3/4Grey Crosses

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I looked for ages for a 3/4 bred couldn’t find one years ago I waited an waited it never happened I didn’t fancy going to Hancock to get one I bought this bitch in the end she’s about 1/16 collie (Han

3/4 by Taffy

This was "Molly" 3/4 greyhound  1/4 beardie, best allround bitch I've ever had, took all edible and loved feather always had the knack of appearing with a few pheasants, if theres one I could have clo

Posted Images

18 hours ago, jake824 said:

I had one off him many years ago. Sire was Stormin Norman a half cross over a greyhound Bitch . Beautiful athletic muscular dog 27 tts. Great feet ,retrieve to hand ,would jump ,ferret , great with stock but would not enetertain Charlie . At 2 years old after I don t know how many attempts we called in a little vixen on the lamp to within about 20 yards away. He pulled into his lead and I let him go. He sprinted up to her slammed the anchors on and bayed like a terrier. I gave him to a chap who worked him on deer and kept him till he retired. Shame really I liked the dog . Saying that I ve seen 1 from Hancock years later that made short work of foxes. Good and bad in everything I suppose 

This little bitch was out of "Stormin  Norman to a black greyhound bitch called Lily", took all edible and had no interest in teeth, lovely bitch to have around 

20180718_155340.jpg

• Like 4

This was "Molly" 3/4 greyhound  1/4 beardie, best allround bitch I've ever had, took all edible and loved feather always had the knack of appearing with a few pheasants, if theres one I could have cloned for an allround moochin, ferreting, lamping bitch that loved a night on the pheasants it would be her. Sire was a greyhound called "Porterhouse Joe" if I remember correctly 

IMG-20161114-WA0005.jpg

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, brambles said:

This little bitch was out of "Stormin  Norman to a black greyhound bitch called Lily", took all edible and had no interest in teeth, lovely bitch to have around 

20180718_155340.jpg

She looks a nice bitch. Think the dam to mine was called jet. As you say good to have around very rarely did I have him on a lead . Hancock told me stormin Norman was throwing good fox dogs at the time so I took a chance . As I said earlier I’m picking a 3/4 gh 1/4 bull up next weekend so be interesting to see how she matures. I ll have another collie cross in the future maybe put one across my lads whippet . All the best 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, shaaark said:

My eldest lad had a 3/4 bred, sired by merlin, from hancock. Had one of the best temperaments, and easy going natures of any lurcher I've ever seen. Was easily trained, and was an extremely useful dog. A few of lads off here saw him work. Opened some people's eyes as to what some of these hancock 'jacking' bred lurchers are capable of, if you let them mature a bit before expecting a young sapling to slay all and sundry in it's 1st season's work.

Spot on mate it goes back to you get out what you put in ? I was a Hancock doubter coz of what I’d seen but this little bitch out of his last lot has turned my head but then again the lad has put the work in and it’s payed off .

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Spot on mate it goes back to you get out what you put in ? I was a Hancock doubter coz of what I’d seen but this little bitch out of his last lot has turned my head but then again the lad has put the work in and it’s payed off .

I agree with you mate. I've seen quite a few dogs from hancocks, and almost all of them have been really good. And like you say the best ones were all trained by good owners. The others probably wouldn't have been much cop no matter how or where they were bred, due to the ineptitude of their owners.

12 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Well I undoubtedly made.mistakes with mine but I'm convinced he was wired wrong. Amazing athleticism, nervous alpha, very highly strung and dog aggressive, which still resonates in my busher as the big dog nailed him for marking a rabbit holes as a pup. A coward of a dog too. Certainly put me off collies X's . Only my opinion but it's based on personal experience. He was out of kubla.

My reply to loton moocher was based on what I've seen, owned, and experienced. I don't believe collie crosses are suited to the majority of lurcher owners. They certainly can be 'challenging' lol, especially as pups. 

I remember some of your posts about your dog. Why do you say he was a coward mate?

