurchers but big deerhound xs have been found wanting that’s why there no longer in favour as just deerhound greyhound long dogs 

8 hours ago, baker boy said:

Would love to see a Deerhound type strain of lurchers levelling out at about 25-26 nice racy type with plenty of drive

There was no shortage of this type in the 90's mate, they were popular up here in the north east, along with 3/4 greyhound types. I'd be surprised if we ever see a revival 

• Like 3