Intertesting goings on.

toolebox

I had shot the first of this pair of rabbits who had been living in some flax ,so I decided to action the other one today since they were only 50 yards from my front gate.The ferret did its job and the dogs found where it was located and pull it out.Flax forms large stands with a large tube like roots .Rabbits love it to dig into  & under the root balls as its dry and warm. Flat was once cut & dried to make hay bale string ,its very strong & tuff ,manys a time I've used a length to carry a good number of rabbits, the odd trout or to keep me pants up .lol.

20201204_162248.jpg

20201204_162225.jpg

20201204_162200.jpg

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 8

At times I've hunted almost all of the game available in New Zealand ,Ducks ,Geese, Red Deer,Fallow deer,Wild Pigs ,Wallabies and small game ,Rabbits Hares ,& Possums .All except Ducks & geese don't require any type of license nor is there a limit or season .Trout ,perch & salmon have a season and also require a license & have bag limits .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Chid said:

Do you get big areas of flax ? Over in the UK flax is used as an ornamental garden plant. (phormium)

Yes along most roadsides  there stands of flat ,it grows like a weed,possums like to nest in the stuff as when the leaves die off it just bends over and becomes very thick ,it is under this possums can find a dry warm nest. These animals only come out at night .Most terriers can kill a possum but they put up a good fight  using their claws & teeth ,I dont allow my dogs to hunt them as in a short period of time they go coon mad & hunt them over everything

else.

On 07/12/2020 at 10:10, toolebox said:

Most terriers can kill a possum but they put up a good fight  using their claws & teeth ,I dont allow my dogs to hunt them as in a short period of time they go coon mad & hunt them over everything

My Parson has nailed a couple in the yard where I've just moved to. When he first came here he cleaned up the rats and mice but now he is on the lookout for possums in the trees every time he's let out. I think he prefers the fight over a crunch on the rats. Luckily he shows no interest in a koala that visits the yard but I'm keeping an eye on him, lol.

9 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

My Parson has nailed a couple in the yard where I've just moved to. When he first came here he cleaned up the rats and mice but now he is on the lookout for possums in the trees every time he's let out. I think he prefers the fight over a crunch on the rats. Luckily he shows no interest in a koala that visits the yard but I'm keeping an eye on him, lol.

ha ha ha