Coming on nicely...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The pup has started to mark at hight now, he air scented this squirrel which I shot with the scout.

His hunting up is getting better ?? , he air scented this cock bird from the path.  

I used to be jealous of people with pet springers, there dogs graft naturally, my lurchers just didn’t have that push to find where there wasn’t much game whereas these pet springers just did it for f

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Shortstraw said:

I’ve got a springer x lurcher........she puts all other lurcher/ hunting dogs I’ve owned to shame when it comes to squirrels. She’s brilliant to watch. I would really like my next to have springer in it when the time comes. Problem is nobody seems to breed them, mine was an accidental mating. I’d like 50% springer in there, but to be fair most dogs given a bit of time will do the job nicely.

Have you got any pictures of the dog? I'd like to see how she looks.

28 minutes ago, andysparks said:

Very nice, she looks spot on. You can defiantly see the spaniel in her. I don't recall ever seeing that cross for sale before so like you say, getting another would mean breeding your own.

Is it just squirrels or other stuff too your wanting the dog to work?

9 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Is it just squirrels or other stuff too your wanting the dog to work?

All sorts mate. Ideally I would like it to work and retrieve anything you can take with a catty and just be a general mooching companion. I know a pure spaniel would probably be ideal but i ferret as well so something crossed with a runner is really what I want. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Stockpot said:

Twenty odd years ago I used to knock around with a lad who had a bitch that was the result of a kennel mating between springer and a collie/whippet type. Perhaps a tad slow for classic lurcher work, but as a mooching, scrounging, ratching pot filler she took some beating. You could take her anywhere and not raise an eyebrow and the lad always had something edible hanging in his shed. Broke his heart when she died. Packed the game in and hasn't had a dog since. 

The more I'm hearing about this cross the more I'm liking it!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, andysparks said:

The more I'm hearing about this cross the more I'm liking it!

I used to be jealous of people with pet springers, there dogs graft naturally, my lurchers just didn’t have that push to find where there wasn’t much game whereas these pet springers just did it for fun. That’s why I searched out a lurcher with springer in it. By Christ I wasn’t disappointed. Still amazes me today how everyone doesn’t seem to look beyond the same old breeds...collie etc. Gundogs have so much to offer.

• Like 5
On 30/11/2020 at 13:17, Shortstraw said:

I used to be jealous of people with pet springers, there dogs graft naturally, my lurchers just didn’t have that push to find where there wasn’t much game whereas these pet springers just did it for fun. That’s why I searched out a lurcher with springer in it. By Christ I wasn’t disappointed. Still amazes me today how everyone doesn’t seem to look beyond the same old breeds...collie etc. Gundogs have so much to offer.

Trying to convince my oldest daughter to breed her well bred springer bitch to a whippet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...