New land and new permisson

So ive managed to secure my self a decent permission and a really nice ground to shoot on . Best of it is that the gamekeeper is happy for me to apply for my fac and take on pest control duties .

Now i havent got a clue what to apply for and what rifle/rifles ill need ? i really want to start fox shooting but im totally overwhelmed by all the different calibres/makes and equipment .

Ive only ever used 12 bore and terriers for foxing so im feeling a bit bewildered . Can any one give me some advice on where i should be starting rifle wise ? Any reccomendations for you tube channels or books ?

many thanks for reading

1 hour ago, poachers apprentice said:

So ive managed to secure my self a decent permission and a really nice ground to shoot on . Best of it is that the gamekeeper is happy for me to apply for my fac and take on pest control duties .

Now i havent got a clue what to apply for and what rifle/rifles ill need ? i really want to start fox shooting but im totally overwhelmed by all the different calibres/makes and equipment .

Ive only ever used 12 bore and terriers for foxing so im feeling a bit bewildered . Can any one give me some advice on where i should be starting rifle wise ? Any reccomendations for you tube channels or books ?

many thanks for reading

Well done nice one for you, the gamekeeper should keep you right with calibers surely.

19 minutes ago, poachers apprentice said:

I'm going to have a chat with him next week, just wanted some idea of what I should be looking at with regards to calibres. 

Rabbits, crows etc. .22rimfire, .17hmr,  for foxes .223 is a good all rounder, but there's also .17 & .22 hornet, .204 &.222, but the .223 is the most popular.

The gamekeeper will keep you right with these calibers, if you progress to roe deer at any point the .243 would be the one, and of course it will take care of the foxes as well.

Wish you success with your new permission, enjoy. ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, poachers apprentice said:

many thanks for reading

Will potentially (wrongfully) depend on what your constabulary will grant on 1st application, where are you? I'll get pelters off some people (hello Ianm!) but if you're lot are iffy about CF on grant + limited rifle experience, then I'd suggest HMR. I only have hmr at moment, (no variation until January then im getting a .204, that'll make Ianm be my friend again!) mint on rabbits & crows & I've had few foxes now all under 100yds. Its a foot in the door with some forces. 

1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

Will potentially (wrongfully) depend on what your constabulary will grant on 1st application, where are you? I'll get pelters off some people (hello Ianm!) but if you're lot are iffy about CF on grant + limited rifle experience, then I'd suggest HMR. I only have hmr at moment, (no variation until January then im getting a .204, that'll make Ianm be my friend again!) mint on rabbits & crows & I've had few foxes now all under 100yds. Its a foot in the door with some forces. 

I'm in Lincolnshire mate, I understand somewhat that I'll be restricted on what I can own. A friend who shoots rimfire and centre fire has agreed to let me shadow him on some trips out to see whats what. I've shot rimfire before under supervision so I'm not totally new to shooting. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 28/11/2020 at 14:08, poachers apprentice said:

many thanks for reading

Been a year - what did you go for?

Well done on getting your perm and I hope you do well. Just a thought. It might be an idea initially to find out from your firearms officer which calibers are allowed on the land and whether anyone all ready has these licensed. From memory it’s tricky ground. IMO. JOK.

21 hours ago, jok said:

Well done on getting your perm and I hope you do well. Just a thought. It might be an idea initially to find out from your firearms officer which calibers are allowed on the land and whether anyone all ready has these licensed. From memory it’s tricky ground. IMO. JOK.

Its been a year since he posted this, who knows what he is up to now, I think he is more of a Dog man though!