The Night Sky

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all I bought a Swallow 20x80- binocular last year, They're a bit heavy and high powered to hold still, I have some 1" square tubing and hope to make a weighted parallogram to hold them! T

For anyone that looks up now and again, these three are nicely grouped tonight. If the moon wasn't such a slim crescent and more full then it would likely outshine Saturn at the top there and Jupiter

While we are on about binos ,can someone recommend an all purpose ,decent but not pricey pair ? I was beaten up recently and they took mine .

Posted Images

This evening is the best time to view the Christmas Star, plus the years final meteor shower. 

The Christmas Star is actually Jupiter and Saturn that close together they will appear to the naked eye to be one star, the closest they have been since 1623.

Peak viewing will be between 16:30 and 18:00.

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1

You have to get them just after sunset otherwise they will set themselves for the rest of the night. Not looking likely here with the weather though.

The closest alignment between Earth and the two largest planet's in our system for nearly 400 years and coinciding with the solstice....... tomorrow the aliens arrive!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Our lasses crackpot auntie has been bombarding her with messages claiming this is a sign of change, things are going to get better. ?

Yeah we got pegged by a couple who recommended we go look at jw.org  suddenly we twigged .!!!!!  Jovas.  AGHHHHHA. !!! Nutters the lot of them.  Still there has been a bit of patterning on the telly.??

Edited by Meece
On 19/11/2020 at 17:20, Born Hunter said:

For anyone that looks up now and again, these three are nicely grouped tonight. If the moon wasn't such a slim crescent and more full then it would likely outshine Saturn at the top there and Jupiter at the right. With normal 10x binos you should be able to see at least a couple of the Galilean moons of Jupiter and with maybe 20-40x mag you would be able to see Saturn's rings.

DSC00697.JPG.e7f2b6b8289a0ddf236d6d65d2976faf.JPG

Mars is well over to the left of these in the sky for anyone looking.

Anyway, something to show the kids maybe now we're getting some clear nights... :thumbs:

One minor issue....... it's thrashing down outside and you wouldn't see an airliners lights at 100 yards. Everytime there is an event to look at.  It is always cloudy.  

6 minutes ago, Meece said:

One minor issue....... it's thrashing down outside and you wouldn't see an airliners lights at 100 yards. Everytime there is an event to look at.  It is always cloudy.  

You've had a month since that post! LOL. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Seen chuff all here pissing down all day. ?

Club.

27 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

You've had a month since that post! LOL. 

I have.? Well I'll  be blowd. 

I haven't got a ladder long enough to get above the cloud base. I've  got a good pair of Leicas but even they can't cut a hole through the cloud.  Still weather woman says the clouds are going to clear on Christmas eve..

Ps. I've  lost track of what day it is led alone  what's happening in space. I'll get her to remind  me to get and have a look.

Edited by Meece
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I bought a Swallow 20x80- binocular last year, They're a bit heavy and high powered to hold still, I have some 1" square tubing and hope to make a weighted parallogram to hold them!

They're a bit chunky against my Monarch 8x42!

FeQYTEK.jpg

This is what i'm hoping to make!

EGke0kv.jpg

I did a few moon pics with a 500mm lens fitted but have to use manual settings, I find it difficult to tell if i'm fully focussed through the camera so the pics never come out too well!

It has a 2x multiplier fitted in this pic so the lens is in effect a 1000mm lens!

XoHA5MF.jpg

A couple of pics taken through it, I usually get the focus as close as I can then take several pics whilst moving the focus in and out by small amounts! I take about thirty pics to get one! ?

7LPmgYr.jpg zaemaem.jpg?1

I have an Orion 8" reflector scope, I bought the bits to connect the camera to it but never got around to it, I'll have plenty of time to have a go now!!

TduS573.jpg

Here's the difference between the stock 18-55mm lens on the D-40 and the 500mm lens, Can't recall if I had the multiplier fitted but I think I may have!

yWSBJkl.jpg

jz18S2e.jpg

john ?

• Like 12
4 minutes ago, johnbaz said:

Hi all

I bought a Swallow 20x80- binocular last year, They're a bit heavy and high powered to hold still, I have some 1" square tubing and hope to make a weighted parallogram to hold them!

They're a bit chunky against my Monarch 8x42!

FeQYTEK.jpg

This is what i'm hoping to make!

EGke0kv.jpg

I did a few moon pics with a 500mm lens fitted but have to use manual settings, I find it difficult to tell if i'm fully focussed through the camera so the pics never come out too well!

It has a 2x multiplier fitted in this pic so the lens is in effect a 1000mm lens!

XoHA5MF.jpg

A couple of pics taken through it, I usually get the focus as close as I can then take several pics whilst moving the focus in and out by small amounts! I take about thirty pics to get one! ?

7LPmgYr.jpg zaemaem.jpg?1

I have an Orion 8" reflector scope, I bought the bits to connect the camera to it but never got around to it, I'll have plenty of time to have a go now!!

TduS573.jpg

Here's the difference between the stock 18-55mm lens on the D-40 and the 500mm lens, Can't recall if I had the multiplier fitted but I think I may have!

yWSBJkl.jpg

jz18S2e.jpg

john ?

Great stuff fella. 

• Like 1