Whale wars

34 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

The thing what intrigues me regarding hunting is when did we as humans get over compassionate towards other animals? 

I'm certain archaic humans felt remorse and guilt when killing animals, when did that emotion overcome our hunting instincts? 

when the animals are nearly wiped out

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When people forget what hunger is 

The thing what intrigues me regarding hunting is when did we as humans get over compassionate towards other animals?  I'm certain archaic humans felt remorse and guilt when killing animals, when

its a funny one for me....im not nessesarly against it ....but seems a shame to kill such wonderful creatures ...

14 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Television and film anthropomorphised animals. Rabbits, ( Bugs Bunny), deer, ( Bambi, Rudolph), foxes, (Basil Brush), etc, became quasi-human in many people's minds.

Just look at the pathetic response to rabbit being fed to contestants on Im A Celebrity !

Cheers.

Haven't humans done that for millennia though? 

Just look at old paintings, sculptures and carvings. 

Just now, Greb147 said:

Haven't humans done that for millennia though? 

Just look at old paintings, sculptures and carvings. 

Possibly, but there was no qualms about eating rabbit when I was growing up. 

No quips about things being different in the 1800's, please ! ? !

Cheers.

Just now, chartpolski said:

Possibly, but there was no qualms about eating rabbit when I was growing up. 

No quips about things being different in the 1800's, please ! ? !

Cheers.

For millions there's no qualms about eating meat but a large majority are now against hunting for sport. 

Not so long ago really, baiting of all sorts of animals took place in Britain. 

We all know it's cruel and did so back then, even those that had the lust for such activities knew it was inhumane. 

When did the cross over point happen though, when did that compassion start to change the course of history? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

its a funny one for me....im not nessesarly against it ....but seems a shame to kill such wonderful creatures ...

I'm the same mate, it feels hypocritical to condemn, but its just not for me....same as killing an Elephant, Lion, Leopard etc (,as much as I enjoy the tales of these big game hunts)...

Running gazelles with a decent running dog on the other hand....yes please..lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

The thing what intrigues me regarding hunting is when did we as humans get over compassionate towards other animals? 

I'm certain archaic humans felt remorse and guilt when killing animals, when did that emotion overcome our hunting instincts? 

Thats a good point mate...

Perhaps when we realised we are the direct link to making animals extinct, we begin to look more closely at our activities... I personally feel as much as a conservationist as a hunter, there are no doubts our greed for resource, land, meat, fish etc etc has irreversibly effected earth... in ancient times, you may took what you needed...evolution is a bitch..lol

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I'm the same mate, it feels hypocritical to condemn, but its just not for me....same as killing an Elephant, Lion, Leopard etc (,as much as I enjoy the tales of these big game hunts)...

Running gazelles with a decent running dog on the other hand....yes please..lol

exactly the same on all those creatures...and as you say running gazelle would be great to see

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Greb147 said:

I blame Gregg's, steak bakes, and cheese pasties, it's a sin 

• Like 1

Whales were hunted almost to extinction for their oil (ambergris) for perfume, blubber for oils for heating lighting etc.and, in Japan their meat- fed to dogs and eaten by humans.

In recognition that the individual species (almost all of them - blue, southern wright, hump back etc) might be hunted to extinction, an international whale hunting ban treaty was agreed. Japan hunts whales under a clause which allows hunting for scientific research - obviously not very many. The Japs target the minke species - not the biggest but the most prolific (at the moment). Given the international nature of the agreement the Japanese are clearly in breach of the spirit if not the absolute letter of the agreement.

My view is that the odd whale (checking numbers first) should be allowed to be hunted for research - the Japanese are doing it in commercial quantites. Whales are not anthropomorphised - thats ascribing human characteristics to animals.

Like the pheasants and deer I shoot, there should be plenty of them - I would stop shooting them rather than see them die out. I favour the anti side of the argument but there is a better way to do it than a stealth boat.I would allow a phased resumption when numbers permit but it will take a few lifetimes since they breed slowly but if not hunted live for a long time 100 years for the blue.

Edited by KES2
  • Like 1