Deerhound

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my Cooklands bred first cross Deerhound/Greyhound,he was 10yrs last month just under 31tts which to me has not hampered him(watch Axel on Lurcher Mania) he has worked/works certain types of cove

Real deerhound crosses...... Cheers.  

Wheatan/Greyhound x Deerhound; Cheers.  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, nothernlite said:

Nice you no tempted to have one charts ?

That one was offered to me about a year ago, but I didn't take it, I wish I had of !

Still looking for something that catches my eye.

Bit weird just now, I can't even cross the border up to yours without fear of arrest ! Supposed to be police checks.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, chartpolski said:

That one was offered to me about a year ago, but I didn't take it, I wish I had of !

Still looking for something that catches my eye.

Bit weird just now, I can't even cross the border up to yours without fear of arrest ! Supposed to be police checks.

Cheers.

Aye its fecked up ive no even been down there myself were no meant to leave our area but been going up the glen 

Be good to import semen or even proven stock from American staghounds. A lad on here imported an Australian pig dog which  he used to track wild boar. Ignored all other game, just wedded to pigs.

Edited by jukel123

Its a shame really I've always had a soft spot for a deerhound cross, had a couple over the years, but alas when i look at todays specimens i just have to shake my head and walk away, bit like show greyhounds. If I wanted to start a line of decent working rough coated lurchers i'd look elsewhere.

2 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

It’s a worthwhile project to try set a better type of working British deerhound imo ?

As said for me the size needs to come down a little and adding good Wheaton x Greys

Beddy x Greys and pure Greyhound blood into good deerhound bitches wouldn’t do the breed any harm going forward ?

My own deer/grey bitch is quite big at 29 inches but that suits me as she moves well and can catch stuff fairly efficiently on the varying types of ground I run on. I wouldn't want any bigger though. 

cooling off.JPG

Sadie 08.02.15.jpg

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 10

I’ve seen a few deerhound hybrids and the best one head and shoulders above the rest was a big old rangy half cross to a fast coursing bitch. 

the dog looked exactly like those big wolf chasers you see in the Wild West pics . Heavy shoulders but lean and hard . Exactly like those big scruffy things that the older lads would call “ staghounds “ . 

the rest of the scruffy mongrels with beddy and wheaten blood weren’t worth a rub