training advice?

4 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Passed around already at few week old !? What cu@nts they is in dog world .

hope your in it for the long haul .

I know, it's awful. i really feel for him. don't get me wrong the family who i got him from were lovely and they knew they massively fked up, but i really feel for him. i have 3 other older dogs, and just like them he is now part of the family and wont be going anywhere. x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too right TerryD...? As far as training a lurcher goes,...much of the working side is purely instinctive and other than getting lots of first hand experience and absorbing (and hopefully acquirin

Best trained dogs I had were when I was a young fella and no internet or any one to guide me. Not one would do a basic sit lol. But every one flew back to hand day or night. 100% with stock and all gr

Hi 

Posted Images

Too many folk over complicate stuff with regard to training dogs.

Make it your mate and lay down firm and clear rules and boundary’s.

Get it used to ferrets and stock, other dogs and the great world outside.

Get it’s recall working.

Take it out and show it lots, it will start to mark naturally, don’t over praise it for marking.

Play tug and piss about with it and it will naturally begin to retrieve usually.

Most of the rest of ferreting work it will learn on the job.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

My wife trained our German shepherd pup using the Jan Fennel methods i did not get it at first but read the book and understood it more,  made training very easy , I recommend her book the dog whisper 

i will have a look into those methods, thank you! 

7 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Too many folk over complicate stuff with regard to training dogs.

Make it your mate and lay down firm and clear rules and boundary’s.

Get it used to ferrets and stock, other dogs and the great world outside.

Get it’s recall working.

Take it out and show it lots, it will start to mark naturally, don’t over praise it for marking.

Play tug and piss about with it and it will naturally begin to retrieve usually.

Most of the rest of ferreting work it will learn on the job.

i did think it was a bit over complicated when i watched a youtube training timeline and it look the dog over 12 months before even trying a rabbit. im more than prepared to put the work in but it made me wonder that surely 12 months is too long before even letting the dog familiarise with the rabbits speed, smell, feel etc? luckily my little one is fantastic off lead and with recall, he doesnt like to be far away even in the house so thats helped, and he seems to be a very quick learner which i love. hes getting introduced to the ferrets tomorrow, but if hes anything like he was with my cats hes going to be great. thank you 

2 minutes ago, abarclay00 said:

i did think it was a bit over complicated when i watched a youtube training timeline and it look the dog over 12 months before even trying a rabbit. im more than prepared to put the work in but it made me wonder that surely 12 months is too long before even letting the dog familiarise with the rabbits speed, smell, feel etc? luckily my little one is fantastic off lead and with recall, he doesnt like to be far away even in the house so thats helped, and he seems to be a very quick learner which i love. hes getting introduced to the ferrets tomorrow, but if hes anything like he was with my cats hes going to be great. thank you 

Basically the only thing you have to worry about with age and work is any potential physical damage from over exertion too young and potential to be a yappy b*****d. But when ferreting id be letting youngish pups grab them in nets and try for the odd bolter, depending on the ground and the individual dog. Letting an 8 month pup run a bolted rabbit is very different to banging a 6 month pup on a winter hare but some folk would have you believe it’s the same. 

Get the pup friendly with ferrets, get the ferret and some nets, get out with someone else. Find a nice small Warren, net up well, the other person works the ferret and you sit there and hold the dog and when a bolted hits the net and is tangled, let it have a mouth of it in the net, hold it. Kill one and let it carry it, Chuck it about and play etc and keep on going. Get it used to not being a wanker around nets and holes and learning not to grab the ferret when it pops out 

and sooner or later it will snatch a bolter, be marking and you’ll be getting rid of some of the nets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, abarclay00 said:

I know, it's awful. i really feel for him. don't get me wrong the family who i got him from were lovely and they knew they massively fked up, but i really feel for him. i have 3 other older dogs, and just like them he is now part of the family and wont be going anywhere. x

I shouldn't have said that and it wasn't towards you so sorry if it offended you in anyway .it does make my skin boil when people buy pups and pass them on as all pups no matter the breed cry and bark and be a handful and that's why folk should think very hard before getting any kind of pet .

its good you took him and he got a good home and I sure if you got horses or mates with paddocks you soon be  asked to clear rabbits  and he take to it ,  atvb 

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

I shouldn't have said that and it wasn't towards you so sorry if it offended you in anyway .it does make my skin boil when people buy pups and pass them on as all pups no matter the breed cry and bark and be a handful and that's why folk should think very hard before getting any kind of pet .

its good you took him and he got a good home and I sure if you got horses or mates with paddocks you soon be  asked to clear rabbits  and he take to it ,  atvb 

oh no dont worry, no offence taken. ive run into far too many people who made a quick choice in getting a pup and then realised theyve made a big mistake. its giving breeders the opportunity to rocket puppy prices also which is horrible. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

Basically the only thing you have to worry about with age and work is any potential physical damage from over exertion too young and potential to be a yappy b*****d. But when ferreting id be letting youngish pups grab them in nets and try for the odd bolter, depending on the ground and the individual dog. Letting an 8 month pup run a bolted rabbit is very different to banging a 6 month pup on a winter hare but some folk would have you believe it’s the same. 

Get the pup friendly with ferrets, get the ferret and some nets, get out with someone else. Find a nice small Warren, net up well, the other person works the ferret and you sit there and hold the dog and when a bolted hits the net and is tangled, let it have a mouth of it in the net, hold it. Kill one and let it carry it, Chuck it about and play etc and keep on going. Get it used to not being a wanker around nets and holes and learning not to grab the ferret when it pops out 

and sooner or later it will snatch a bolter, be marking and you’ll be getting rid of some of the nets. 

we have 2 11 month old large breed bullies and weve taken things with them really slowly to let their bodies mature, so im planning on taking things nice and steady with little Brody. trying to find people local who dont mind someone tagging along is really hard, but ill keep trying. thank you for your advice, i really appreciate it xx

• Like 1
1 hour ago, abarclay00 said:

we have 2 11 month old large breed bullies and weve taken things with them really slowly to let their bodies mature, so im planning on taking things nice and steady with little Brody. trying to find people local who dont mind someone tagging along is really hard, but ill keep trying. thank you for your advice, i really appreciate it xx

i have thought  some lads up your way west Yorkshire,  could help you out , show you couple days mooching or lamping , we all had to start  and learn somewhere .!   30 odd years ago for me    Ray

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, bird said:

i have thought  some lads up your way west Yorkshire,  could help you out , show you couple days mooching or lamping , we all had to start  and learn somewhere .!   30 odd years ago for me    Ray

id love to find a couple of people, if its any use i make a cracking brew haha. x

35 minutes ago, abarclay00 said:

id love to find a couple of people, if its any use i make a cracking brew haha. x

hang in there,  if i was closer and i help you out , but not local to you, so no point really , but never mind hopefully  sombody will read this and  let you tag along. i have helped few people out over the years,  helped few with old bryn lamping and mooching, and my big dog Buck  a better dog than him   to learn from. 

• Thanks 1