Not really the weather for it.

I knew it was going to be a big moon last night, but checking the weather forecast it said it was going to be very cloudy, breezy and dry.

It was cloudy but still let quite a bit of moonshine through. It was so still it was almost eerie and raining. Well done BBC for being so shit at forecasting weather. 

Too late, we were there, so we persevered.

There wasn't much around but eventually Jack spotted a vixen through the thermal about 100 yards away. Maybe a little further. He lit it up, I took the shot and it went down, but then got up running in circles, despite the heart/lung shot. I put another in it, but instead  of being lights out, it sat up staring at us, requiring another. I had similar to this December time last year. Ii wonder if in the mating season they are so pumped up on hormones they become robofoxes?

Shortly after that, my lightforce blew either a bulb or the wiring - I'll have to check later, so we were stuck with the cordless lamp with much less range, but at least we didn't have to go home.

About an hour later I spotted a fox lying under a bush out of the rain. Maneuvering with the stealth of Apache Indians, we got into a position about 60 yards out where the lamp could light it up for the shot.  

I lit it up and Jack took aim. In the silence it felt like ages but to be fair he could only see the head and shoulders and it was laying flat on the ground in a dim red glow. It was in no rush to get wet, so stayed where it was until eventually Jack pulled the trigger. It cartwheeled over on the spot and it was lights out. 

He was a really good condition chubby dog fox.

20201202_234333.jpg.11ea86c05be5771ac8009708b31f187e.jpg

As we haven't been to this place for a couple of months I was expecting a bumper haul, but we didn't see any more and called it a night after another hour or so.

Still beats Eastenders though. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No it don’t , lol ?  good shooting Dave and a nice write up  atb 

Nice write up . And a good result. ? It would be a lot easier if I could just give you a like though instead of having to type this lot out .?

Well last night was a nightmare .I’m putting it down to being tired but missed two foxes that should of been brown bread .First admittedly was on the move walking towards me ,very close before I saw i

Posted Images

4 hours ago, walshie said:

I knew it was going to be a big moon last night, but checking the weather forecast it said it was going to be very cloudy, breezy and dry.

It was cloudy but still let quite a bit of moonshine through. It was so still it was almost eerie and raining. Well done BBC for being so shit at forecasting weather. 

Too late, we were there, so we persevered.

There wasn't much around but eventually Jack spotted a vixen through the thermal about 100 yards away. Maybe a little further. He lit it up, I took the shot and it went down, but then got up running in circles, despite the heart/lung shot. I put another in it, but instead  of being lights out, it sat up staring at us, requiring another. I had similar to this December time last year. Ii wonder if in the mating season they are so pumped up on hormones they become robofoxes?

Shortly after that, my lightforce blew either a bulb or the wiring - I'll have to check later, so we were stuck with the cordless lamp with much less range, but at least we didn't have to go home.

About an hour later I spotted a fox lying under a bush out of the rain. Maneuvering with the stealth of Apache Indians, we got into a position about 60 yards out where the lamp could light it up for the shot.  

I lit it up and Jack took aim. In the silence it felt like ages but to be fair he could only see the head and shoulders and it was laying flat on the ground in a dim red glow. It was in no rush to get wet, so stayed where it was until eventually Jack pulled the trigger. It cartwheeled over on the spot and it was lights out. 

He was a really good condition chubby dog fox.

20201202_234333.jpg.11ea86c05be5771ac8009708b31f187e.jpg

As we haven't been to this place for a couple of months I was expecting a bumper haul, but we didn't see any more and called it a night after another hour or so.

Still beats Eastenders though. 

Was that with ballistic tips? I have had similar using softpoints as they sometimes just go through without doing enough damage.

32 minutes ago, hambone said:

Was that with ballistic tips? I have had similar using softpoints as they sometimes just go through without doing enough damage.

Yes. V-max. Did plenty of damage but the animal didn't seem to know it at first. 

Can honestly say out of all the foxes I’ve shot only ever had one do anything bar spin round and die .Shot a large dog years ago with the 222 that made 40 yds before dying .In the main they arnt tough animals when shot Ive found ,not like deer anyway .Soft skinned and upper body shots seem to kill instantly .

Looked out last night and bottled it lol but out tomorrow come snow or high water .

• Like 1

Soft Southern foxes mate , Northern foxes much tougher ?? I remember years ago my mate was shooting 85 gr hollow points , 6 foxes in a row ran on anywhere up to 60 yds. I said can you not shoot them properly but on inspection every one was perfect behind the shoulder. I once shot a small vixen with 100 gr soft point and it just walked off with no reaction into some gorse , thought I had missed it but on checking was lying dead in the gorse.

• Like 1