Best terrier?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In not very far from you and have a bushing Pat, bushing Russel and bushing x bred springer / terrier type thing I would happily leave my runners at home and bring the bushers and push some stuff

Parson Russell I use with the whippet lurchers.

There you go mate, 30 years of breeding g best to best. 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Its horses for courses id say. Mate of mine keeps a mixed team of springers, cockers and terrier for bushing, I grew up around some very good spaniels and I mainly keep terriers now. If I'm honest, for finding and hunting quarry in cover I prefer a terrier, simply because they are small, quick and want to kill what they are after, rather than often working cover on semi auto pilot at times. I also find that a spaniels continuous motion often leads to the runners getting bored and stopping being so in tune with them, usually they can read the terrier well and when it starts to heat up they know whats coming. But in reality I've seen both do the job bang on, not all spaniels like the sharp end, some terriers drop to ground too much. You'd struggle to kill much in thick cover with a lab, when you out it against a good little bushing terrier.

What you say about the runners being more in tune with terriers or their crosses is spot on. 

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Skinny Whip said:

Great looking little dog mate.

He's a tidy looking terrier and good for working scrub,he will hunt all morning and come home and swing on a tyre for fun, good with the whippet bitches. Bad points are he's noisy, hates other male dogs and is always getting into strife. He is brave but not a hard digging type dog which suits me.

Proper bushing terrier knock socks of ya spaniel amd take it to places that arnt ideal for runners still got chance of killing something. Need one bred with bushing in mindhad them all spaniels terrier spaniels failed digging dogs and terriers bred with bushing in mind terrier bred that way is the only way to go imo.

• Like 1

Old boy I used to Terriers for had a few Terriers running with the hounds. He used to let them go to ground and walk off as pups. Not something I d do but none of those Terriers would stay to ground . Excellent little bushing pack if we only had small planting’s to do . And really push hard in heavy cover 

Glad to hear love to see a little terrier working hedge rows & bramble patches got a bitch here who’s shaping up but she bred out of digging terriers she’s a little thing compared to what her litter mates was but she showing signs of dropping in now don’t get me wrong I’ve had beagle & cocker terrier x’s cracking mix for working but I love to see terriers hunting & marking . Remember coming on here a few years ago & Newkid’ mob done a video with little dog working hedge fekin great stuff music as well never forget it atb Flacko 

2 hours ago, Flacko said:

Glad to hear love to see a little terrier working hedge rows & bramble patches got a bitch here who’s shaping up but she bred out of digging terriers she’s a little thing compared to what her litter mates was but she showing signs of dropping in now don’t get me wrong I’ve had beagle & cocker terrier x’s cracking mix for working but I love to see terriers hunting & marking . Remember coming on here a few years ago & Newkid’ mob done a video with little dog working hedge fekin great stuff music as well never forget it atb Flacko 

I’ve been around a few bushing terriers. The JRT above was called Bella. Still is the best bushing terriers I have clapped eyes on and I’m not just saying that because I know Newkid. I used to run my spaniel terrier with her most weeks from when he was about 6 months. She stayed with us a lot and she  was great with the kids. Watching her bush and ferret opened my eyes up to having a terrier around rather than just Lurchers. Unfortunately she had to be spayed so there was never a litter taken from her. 

• Like 2
On 21/12/2020 at 23:41, SheepChaser said:

Its horses for courses id say. Mate of mine keeps a mixed team of springers, cockers and terrier for bushing, I grew up around some very good spaniels and I mainly keep terriers now. If I'm honest, for finding and hunting quarry in cover I prefer a terrier, simply because they are small, quick and want to kill what they are after, rather than often working cover on semi auto pilot at times. I also find that a spaniels continuous motion often leads to the runners getting bored and stopping being so in tune with them, usually they can read the terrier well and when it starts to heat up they know whats coming. But in reality I've seen both do the job bang on, not all spaniels like the sharp end, some terriers drop to ground too much. You'd struggle to kill much in thick cover with a lab, when you out it against a good little bushing terrier.

That's a very good point regarding a gundog's continuous motion. I always used terriers for what is now called bushing to find and flush (catching was a bonus) for lurchers or whippets or the gun. I never felt the need to add anything else but they were jack of all trades and were only worked for sport/fun. Recent years I've been going out with a friends ESS's and their drive and work rate is incredible and a joy to see. But I find them hard to read as they go 100 mph all the time. I could well see a running dog having the same problem unlike following a terrier that has different gears and when game is on it is more obvious and dare I it say more exiting? But, obviously terriers of a size and an inclination to go to ground bring a whole set of other complications. Knowing your ground used to go a long way to minimising the problem of more than one getting in but of course it is now far more problematic in regard to staying on the right side of current laws.

• Like 2