training advice?

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice / tips on training my new pup.

He will be arriving tomorrow and is 16 weeks old, whippet x grey x collie x wheaton, and I'm hoping to make a lovely little ferreting dog out of him. 

He knows the basics (sit + wait) and is really high energy. 

From your experience, what steps did you take to get to the point of being able to take them out with the ferrets?

I have a good idea of what to do, but I always like to hear more experienced peoples thoughts, as its not something you see too much of these days. 

Obedience, fitness, experience etc (we raw feed)

thank you in advance :) 

IMG_E0912.JPG

• Like 2

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too right TerryD...? As far as training a lurcher goes,...much of the working side is purely instinctive and other than getting lots of first hand experience and absorbing (and hopefully acquirin

Best trained dogs I had were when I was a young fella and no internet or any one to guide me. Not one would do a basic sit lol. But every one flew back to hand day or night. 100% with stock and all gr

Hi 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Make everything a game and fun and your pup soon learn ,get pup used to ferrets from the start and they soon be best mates but most of all enjoy your pup and bond with each other and you get s mate that thinks you are it's world .

good luck and enjoy ?

thank you, i have plenty of mixed temperament ferrets to desensitise him. im looking forward to having new team member.

• Like 1

Not a professional trainer or out but always end up with a half decent trained dog I take my time im cool headed I train little an often an keep it a fun game some times you can be training a young un an think in your head this pup is thick as pig shit because your trying an trying to teach but nothing is happening the hardest dog I’ve trained is my current beddy x bitch I couldn’t get this bitch to retrieve no objects she wasn’t interested in all manner of items she retrieved at 8-10weeks old some kids socks in the hall way then it stopped couldn’t get a retrieve till the bitch was 9 months old I kept trying all objects but nothing I couldn’t understand it because she’s always had a good recall a retrieve is just a extension of recall then one day I looked out the window an see the bitch trying to get my sons new football ⚽️ he got for his birthday off the log store roof I was straight out there id found the object she desired that was fun from the first kick of that ball I knew I was getting somewhere on the retrieve front because I was thinking a dog that’s main stable quarry being rabbits what use is it if it can’t or won’t retrieve the bitch retrieved the football a number of times that day I was buzzing it became a regular thing of retrieve it till our first night on the lamp I’ve had every rabbit that bitch as caught this season back to hand bar one. What my little sA is getting at don’t buy in to all this they should be doing this that or the other at this age all dogs learn at different paces keep it slow an steady an fun don’t listen to that purdies progress bull shit as gospel

• Like 2

Like been said all dogs different like we are ,when I was younger I would get stressed if dog didn't do what I wanted and dog just felt the vibe and you get no chance of dog learning so take it slow and remember it's a pup and pups do and learn things in there own time.

plenty of time for catching rabbits later but for now get commands in and get dog coming back to hand and you half way there in my opion. ?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, abarclay00 said:

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice / tips on training my new pup.

He will be arriving tomorrow and is 16 weeks old, whippet x grey x collie x wheaton, and I'm hoping to make a lovely little ferreting dog out of him. 

He knows the basics (sit + wait) and is really high energy. 

From your experience, what steps did you take to get to the point of being able to take them out with the ferrets?

I have a good idea of what to do, but I always like to hear more experienced peoples thoughts, as its not something you see too much of these days. 

Obedience, fitness, experience etc (we raw feed)

thank you in advance :) 

IMG_E0912.JPG

strange post  this, let me get this right, he not arriving  till tomorrow , so who done that bit with him as he 4 month old already ?  there plenty of good  people who can help you out with your pup on here mate.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

That's the hard part.Same here in Oz,if you get one place,are sane and do the right thing the neighbours often let you on.

I'm a horsey girl at heart so im hoping i can call in a few favors from my other horsey friends haha. x

• Like 1
4 hours ago, poxon said:

Not a professional trainer or out but always end up with a half decent trained dog I take my time im cool headed I train little an often an keep it a fun game some times you can be training a young un an think in your head this pup is thick as pig shit because your trying an trying to teach but nothing is happening the hardest dog I’ve trained is my current beddy x bitch I couldn’t get this bitch to retrieve no objects she wasn’t interested in all manner of items she retrieved at 8-10weeks old some kids socks in the hall way then it stopped couldn’t get a retrieve till the bitch was 9 months old I kept trying all objects but nothing I couldn’t understand it because she’s always had a good recall a retrieve is just a extension of recall then one day I looked out the window an see the bitch trying to get my sons new football ⚽️ he got for his birthday off the log store roof I was straight out there id found the object she desired that was fun from the first kick of that ball I knew I was getting somewhere on the retrieve front because I was thinking a dog that’s main stable quarry being rabbits what use is it if it can’t or won’t retrieve the bitch retrieved the football a number of times that day I was buzzing it became a regular thing of retrieve it till our first night on the lamp I’ve had every rabbit that bitch as caught this season back to hand bar one. What my little sA is getting at don’t buy in to all this they should be doing this that or the other at this age all dogs learn at different paces keep it slow an steady an fun don’t listen to that purdies progress bull shit as gospel

thank you for your reply, thats really useful. so far hes seeming to be very intelligent but has some bad habits that need straightening out (constant yapping). im going to take things really slowly over the next week or so while he settles in (ive also got a litter of pups due so him settling in has come at a good time). i have watched all the videos i could find and although the dogs are lovely i feel like nobody wants to spread knowledge. 

3 hours ago, bird said:

strange post  this, let me get this right, he not arriving  till tomorrow , so who done that bit with him as he 4 month old already ?  there plenty of good  people who can help you out with your pup on here mate.

sorry, i should've explained a little bit more. he arrived with me today. the family i got him from bought him at 8 weeks as their first dog and didnt realise how much work he would be. they reached out to me (after seeing my advert) and asked if i could take him on. they took him to puppy classes once per week where he learnt to sit and "kind of" stay. however he has quite a few bad habits such as constant yapping but we will see how he is when hes settled.