Like all lurchers you can train as much as you want to high level or basics but if it’s not got heart for the jobs you do (but you won’t know that till it’s actually up an working weather you’ve waisted your time training ) it’s of no use I’ve had it one of the fastest an definitely the most obedient dogs I’ve had was no good in the field unless it was rabbits I trained the dog to a high level as I thought this is the one I think I’d of had no problem competitively competing with that dog and done very well but turned out a coward this dog was entered the same as I do all my dogs slow an steady an given fair shout I like to know a dog knows what it’s doing an expected of it before moving up ranks some just don’t make it I think the type of owner of a collie x needs to be a forgiving type of owner/trainer with a good steady head on his/her shoulders I don’t think there for everyone I think collie xs are sensitive they think to much about stuff getting away or there selfs getting hurt they complicate there runs I do like collie xs though they normally tend to be well constructed for hunting with a good coat but I don’t think what used to be there in the cross is not really there no more could be that the collie base blood isn’t the same no more in work ethic to produce good hard Lurchers no more. I like a bit of terrier in the mix (mines beddy) it brings out a bit of attitude that says I’m the best that don’t worry or think as much of getting hurt the only thoughts that goes through there heads is I’m the best at this game I’m gunner catch ya an if the fire needs to be turned up it’s there on tap I do think this day an age let everyone else do the leg work with the f1s or 1/4 breds an find out if there any good then tap in to there resources when they breed Lurcher to Lurcher I definitely think that’s the way forward 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, poxon said:

Like all lurchers you can train as much as you want to high level or basics but if it’s not got heart for the jobs you do (but you won’t know that till it’s actually up an working weather you’ve waisted your time training ) it’s of no use I’ve had it one of the fastest an definitely the most obedient dogs I’ve had was no good in the field unless it was rabbits I trained the dog to a high level as I thought this is the one I think I’d of had no problem competitively competing with that dog and done very well but turned out a coward this dog was entered the same as I do all my dogs slow an steady an given fair shout I like to know a dog knows what it’s doing an expected of it before moving up ranks some just don’t make it I think the type of owner of a collie x needs to be a forgiving type of owner/trainer with a good steady head on his/her shoulders I don’t think there for everyone I think collie xs are sensitive they think to much about stuff getting away or there selfs getting hurt they complicate there runs I do like collie xs though they normally tend to be well constructed for hunting with a good coat but I don’t think what used to be there in the cross is not really there no more could be that the collie base blood isn’t the same no more in work ethic to produce good hard Lurchers no more. I like a bit of terrier in the mix (mines beddy) it brings out a bit of attitude that says I’m the best that don’t worry or think as much of getting hurt the only thoughts that goes through there heads is I’m the best at this game I’m gunner catch ya an if the fire needs to be turned up it’s there on tap I do think this day an age let everyone else do the leg work with the f1s or 1/4 breds an find out if there any good then tap in to there resources when they breed Lurcher to Lurcher I definitely think that’s the way forward 

good thread above, like you say you can only judge any dog on what you owned your self. my take on it is that the collie gene quite strong gene  either at 1/4 or 4/8 , and from having 1xs my self , and seeing a 1/4  collie work , i really do think a 1/4 plenty in a lurcher you still get good feet coat, brain , stamina, but the big one is the collie temp will be watered down, which i think good think. the coward thing, is what been said on here, that they think to much about the job at hand, say pre ban if you was doing bit of fox control , if the dog been pecked few times before , they not over keen to go in again, i did have 3/8 collie 5/8 grey blaze in the 80s he do few foxes, but did hold back a bit to get a hold, where my gsd x grey would just pile in get a hold . just differnt mind set suppose  to a gsd and a collie , but both fookin breeds are very over sensitive , think most herding type dogs are i found.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Balaur said:

Well maybe not the best description, but he knew what could give him a knock, he was a good ferreting dog, liked rabbits. Maybe lacked prey drive would be better, but I had no bond with him really and the dog aggression was the end of it.

Dog aggression is one of my biggest gripes in any dog.

• Like 1

There’s lads that have been at fox since before I was born and lads a still running 1/4 3/8 collie beddy bull

no lads manage to say get 3/8 bull grey and linebreed your never gonna get a type breeding off all different types scatter breeding all the time lol  

6 hours ago, Lewiss said:

Never seen a bearded collie cross run what do you lads that have had them think is wrong with them cheers 

Rare as hens teeth is what's wrong with them ?

Same as other collie types, folk breeding off any old collie, some of them are a pain in the arse to live with for some people. Think it was Neal who wrote a good post about them having their own mind and turning a 'deaf un' etc but it resulting in a rabbit??

• Like 1