Wheaton x spaniel?

jcm

1 hour ago, spindolero said:

I'm not sure, you want a bushing dog to do a few things, including work away from you, work with other dogs and work around stock. In my eyes you're putting a lot of trust in a half x Wheaton.

I don't disagree that upbringing is important, but I personally feel that Wheaton's have a low temper threshold and that can sometimes override even the best training.

Plus what can a pure Wheaton bring to a busher that a spaniel, a beagle or a terrier doesn't bring? The only thing i can think is aggression and that's not something I would want in a busher.

I spoke to a lad that had a staff x spaniel and it killed a few foxes in cover and round holes, nice party trick maybe but the main function is push game out for lurchers/guns and having a good nose and stamina is what I would want.

Well I have seen a couple half x Wheaton greys, no dog agression, great nose, good feet coat and natural hunting ability. 

Why does it seem that every one hates the idea of a bushing dog with Wheaton in it but love the breed in a lurcher. 

It's a honest question iv not seen a pure Wheaton work or been around 1 and have heard a good few people say that they very dog argessive but surely if they work so well in a lurcher why couldn't they be used as a bushing dog?? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jcm said:

Well I have seen a couple half x Wheaton greys, no dog agression, great nose, good feet coat and natural hunting ability. 

Why does it seem that every one hates the idea of a bushing dog with Wheaton in it but love the breed in a lurcher. 

It's a honest question iv not seen a pure Wheaton work or been around 1 and have heard a good few people say that they very dog argessive but surely if they work so well in a lurcher why couldn't they be used as a bushing dog?? 

Because you want a Wheaton x lurcher to catch stuff and kill  single handed, regardless if it's getting stick
The best ones i have seen were full on, when the red mist comes down - that's what you expect in a  Wheaton x lurcher.

I'd want a busher to be steady and thorough, not missing bits of cover because it's like a bull at a gate. Nose, feet, coat & ability you can get from a number of other breeds more suitable temperament wise.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, spindolero said:

Because you want a Wheaton x lurcher to catch stuff and kill  single handed, regardless if it's getting stick
The best ones i have seen were full on, when the red mist comes down - that's what you expect in a  Wheaton x lurcher.

I'd want a busher to be steady and thorough, not missing bits of cover because it's like a bull at a gate. Nose, feet, coat & ability you can get from a number of other breeds more suitable temperament wise.

Your right you could get most of the attributes from another breed but I still like the idea of Wheaton in a busher like.