SGAR's &Squirrels

3 hours ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

Thats what I was wondering; are squirrels just as likely  to take a grain bait w/w difenacoum etc as they are the licensed warfarin formulation?

Yes  they will eat it, have to be very careful where i live when treating rats as we have red squirrels . If customer has seen them in garden for example i will uses traps in a tunnel as for some reason reds dont seem to go into tunnels unlike greys seem to. another safe place is under closed decking where only the rats seem to go ever

Edited by Staffy1

The rat baits have bitrex in them. Squirrels will eat it, but they will not eat it as well as without bitrex, they will definitely chew it, but with any accumulative bait you need to keep it going in till they are dead. Otherwise you promote avoidance and I guess immunity. 

Squirrel warferin doesn't have bitrex and is eaten by squirrels much more freely. 

Trap them if you can. Poison bait is a tool for a professional who has to deal with certain situations quickly. 

I don't know your situation so I'm not trying to be a clever cnut ?

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, myersbg said:

the warfarin squirrel bait is for indoor use only

I have a feeling you are right but they have changed the licencing a few times over the last couple of years. 

Env still showing outdoors in their description. Can't see many people ever using it outdoors these days 

Screenshot_20201223_231227.jpg

On 22/12/2020 at 19:35, DIDO.1 said:

The rat baits have bitrex in them. Squirrels will eat it, but they will not eat it as well as without bitrex, they will definitely chew it, but with any accumulative bait you need to keep it going in till they are dead. Otherwise you promote avoidance and I guess immunity. 

Squirrel warferin doesn't have bitrex and is eaten by squirrels much more freely. 

Trap them if you can. Poison bait is a tool for a professional who has to deal with certain situations quickly. 

I don't know your situation so I'm not trying to be a clever cnut ?

Also not trying to be a clever Cnut but squirrel warfarin does contain bitrex

https://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/shop/professional-insecticides-rodenticides/professional-rodenticides/grey-squirrel-bait-10kg-sack/

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, tilimangro said:

I didn't know that. I thought that was the reason squirrels won't eat rat bait in big enough quantities. Forget all my answers on the post ??

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I didn't know that. I thought that was the reason squirrels won't eat rat bait in big enough quantities. Forget all my answers on the post ??

I’ve used the warfarin on squirrels once after one escaped from a rat pack cage trap

wouldn’t touch any baited trap after that

had to use the bait but even that was a nightmare to get it to take

Eventually took it after I mixed it in with peanut butter

not a proud day for me

5 minutes ago, tilimangro said:

I’ve used the warfarin on squirrels once after one escaped from a rat pack cage trap

wouldn’t touch any baited trap after that

had to use the bait but even that was a nightmare to get it to take

Eventually took it after I mixed it in with peanut butter

not a proud day for me

I don't use it often but had a few cases of squirrels not going near traps. I was convinced that they had been caught and released before. I find they take the grain better if you tip it onto the insulation rather than a plastic tray. 

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 1

Yes, my initial thinking was that squirrels will succumb to my fenns quicker than the difenacoum w/w grain.

The situation is that there is evidence that both squirrels and rats are visiting this particular job, although due to the client having no concept of social distancing whatsoever - insisting on climbing in the loft with me despite my protests, then draping herself all over me trying to pick cobwebs off my hat after Id come down - an absolute fcuking nightmare of a woman - luckily me and my family has already had covid.

Anyway fenns and rodenticide it is - the sqizzers can take their pick and Im doubling my usual price.