What is this type of rod and reel called over there ?

Made this video a little while back a d don't think I've ever posted it here. Anyhow I've seen this kinda rod used in the UK and other parts of Europe but never have seen an actual name put to it.  Their basically the same thing from what I've seen whe just use them differently. Anyhow was curious, what are they actually called over there ?

Edited by Wolfdog91

Finally; 17 minutes in it is confirmed what I suspected. It is a telescopic rod. ?  

You won't see many that length in the UK, usually telescopics are used by poachers like Walshie for spinning or illegal bait fishing and would be 7 foot max so they fit down their trouser leg when collapsed. ?

On the Continent however they use them to 15 feet or sometimes more. They aren't popular with UK anglers because their action isn't as good as a rod with more than one rod ring per section. That is why most telescopic rods in the UK are either small or are what we call roach poles which don't have rod rings.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Finally; 17 minutes in it is confirmed what I suspected. It is a telescopic rod. ?  

You won't see many that length in the UK, usually telescopics are used by poachers like Walshie for spinning or illegal bait fishing and would be 7 foot max so they fit down their trouser leg when collapsed. ?

On the Continent however they use them to 15 feet or sometimes more. They aren't popular with UK anglers because their action isn't as good as a rod with more than one rod ring per section. That is why most telescopic rods in the UK are either small or are what we call roach poles which don't have rod rings.

Seen telescopic beach casters advertised but the pic didn’t inspire confidence in the build quality ?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Lol yeah I'm a little long winded my bad ?? but didn't know if they had a special term or somthing other than a telescoping rod,well in particular this style where you can't really cast it with the reel it has. Figured it my have been some sub class of cenerpin mabye lol

16 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Lol yeah I'm a little long winded my bad ?? but didn't know if they had a special term or somthing other than a telescoping rod,well in particular this style where you can't really cast it with the reel it has. Figured it my have been some sub class of cenerpin mabye lol

You actually got it spot-on in your first description. It is a crappy rod  ?

And the reason that you can't cast with it is because you have a crappy reel too ?

Sorry old chap, but that sort of tackle don't cut it over here.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Haha 1

Something like a 12 foot two piece rod would be a fortune to ship over to the States. But a John Wilson Travel Avon / Quiver rod or a similar Youngs Travel Avon / Quiver Barbel rod wouldn't break the bank in cost or shipping. They would be far better options than a long telescopic rod. And, they have fixed spool reels over there only they call them spinning reels.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Nicepix said:

You actually got it spot-on in your first description. It is a crappy rod  ?

And the reason that you can't cast with it is because you have a crappy reel too ?

Sorry old chap, but that sort of tackle don't cut it over here.

Actually I've been casting with it with a micro spinner reel.  Works pretty good but again like unsaid we don't use them for that

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv never even saw a reel like that ? it is a tiny centre pin or cheap rip off ain’t it? 

can you get our rods over there? An is it expense to get them over if not?

O I can get about any rod  I want over here lol.

Having been to a couple of giant fishing / shooting stores in the US, they can get anything they want with a far better range of rods and reels than we could ever get but most of the freshwater fishing in US is lure fishing from boat, kayak or shore and are years ahead of us here.

God knows where this rod n reel comes from but it is what we in the UK call utter shit, throw them in the nearest trash bin and buy some of the really nice gear that is available.

Phil

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

O I can get about any rod  I want over here lol.

If that is true then go into a tackle shop and pick up a fifteen foot Drennan Acolyte float rod and Shimano Stradic reel. Then you'll realise what we are talking about. ?

That telescopic type of rod isn't popular amongst British anglers and you'll only see telescopic rods being used by those who can't afford anything better or need a rod that packs away into a small length and can't afford a four or five piece travel rod. Up to about 7 feet the telescopics are just about OK. But when you get up to 12 foot they are horrible! The problem is that there is only one rod ring per section and to get a rod 12 feet long they have to add more sections and / or extend the length of each section. If they add more sections the but becomes too thick. If they lengthen the sections then there is to much gap between the rings and when the rod is flexed the angle of the line between the rings is too steep. This causes a lot of pressure on the rings and they tend to break or the rod breaks where the rings are.

I can't make much of the reel, but it looks like a kid's toy. That general style of reel is called a centrepin over here and North American anglers use centrepins for mooching; bait fishing for steelhead and salmon. Centrepins have two handles so the reel is balanced and a good one will spin for over a minute. Look up Okuma DR-II on the web and you will see what I mean.

As Philpot has said; American tackle and methods for fly-fishing and lure fishing can be way ahead of what we have got. But, for bait fishing for non predator species you are still in the Dark Ages. From what I've seen a lot of this type of fishing is done in small farm ponds and I think that this might have stunted the development of that type of tackle. Either that or there is no money in it.

Back in the 1970's the USA had an embargo on Chinese products and that meant no Tonkin cane could be imported. An Alabama tackle dealer realised that he could sell good quality bamboo canes for crappie fishing at four times the price of poor quality canes. So he went off to Japan and sourced some good canes to import. While he was there he also approached two Japanese companies; Shimano and Fuji to make fishing tackle for him. He might have had an ABU baitcaster in his pocket when he met with Shimano because the reel they produced for him ; the Lews BB-1 was mechanically identical in many ways to the ABU Record. A few years later, Shimano entered the American market with their own branded reel; the Bantam which was identical to the Lews BB-1.

Lews fell out with Shimano and got Ryobi to make their reels. Shimano went on to great success on their own and Fuji still make most of the rod fittings for rod builders. All down to Lew Childre. 

1653473859_Bantam1.jpg.aab854207ad34cf97b845413943e073a.jpg

• Like 2

Hmmmm not to be rude but don't think you guys understand the purpose of these rods.

Now these type of rids here are used specifically on boats for what's know as spider rigging. For crappie.  Here's a picture if a standard spider rigging rig.

SpiderRiggingCrappie1.jpeg.2aa81d9e997b0ed7d2fad5bd535ff517.jpeg

In spider rigging you don't cast the rod or really fight the fish lol (like I explained in the video) . Crappie don't generally fight super hard they kinda just get flipped in the boat. Originally people just used can poles but you can't really adjust depth effectively with a cane pole.  Those little reels  are really only there for holding line. And to give you a better chance of playing a larger fish IF you hook one.   So basically you want a long nimble rod (the whipped actionn basically plays the big for you ) to get your bait out from the boat and a way to adjust you depth.  Your really just drop shoting these rods and putting them in rod holders.  Again there but made to cast it really play a fish.  How ever I got curious because I've seen the same style if rod used differently.

• Like 3