carcass prices.?

15 minutes ago, mole trapper said:

Cheers for the heads up, my favourite is fallow doe, stinky bugger's but best  taste imo.

Unfortunately when I was ill and thought I'd had my chips I gave up my permissions, immediately got snatched up by deer initiative. Never get that back.

I agree about fallow. Best tasting. I’ve heard CWD are very good, but I’ve not tried them . 

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a mate helping me yesterday. I shot three , by the time I’d tipped the guts out , taken their heads and legs off and dragged them back to the ATV and into the chiller I was knackered . I said to

Forget what you’ve heard about them being the best venison. No different to roe in my opinion. 

b*****ds to skin.

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, mole trapper said:

Cheers for the heads up, my favourite is fallow doe, stinky bugger's but best  taste imo.

Unfortunately when I was ill and thought I'd had my chips I gave up my permissions, immediately got snatched up by deer initiative. Never get that back.

All of those weird club stalking things are a pain in the arse. We’ve got two around here aggressively trying for ground everywhere ...... rich London city boys coming out to stalk. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I agree about fallow. Best tasting. I’ve heard CWD are very good, but I’ve not tried them . 

Me neither. I can get plenty of roe but I've never been really taken with them.

I've recently landed a small area of red, hopefully try for a hind later this month or beginning of December.

2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

All of those weird club stalking things are a pain in the arse. We’ve got two around here aggressively trying for ground everywhere ...... rich London city boys coming out to stalk. 

The Deer initiative lot are like a cancer in the west country, making out like they are the only people who know about deer and telling the land owners that it will be great for them. Heard some seriously worrying takes of what they get up to once thei foots in the door.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mole trapper said:

The Deer initiative lot are like a cancer in the west country, making out like they are the only people who know about deer and telling the land owners that it will be great for them. Heard some seriously worrying takes of what they get up to once thei foots in the door.

I find anything like that irritating. We have it here - the “professionals” come in and offer big bucks and take the shooting and then the actual shooting is all sold to folk from London who pay top dollar to shoot. There isn’t really a ceiling to what they can charge the rich kids, so there isn’t a ceiling to what they can offer the landowner and so it goes .

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I find anything like that irritating. We have it here - the “professionals” come in and offer big bucks and take the shooting and then the actual shooting is all sold to folk from London who pay top dollar to shoot. There isn’t really a ceiling to what they can charge the rich kids, so there isn’t a ceiling to what they can offer the landowner and so it goes .

Very much the same down here, silly silly money for any heavily populated areas.

1 minute ago, mole trapper said:

Very much the same down here, silly silly money for any heavily populated areas.

It’s life I guess ...... but it’s always a bit irritating when you love somewhere and can’t get shooting and see the sign written brand spanking new pick up roll in with some slightly clueless bloke with all of the gear from the middle of the city jump out, shoot a couple deer and get driven back from whence he came ......

• Haha 1

I spoke to my game dealer yesterday to see if he could take some fallow off me . I know all the restaurants and hotels and pubs are shut now and he wasn’t taking any venison, but I wanted to see if he would do some sort of deal where he would process them into burgers and sausage and joints and him take some and me have some and no money changed hands , but he told me he’s got 5 tonnes in the freezer and is unsure if or when he can unload it . His staff are furloughed and he couldn’t help me . 
          Anyway I know a guy who makes burgers and sausage and processes deer at his house . He has had his place checked by the council and has all the hygiene certificates. He is doing a deal where he has one and gives me one back processed . Not ideal but at least I can shift them . Not many people want deer in the skins . You might find one or two people to take them but once their freezer is full they won’t take another. Difficult times , but the deer are hammering my pheasant feeders now , and they are getting through, I would estimate 1/2 -3/4 of a tonne a week at the moment which is no joke with wheat at the price it is now . So they have to be shot or moved on , i don’t care which it is .

44 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Wow they are eating some wheat. 

It’s no joke . Every deer I gralloch is stuffed with wheat . I’ve probably got about 30 on the place at the moment. I thought I’d sorted the bucks , but more have turned up . I’m going to hopefully take about 15 does . Made a bit of a start . Just see how we get along with our new sausages.

49 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

It’s no joke . Every deer I gralloch is stuffed with wheat . I’ve probably got about 30 on the place at the moment. I thought I’d sorted the bucks , but more have turned up . I’m going to hopefully take about 15 does . Made a bit of a start . Just see how we get along with our new sausages.

Good luck . Wish I was closer as would have a day with you.  Maybe next year when Covid is sorted. 

40 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Good luck . Wish I was closer as would have a day with you.  Maybe next year when Covid is sorted. 

I had a mate helping me yesterday. I shot three , by the time I’d tipped the guts out , taken their heads and legs off and dragged them back to the ATV and into the chiller I was knackered . I said to him “people pay to do this” ???

Stalking and pulling the trigger is the easy part . You can shove the rest of it . That’s why I like foxing . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2