Whippet racing - looking for book tips

As I understand it, it is not common to race working whippets and vice versa. 

But maybe there is somebody out there that can give me some hints. 

I am looking for books, magazines, whatsovever dealing with whippet racing, ped and non ped, and things like straight racing (something we do not have here) in english speaking countries. 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, steve66 said:

Think the magazine the whippet news is still going , probably best joining some facebook whippet racing groups for info 

Got some names of racing clubs? 

(I am Austrian. Means: absolutely no clue about the UK scene, names etc. )

5 hours ago, Rakete said:

As I understand it, it is not common to race working whippets and vice versa. 

But maybe there is somebody out there that can give me some hints. 

I am looking for books, magazines, whatsovever dealing with whippet racing, ped and non ped, and things like straight racing (something we do not have here) in english speaking countries. 

Thank 

Where are you located mate ?I race , lure course and catch the odd rabbit..am not sure about not common racing working whippets and vice versa  theres a lot of men and ladys work and race, if ya need any advise pm me I'm by no means an expert but could guide you in the right direction. The whippet or race dog is a good book .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, carp king said:

Where are you located mate ?I race , lure course and catch the odd rabbit..am not sure about not common racing working whippets and vice versa  theres a lot of men and ladys work and race, if ya need any advise pm me I'm by no means an expert but could guide you in the right direction. The whippet or race dog is a good book .

I am Austrian. So there is strictly and only oval racing every now and then and maybe some lure coursing events (like 4 or 5 for a whole country) for my dogs. 

But I'm really interested in the way whippet racing is and was done in the countries of origin, in lineage etc.

There is not much information around in german. 

(Own a race bred whippet pup myself. But american, belgian an czech lines, based on some Lyth, some Besaps etc) 

Edited by Rakete

I found this to be an interesting and informative book mostly dealing with the development of the KC Whippet as a racing, coursing and show dog in the 20th century. Loads of nice photographs as well including some of important dogs and bitches. One really bad bit of advice in the book though as one of the authors states that if you become serious about ferreting then you will leave your dog behind. Very wrong, a whippet is the greatest asset that a ferreter can have and there are few better sights than watching a whippet work with ferrets. A decent book all the same.

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

I found this to be an interesting and informative book mostly dealing with the development of the KC Whippet as a racing, coursing and show dog in the 20th century. Loads of nice photographs as well including some of important dogs and bitches. One really bad bit of advice in the book though as one of the authors states that if you become serious about ferreting then you will leave your dog behind. Very wrong, a whippet is the greatest asset that a ferreter can have and there are few better sights than watching a whippet work with ferrets. A decent book all the same.

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Thanks. 

Heard of it but hesitated as the last used "whippet bible" i got was overprized in shipping fees and was mainly expensive worn out pictures of long gone showdogs I am not interested in. 

I appreciate both your help a lot. So this forum made me spend way to much money by now within a few days. Haha. 

Edited by Rakete
2 hours ago, eastcoast said:

Are there any restrictions on using a running type dog with no guns involved hunting game in Austria?

Never been legal since 1700 or so.

There is no hunting tradition with sighthounds. Hunting breeds can only be used for pointing, retrieving etc, a dog catching game, a pig dog, a working terrier etc would be poaching and by all means against todays animal welfare rights. 

Seems to be the reason why there have been no middle european sighthound breeds established and no lurchers. No work for them. 

So they are kept as showdogs and pets only, many rescues from spain (Galgos and crosses) or ex-racers from Ireland. 

Working or "dual purpose" lines of all sighthound breeds can only be tested in privately run oval racing ( mostly 393  to 524 yards as my converter says) and lure coursing, which rarely takes place. 

No non ped scene. No straight racing (which I would prefer). 

Edited by Rakete
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Suffolkpest said:

This book is a bit dated.....

16078804479601097302975982400981.jpg

Think that is Pauline Wilsons book from back in the 70's. 

Founder of the Whippet News.

I have an origional copy of the book.

I met her at a bend racing meet, many years back , early 70's. I was running a bitch called Susan, (Blue Fawn x Young Lucy), in the Scratch Race for her owner.

The halcyon days of non-ped racing !

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Suffolkpest said:

I've done a little racing with mine, mostly I lamp and ferret with them. Can't see why anyone would struggle alternating between work and racing, only thing I'd mention is that they're a different crowd at racing.

This is how I understood it.  Or that the racing people are against hunting, a different kind of people, a different mentality. 

But what do I know??We only have show and lure coursing/racing people. And debates about "Fat showdogs. The show people ruin the breed. " "These racing people destroying the breed" and "Your pedigree whippet is a grew. So I do not talk to you" 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Rakete said:

This is how I understood it.  Or that the racing people are against hunting, a different kind of people, a different mentality. 

But what do I know??We only have show and lure coursing/racing people. And debates about "Fat showdogs. The show people ruin the breed. " "These racing people destroying the breed" and "Your pedigree whippet is a grew. So I do not talk to you" 

Just get out and have a look.round wi your little dog be fine