Buffalo, montane and army smock

Wasn’t aware of any of the above until recently. Tend to ware a t shirt, something warm with a zip and a goretex army jacket.

Can I have your personal accounts of any of the above, including the style of above brand and what you use it for....and if you rate it.

I just mooch about in the daytime, woods, fields  and moorland. Tends to be for an hour or two, just walking slow stopping once or twice for a cuppa from my flask. I also carry a rucksack.

I was considering buying a buffalo.....they do a few similar, but different designs and was wondering which would suit me best hence wondering what you have found.

I believe the buffalo active is very similar to the army smock....the army smock been considerably cheaper.

• Like 1

I'm interested in the replies you get to this too. I've been considering getting a buffalo for several years but always end up changing my mind because a) I'm not certain if I'm entirely happy with the wet but warm philosophy (though I do use wool socks and trail running shoes for the majority of the year) and b) I'm a tad hirsute so I'm worried they'd be too warm.

• Like 1

It’s a lot of money to spend on something that might end up in the cupboard, but some people really rave about them. I think it’s a case of buying the right one......and washing them correctly. I don’t think you can use biological washing powder, non biological I believe is the one to use.

Don’t know if you’ve been on their site, but there are buyers reviews for each item they sell. 

Theres also a fella on YouTube “ Woolys  world” who’s  done several  reviews on these jackets and the montane, he also covers the army softie and smock......worth a watch..

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Best lightweight jacket for the money was one i bought off a member off hear who was selling them ex army camo can't remember his name he was also a dab hand with computers .

Flipper Al?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Best lightweight jacket for the money was one i bought off a member off hear who was selling them ex army camo can't remember his name he was also a dab hand with computers .

Bought one of those at the time. It lives in the car and I use it often. 20 odd quid...bargain. I bought one for my mate as well ??

• Like 1

I bought a Montane Extreme off a bloke on here they are extremely hot zips at the side to cool you down,  for walking or hiking far too hot but for laying in a ditch you can’t get better for warmth, I would say one thing I’m a large and they come up a little bit tight so what I’m saying is if your a fat large think about the XL overall a good bit of kit in the right circumstances. 

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

I bought a Montane Extreme off a bloke on here they are extremely hot zips at the side to cool you down,  for walking or hiking far too hot but for laying in a ditch you can’t get better for warmth, I would say one thing I’m a large and they come up a little bit tight so what I’m saying is if your a fat large think about the XL overall a good bit of kit in the right circumstances. 

Tidy kit if your stood around not moving?I use one for fishing... End up sweating your bollocks off if you do any amount of exercise in them... You used to be able to buy the matching trousers /dungarees for them?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Daniel cain said:

Tidy kit if your stood around not moving?I use one for fishing... End up sweating your bollocks off if you do any amount of exercise in them... You used to be able to buy the matching trousers /dungarees for them?

Spot on they are mega hot once you do any sort of exertion I stupidly tried to climb Pen Y Fan in mine it was off in no time on the Storey arms route which is quite a steep effort I ended up at the top in just a thermal layer in -5/8 winds I was boiling lol...

I’ve got a nice pair of Army issue oil resistant dungarees which are 100% waterproof little bit noisy though when your sneaking about.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, FLATTOP said:

Spot on they are mega hot once you do any sort of exertion I stupidly tried to climb Pen Y Fan in mine it was off in no time on the Storey arms route which is quite a steep effort I ended up at the top in just a thermal layer in -5/8 winds I was boiling lol...

I’ve got a nice pair of Army issue oil resistant dungarees which are 100% waterproof little bit noisy though when your sneaking about.

Lol, I chuck it in a bag for when I get to the summit?best coat I've worn up there for warmth in the snow, used to be up and down it 3/4 times a week in my younger days?

• Haha 1

The only smock garment i have is a Stoney Creek bush shirt i bought some years ago and hardly ever wear it its like a sweat bucket after a brisk walk then if you are static for any long period of time feels like you are wearing a sheet of ice any jacket for me would have to be a zip up.

• Like 1