Do you need a spotter?

My mate uses his thermal scope, not ideal, lifting it at every field but it does the job. More often than not i flick a light on and pick anything up quickly if possible then turn off and leave it to him. He has good success on his own using his scope but he’s said he needs a thermal spotter. Mightily impressed with his scope though ?

I tried spotting with rifle at first mate. Absolute nightmare, waving gun about, soon gets heavy & runs down battery on your nv scope.

I then got pard19 nv spotter. Easy to handle/carry etc but I was very underwhelmed, didn't feel I was really spotting much. Very grainy.

Made the leap to xm30s and its no comparison to nv spotting, spot on. Save up a bit & go thermal. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

I tried spotting with rifle at first mate. Absolute nightmare, waving gun about, soon gets heavy & runs down battery on your nv scope.

I then got pard19 nv spotter. Easy to handle/carry etc but I was very underwhelmed, didn't feel I was really spotting much. Very grainy.

Made the leap to xm30s and its no comparison to nv spotting, spot on. Save up a bit & go thermal. 

Definitely my next purchase, how far can. You see with 30s?

18 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Honest answer mitch - I dunno! Far enough for me!! Easily ID fox out at 600YDS 

What are they like in the damp misty/foggy weather or light rain Ben? I know you can go more up market, but I don’t know if the xq38 would be worth the extra £700 for most people?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dervburner said:

What are they like in the damp misty/foggy weather or light rain Ben? I know you can go more up market, but I don’t know if the xq38 would be worth the extra £700 for most people?

Rainy damp fine mate. Last Saturday I scanned with 10 minutes and was blanket of white, but I've not seen fog like that in good couple years here was ridiculous. 

You can spend & keep spending. Plenty folk say xq38 way to go. For my first dip into thermal the one I've got is spot on & doing exactly what I wanted. And it's tiny. 

• Like 3