permission

Easier to get your dog plenty running without it tbh, no thinking “I can run here but I can’t run over there” or “I can run these but I can’t run them”.

Agree with the above comments as well there’ll be very few people with the exception of some that stick to rabbits, that can get the best out of their dog sticking to permission. Best dogs are usually owned by lads that’ll go anywhere and run anything.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My pals sister is courtin we a lad over Leeds, he’s a farm there I could ask and possibly put you in touch

Let's all be honest yeah it's good to have permission I've got a little bit of permission not much on there and hs2 has raped it but most of my hunting life I've been and always will be a poacher who

I'll take both 

Posted Images

I think one of the biggest problems facing lads that like to run anything other than rabbits is you have to realistically do it at night and these days the first sign of a light at night and the old bill are called. It’s ok if you have some fairly tucked away land but round my way (south of England) there basically isn’t any land that you could lamp on without being seen buy a house or from a road and then some f****r calls either the landowner or plod. It means even if you have permission the landowner is getting grief (phone ringing at 11.00pm at night etc) and it basically isn’t worth them saying yes. So you end up having to poach but best wait till after midnight, which is fine but if you have a wife, kids a job that’s not so easy. I have pretty much given up lamping as just felt like to much grief, stick to ferreting now as lamping was just harder work than it was worth. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bobtheferret said:

I think one of the biggest problems facing lads that like to run anything other than rabbits is you have to realistically do it at night and these days the first sign of a light at night and the old bill are called. It’s ok if you have some fairly tucked away land but round my way (south of England) there basically isn’t any land that you could lamp on without being seen buy a house or from a road and then some f****r calls either the landowner or plod. It means even if you have permission the landowner is getting grief (phone ringing at 11.00pm at night etc) and it basically isn’t worth them saying yes. So you end up having to poach but best wait till after midnight, which is fine but if you have a wife, kids a job that’s not so easy. I have pretty much given up lamping as just felt like to much grief, stick to ferreting now as lamping was just harder work than it was worth. 

I know what you mean there mate easy solution fake your death or just leave home ? I agree with you it is hard and I'm afraid since this poxy lock down it's just made it worse I go out early because I find as of late more so that if your rocking about early doors of the morning and you appear to be the only car on the road they are on yah like a fly on shit the other reason is same as you I work 5 to 6 days a week and if I stay out past my bed time I'm fecked and I've got 50 kids and a moaning wife ??

• Haha 1

Buy a thermal... lamp is on a minimum amount of time then.

15 minutes ago, Penda said:

I know what you mean there mate easy solution fake your death or just leave home ? I agree with you it is hard and I'm afraid since this poxy lock down it's just made it worse I go out early because I find as of late more so that if your rocking about early doors of the morning and you appear to be the only car on the road they are on yah like a fly on shit the other reason is same as you I work 5 to 6 days a week and if I stay out past my bed time I'm fecked and I've got 50 kids and a moaning wife ??

50 kids! You need to spend more time lamping and less time playing hide the sausage with er indoors ???

I possibly don,t concur with you mucker,the art of the lurcher was daytime mooching,the lurcher and owner had the experience and nous to catch more than a rabbit and seldom needed the darkness to express their aptitude.Moderner technology as made it far easier for lesser souls and their lurchers to hunt.Technology is now the salvation of many,before its advent an awful lot of game was put to bed by folk and their charge possibly better at the game than the more modern and moderate now.

Yep! Even when I'm on permission here, i dont go out before midnight. Even a short couple of hours sees me get into bed at 3am, to get up at 7am. Luckily I've no kids and the mrs works shifts, some of which are nights so generally i lamp non-wed/thurs and stick to daytime Saturday / sunday. As a rule i dont lamp fri/sat/sun as thats when the idiots are out and folk are also up later etc.

4 minutes ago, morton said:

I possibly don,t concur with you mucker,the art of the lurcher was daytime mooching,the lurcher and owner had the experience and nous to catch more than a rabbit and seldom needed the darkness to express their aptitude.Moderner technology as made it far easier for lesser souls and their lurchers to hunt.Technology is now the salvation of many,before its advent an awful lot of game was put to bed by folk and their charge possibly better at the game than the more modern and moderate now.

It does sound a lovely image, but not quite so romantic when your dog is screwing something in the middle of n open field and mrs and mrs smith (who were told to go and explore the countryside by country file) are filming it on their iPhone and uploading it to the 'spotted in xxxx' face book page . . . . . . . .  

Its still doable if you're smart but times have changed somewhat and sooner or later if you are catching regular, it gets emotional.

• Like 4

I havent asked where I live now I go after 12 and i make sure I’m never leaving gates and never have dogs that would destroy there stock! so wouldn’t know you was. Although I do agree with what you guys said as I used to have 3000 acres in west Wales !

one guy I know used to work on the farm I met him in the city one day weird but he kept his promise and took me to one farm from there. I used to be able to go from one farm to the next they all knew each other !

used to say hiya on mr Thomas farm tonight wondering if we could have a look round on the land no problem Bois carry on so knowing one farm will definitely gain you another 

don’t know how easy it’s going to be south Devon but iv been out maybe 15 times since iv got here and going out at 12 being respectful we’ve not seen or heard of even a 1/4 of what you lads seem to see ! all the posters and shit maybe a neighbourhood watch sign but iv seen them for years like 

atb Jez ?

It was totally different when i lived back home, in the sticks. Some days un summer id take a drive through the lanes and knock at 20 farms and usually end up with half a dozen or so ranging from 50-300 acres each saying yes. Now i live somewhere, that the nearest 4 land owners own over 20,000 acres between them and all have keepers, farm managers etc etc. Luckily they like me lol.

5 minutes ago, Jezzadevon said:

I havent asked where I live now I go after 12 and i make sure I’m never leaving gates and never have dogs that would destroy there stock! so wouldn’t know you was. Although I do agree with what you guys said as I used to have 3000 acres in west Wales !

one guy I know used to work on the farm I met him in the city one day weird but he kept his promise and took me to one farm from there. I used to be able to go from one farm to the next they all knew each other !

used to say hiya on mr Thomas farm tonight wondering if we could have a look round on the land no problem Bois carry on so knowing one farm will definitely gain you another 

don’t know how easy it’s going to be south Devon but iv been out maybe 15 times since iv got here and going out at 12 being respectful we’ve not seen or heard of even a 1/4 of what you lads seem to see ! all the posters and shit maybe a neighbourhood watch sign but iv seen them for years like 

atb Jez ?

You're probably hunting Foxdroppers land that's why.. 

6 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

You're probably hunting Foxdroppers land that's why.. 

No bud badger problems hate them them ways but some land you would get to the top of one of them maybe 14 fields nice fields never seen so many hares in my life ! Real good ground most of if it my butty took on the farms now but il still lamp there when I’m up and about there like ?

Edited by Jezzadevon
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

It does sound a lovely image, but not quite so romantic when your dog is screwing something in the middle of n open field and mrs and mrs smith (who were told to go and explore the countryside by country file) are filming it on their iPhone and uploading it to the 'spotted in xxxx' face book page . . . . . . . .  

Its still doable if you're smart but times have changed somewhat and sooner or later if you are catching regular, it gets emotional.

I caught more before the advent of the mobile phone,i can remember a time when folk would scurry off looking for a landline to report you,the 20 minutes it took for them report your rural crime was 15 minutes less than it took you to make your escape,happy days.Did the mobile restrict your hunting lifestyle afterwards,did it feck,it made it a tad more awkward,awkward was never a reason for not unleashing the lurcher.