Flying a Harris hawk cast

Moses2259

Hello I have a few questions about flying a cast of Harris hawks, I wouldn’t get another one for a few years so it’s just out of curiosity for now. Could I introduce the second hawk after a few seasons of my female Harris hawk hunting or would I have to go out to buy a brother and sister. Also would they stay in the same mews or would they stay in 2 separate ones.

thank you 

35 minutes ago, Moses2259 said:

Hello I have a few questions about flying a cast of Harris hawks, I wouldn’t get another one for a few years so it’s just out of curiosity for now. Could I introduce the second hawk after a few seasons of my female Harris hawk hunting or would I have to go out to buy a brother and sister. Also would they stay in the same mews or would they stay in 2 separate ones.

thank you 

There are no hard and fast rules, but not all Harris hawks fly well in a cast. Quite often they can cause damage through crabbing on a kill etc. Don't have to be related some fly well in a cast and some don't.

Proceed with caution .When I had a male it was the in thing to fly as a cast .He was fine with another male but hated another mates female ,bated at the sight of her and we found out why one day on a moorhen .Was my turn for a flight walking a Reed bed and up got a moorhen .Off goes my male followed  by mates female .Not impressed .

She wanted him dead no buts about it and he piled into the reeds screaming .Found him soaking wet with her unable to foot him thankfully .

I have flown them in casts and single, I definitely think you get a better hawk flying them individually. A bit like dogs a lot are too clever and let the other bird do the work then pile in and try to take the glory. I find it makes them lazy. Also a lot more get killed or injured cast flying than you get to hear about.

• Like 1

My female will tolerate other Harris around her pegged out on bow and when out flying but wouldn’t trust her loose and flying in cast. If she sees her self in car window she tries have a go , 

not all Harris hawks are “easily tamed robins “ that people make them  out to be , mate mine had his goshawk snatched of his fist by a female Harris , 

when we fly with a couple of us we take it in turns and if it’s not your turn your bird is clipped up nothing worse than a young bird learning it’s trade getting splattered by another bird 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Elchapo said:

My female will tolerate other Harris around her pegged out on bow and when out flying but wouldn’t trust her loose and flying in cast. If she sees her self in car window she tries have a go , 

not all Harris hawks are “easily tamed robins “ that people make them  out to be , mate mine had his goshawk snatched of his fist by a female Harris , 

when we fly with a couple of us we take it in turns and if it’s not your turn your bird is clipped up nothing worse than a young bird learning it’s trade getting splattered by another bird 

I know what you mean that's why we only fly one bird at a time. 

10 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

I know what you mean that's why we only fly one bird at a time. 

Best way imo ,

was offered a day out with a lad who has some amazing hare and duck land , he sent me couple vids on there days out there is a cast of three Harris loose and there couple lads with imprint goss walking underneath them while there following in from tree to tree , 

i gratefully declined as I didn’t want my bird getting spanner’s or worse still my bird killing someone else’s , 

20 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Best way imo ,

was offered a day out with a lad who has some amazing hare and duck land , he sent me couple vids on there days out there is a cast of three Harris loose and there couple lads with imprint goss walking underneath them while there following in from tree to tree , 

i gratefully declined as I didn’t want my bird getting spanner’s or worse still my bird killing someone else’s , 

I would have done the same ?