Autistic kids

I have a lad 13 and girl 9 with autism.Can identify with a lot of things in this thread.A lot of the time it’s a bloody struggle but they are your kids and you do all can to help them cope with their difficulties.Need the patience of a saint most of the time with mine.

I wouldn’t change a thing about my two autistic kids though as they make me smile with their quirky ways.

A mooch with the bushers or a few hours fishing helps bring me back down when it’s getting a bit too much.Recharges the batteries to go again

Pic of my girl with a Teckel pup.Swimsuit on playing in the garden in November

362ABC1C-5B47-4A1A-ABAC-53B5C9EC8B1F.jpeg

Edited by Kevj
  • Like 10

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Animals are a gift for my lad mate, it relaxes him and he just likes being with them.  

One thing to remember is that autism is a huge spectrum disorder.  It hugely effects people in different ways , My little girl was diagnosed with an ASD and i wasnt happy about it. I thought they

I have a lad 13 and girl 9 with autism.Can identify with a lot of things in this thread.A lot of the time it’s a bloody struggle but they are your kids and you do all can to help them cope with their

Posted Images

One thing to remember is that autism is a huge spectrum disorder. 

It hugely effects people in different ways , My little girl was diagnosed with an ASD and i wasnt happy about it. I thought they were too quick to label her with a overarching type to nicely put her in a box that suited her needs. 

Shes into everything a girl should be , she loves physical activities like running walks and competition but she cant do team games at all. She can watch a music video once and repeat it and the dance moves verbatim and when shes happy shell ping out homework for days not a drama. 

Get her in a bad day though , No chance , might as well leave her in her pajamas and leave her to it. 

As an aside i think autism is a controversial word. I think its highly insulting and i get a little embarrassed when i meet those families struggling with a low functioning high risk child. Its heartbreaking seeing a child into his teens still in nappies and causing scenes. These parents are extremely thick skinned and often need to be. 

I can only count my blessings that my little girl is more a hyperactive , low attention type  than a respite care situation with some ive seen. 

Its such wide ranging diagnosis its almost impossible to compare two sufferers. Then again is sufferers the correct term ? 

When i was about three i would read the books in my nannas bookshelf in order and it would drive me wild if anyone touched my he man battle scenes. I never played with them just organised them and left them in the window of my bedroom so i could see them when i was outside. To this day if im doing a subject i have no interest in ill blank it stone dead , but if i am i go all in and have to go to the nth degree. 

Maybe for the majority of us , the autistic nature lies latent until required. 

Who Knows 

• Like 12

Well, it’s 1:15 in the morning and he is bouncing round the house shouting “Ninja” and basically making plans to do damage to his sleeping big brother ! Lol

May you always be a Ninja son, amazing ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Got to say, this has already been one of the most interesting, and a little bit of a 'learning curve' thread that I've read on here. You fellas, and your wives and partners, certainly got a bit more of my respect ?

• Like 7

It just goes to show how common this thing is getting. Yea probably a lot of kids had it years ago, before anyone knew what it was or how to help kids in the right way, but there are far more kids with it these days. The spectrum is wide  and no two kids are the same, but their is certainly common traits to connect all these kids by one trait or another

20201205_170847.jpg

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

It just goes to show how common this thing is getting. Yea probably a lot of kids had it years ago, before anyone knew what it was or how to help kids in the right way, but there are far more kids with it these days. The spectrum is wide  and no two kids are the same, but their is certainly common traits to connect all these kids by one trait or another

20201205_170847.jpg

Totally agree and it was a new one to me when my grandson was  diagnosed with it this thread proves it imho its more common than it was in the 60s and 70s when i were growing up.

• Like 1

Been an interesting read this i have no real clue or experience of autism in any way...the brother of a good friend of mine is Downs Syndrome and i absolutely adore him but i could imagine in some ways for " strangers " it is maybe easier to deal with a Downs kid than an Autistic kid because of how much more obvious it is to see/notice.....ive probably been around plenty of autistic people but just didnt know it as its not so obvious ?......fair do's though chaps yous all seem to be cracking on with it and doing great parenting jobs :thumbs:

• Like 8
1 hour ago, sid g said:

probly had a different name back in them days  a lad on our estate used to mimic planes  he knew that much stuff about everything .  always dressed smart big forest fan never missed a home game knew forest history inside out   he worked  at raleigh bikes when he left school ,,, they put it down as learning difficulties  -- because his mum n dad had him late in life :doh:

A mechanic chap ive known a long time owns a busy garage ....he only has to listen to an engine and without seeing the car he'll know what it is....could tell you the precise valve seat gap on a random 2007 Ford Mondeo and have it in a thousand pieces and back together within the hour,one of them types......but ask him what 9 add 7 is and he,s totally bolloxed !.....ive heard him say a few times that he probably has some kind of " problem " but has never had it diagnosed.....fascinating really.

Edited by gnasher16
13 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

A mechanic chap ive known a long time owns a busy garage ....he only has to listen to an engine and without seeing the car he'll know what it is....could tell you the precise valve seat gap on a random 2007 Ford Mondeo and have it in a thousand pieces and back together within the hour,one of them types......but ask him what 9 add 7 is and he,s totally bolloxed !.....ive heard him say a few times that he probably has some kind of " problem " but has never had it diagnosed.....fascinating really.

He is using his so called "problem" very well though mate.and has an impressive talent fair play ?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

I sometimes think it’s unfair and unnecessary to label kids and would like to think it’s just a case of everyone being different and there being no such thing as normal .

So long as people grow up knowing true right from wrong ‘good from bad ‘ what’s it matter ?

yes i agree max   seems these days they are all to keen to put folk in little boxes  ,becouse of this ,that or the other mind you there is some wierd fkrs about !!

5 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

I sometimes think it’s unfair and unnecessary to label kids and would like to think it’s just a case of everyone being different and there being no such thing as normal .

So long as people grow up knowing true right from wrong ‘good from bad ‘ what’s it matter ?

In an ideal world that’s probably not a bad attitude Max.

Unfortunately life is a box ticking excercise and if you don’t have a diagnosis and you keep your nipper off school then it’s a whole heap of hassle.

Not so bad here because there is a right to home educate any kid but you get my drift.

No diagnosis no Lea way and no access to things they may need. 

9 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

Thats true Max but how many kids just got labelled as dunces or weirdos years ago so maybe didnt get the type of educations or help that suited them.

• Thanks 1