Wheaton x spaniel?

jcm

Seen a pic or two of a Wheaton x beagle the other day, very nice type. 

What about Wheaton x spaniel. Surely you would keep some size and strength as opposed to a smaller terrier like a russel and hopefully keep the mentality of the Wheaton. 

Any one had or run a type like this I'm sure it would have no problem bumping into anything in cover. 

Pictures?? 

33 minutes ago, jcm said:

Seen a pic or two of a Wheaton x beagle the other day, very nice type. 

What about Wheaton x spaniel. Surely you would keep some size and strength as opposed to a smaller terrier like a russel and hopefully keep the mentality of the Wheaton. 

Any one had or run a type like this I'm sure it would have no problem bumping into anything in cover. 

Pictures?? 

I dont really know what they would add?

I guess the logic of breeding most spaniel x terrier litters, is to combine the hunting ability of those two breeds.

Does a wheaten hunt much? Does anyone use them for it?

I guess it would add more bite and crunch to the pups, but how much do you need in a cover dog?

Be interesting to see some photos.

Ive got  a patterdale here id like to put to a spaniel.

Just now, SheepChaser said:

I dont really know what they would add?

I guess the logic of breeding most spaniel x terrier litters, is to combine the hunting ability of those two breeds.

Does a wheaten hunt much? Does anyone use them for it?

I guess it would add more bite and crunch to the pups, but how much do you need in a cover dog?

Be interesting to see some photos.

Ive got  a patterdale here id like to put to a spaniel.

That's sort of why I started the topic it's not a cross you see much but interesting all the same. 

I wouldn't underestimate the Wheaton for hunting ability i think they add a fantastic nose to a lurcher and very driven dogs. 

I fact if it's not a bull xs it's Wheaton xs nowadays in the lurcher game and that's because they add so much to a modern day lurcher in my opinion. 

I would love to put my own dog to a spaniel also but I doubt that is going to happen as atm I don't have room for a pup. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jcm said:

That's sort of why I started the topic it's not a cross you see much but interesting all the same. 

I wouldn't underestimate the Wheaton for hunting ability i think they add a fantastic nose to a lurcher and very driven dogs. 

I fact if it's not a bull xs it's Wheaton xs nowadays in the lurcher game and that's because they add so much to a modern day lurcher in my opinion. 

I would love to put my own dog to a spaniel also but I doubt that is going to happen as atm I don't have room for a pup. 

Im not knocking it, but its like anything else. If I had a spaniel working cover and bashing to lurchers and wanted to breed a litter of terrier x spaniel for the same job, i could put my hands on a number of good cover working terriers, if i had to find a wheaten used for that purpose. . . . . id struggle. And from what I've seen, most things you'd be bushing, doesn't require a heavy dog to do the job.

I guess what I'm saying is it would probably work, but what would it add, to a bushing dog, that another easier to source terrier wouldn't?

2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Im not knocking it, but its like anything else. If I had a spaniel working cover and bashing to lurchers and wanted to breed a litter of terrier x spaniel for the same job, i could put my hands on a number of good cover working terriers, if i had to find a wheaten used for that purpose. . . . . id struggle. And from what I've seen, most things you'd be bushing, doesn't require a heavy dog to do the job.

I guess what I'm saying is it would probably work, but what would it add, to a bushing dog, that another easier to source terrier wouldn't?

Totaly agree with you my own terrier imo would be a great choice for putting to a spaniel to produce some great dogs but I like the idea of a Wheaton xs as its diffrent and I like diffrent makes things a bit more interesting. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

I would be interested to see some to be fair, I’ve always had a bit of an urge to get a staff for bushing as I just like them. But being honest over the years I’ve found that mostly it’s the standard boring option which works best ? 

??? Yeah your [BANNED TEXT] there, tbh I think it's more the fact I like the Wheaton lurchers so much and watching them work got me thinking about one or a cross bred one for cover and possible make a decent dog around the mouth of a whole. 

I'm not sure, you want a bushing dog to do a few things, including work away from you, work with other dogs and work around stock. In my eyes you're putting a lot of trust in a half x Wheaton.

I don't disagree that upbringing is important, but I personally feel that Wheaton's have a low temper threshold and that can sometimes override even the best training.

Plus what can a pure Wheaton bring to a busher that a spaniel, a beagle or a terrier doesn't bring? The only thing i can think is aggression and that's not something I would want in a busher.

I spoke to a lad that had a staff x spaniel and it killed a few foxes in cover and round holes, nice party trick maybe but the main function is push game out for lurchers/guns and having a good nose and stamina is what I would want.

• Like 2