An open fire.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love an open fire. They always make me chilled. My first memory of one is when I was a kid before I went to school. My mam was breastfeeding my kid sister and I was staring out of the window watching

My missus. Minus 23, north of the Arctic circle; Thats when you really appreciate a good fire !

My problem in life is if I earn 500 a day I would only work one day a week, I,m a man of low ambition unfortunately, a day in the woods can save me a couple of hundred quid cutting logs but also saves

Posted Images

I put log burner in years and years ago and never thought about lighting . But now I fancy spot lights under oak beam. 240 mains lights our out, as can't be arsed to chase out and plaster up, I also don't want trunking as am a bit OCD lol. So was thinking about battery powered jobbies.  Does anybody know of any ones that would be suitable or an alternative ? Cheers 

20201116_181559.jpg

4 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

I put log burner in years and years ago and never thought about lighting . But now I fancy spot lights under oak beam. 240 mains lights our out, as can't be arsed to chase out and plaster up, I also don't want trunking as am a bit OCD lol. So was thinking about battery powered jobbies.  Does anybody know of any ones that would be suitable or an alternative ? Cheers 

20201116_181559.jpg

@D Lloyd is the expert on LED battery lamps give him a pm ????

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

20201116_181559.jpg

If they did something that was heat powered youd be on to a winner

• Like 2
On 07/11/2020 at 11:08, Greyman said:

Probably telling my Nan how to suck eggs, but if your chimney does go up it’s not a big deal just dip a towel in water and hold it over the fire place, the towel will starve the air and the water in it will create steam which will starve the fire of oxygen and put it straight out, what ever you do don’t call the fire brigade, they will stick a hose down the chimney and simply destroy your house with water, or alternatively go down screwfix and get some brush,s I do mine every 6 months because I burn lots of rubbish in it ?

I'm sorry to burst your bubble mate! I've had a few chimney fires, the last one just two years ago. Anyway, you know it's on fire as it sounds like a jet taking off, flames and sparks twelve feet out of the cowel, first thing I did was spray the fire with water, so two gallons of steam up the chimney subdued it for a few mins, I removed the grate and front and put a board up that I use to block it up during summer (stops soot fall and birds), this is where it really gets interesting, as starved of oxygen it starts consuming it from above and draws it down the chimney blowing the board out and engulfing the front room in black smoke and flame up the chimney breast along the ceiling, I promptly kaked my pants and phoned 999. I happened to choose a night when most of the fire crew are life boat crew too and they arrived two and a half hours later. The main man said all your doing sweeping a chimney with brushes is polishing it. Anyway on the roof they went and slowly drizzled their hose down the insides to dowse the fire, then swept the chimney clean with an old sash weight rolled in barbed wire, dislodging a whole load of gunk from all the years. There was no water at all came in my front room, they even held a fire blanket over the fireplace whilst they swept it, the place was cleaner than when they arrived. They stayed six hours and used thermal imaging waiting for the hot spots to fade. They were great and could never thank them enough!

Honestly, you'll know when your chimney is ablaze just by the noise, and phone 999 you really can't tackle one without the proper gear. I lost my chimney pot and split the chimney, I could have lost my house!

DSC05204.JPG.e6d7c82818ca883b3d066a383ce8f7d5.JPG

20201117_091344.jpg.ee8b9aa3ce92120e26e65630e3c62239.jpg

I have this as a safer option ?

20201117_043505.jpg.2ef6a3c6ef4b1b52c6f6bc148bbaedf9.jpg

Edited by Gav
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

Well fck me. That shit me up a bit. Better stop burning those tires on the fire ?

We used to burn everything on the fire, my first wife came in with peelings in newspaper an asked if it was ok to throw on, aye I said thinking it was just peelings, she had scraped the lard out the fryer into the paper with peelings, honestly I have never heard or seen a fire like it, the wee one was three week old, we legged it and all the neighbours came out for the show too, was the talk of the town for a day ?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Gav said:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble mate! I've had a few chimney fires, the last one just two years ago. Anyway, you know it's on fire as it sounds like a jet taking off, flames and sparks twelve feet out of the cowel, first thing I did was spray the fire with water, so two gallons of steam up the chimney subdued it for a few mins, I removed the grate and front and put a board up that I use to block it up during summer (stops soot fall and birds), this is where it really gets interesting, as starved of oxygen it starts consuming it from above and draws it down the chimney blowing the board out and engulfing the front room in black smoke and flame up the chimney breast along the ceiling, I promptly kaked my pants and phoned 999. I happened to choose a night when most of the fire crew are life boat crew too and they arrived two and a half hours later. The main man said all your doing sweeping a chimney with brushes is polishing it. Anyway on the roof they went and slowly drizzled their hose down the insides to dowse the fire, then swept the chimney clean with an old sash weight rolled in barbed wire, dislodging a whole load of gunk from all the years. There was no water at all came in my front room, they even held a fire blanket over the fireplace whilst they swept it, the place was cleaner than when they arrived. They stayed six hours and used thermal imaging waiting for the hot spots to fade. They were great and could never thank them enough!

Honestly, you'll know when your chimney is ablaze just by the noise, and phone 999 you really can't tackle one without the proper gear. I lost my chimney pot and split the chimney, I could have lost my house!

WAGG ??? Nice stove but wagg lol ??

• Haha 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/11/2020 at 17:17, Gav said:

I,ve put a fair few out over the years never had a problem, came home from a short dog walk last year and my cat had managed to turn on the cooker and start a fire couldn’t see my hand in front my face but still never thought about phoning the fire brigade, I,m a little bit to pro active for my good maybe but I couldn’t sit waiting for 21/2 hrs while my house was on fire, I even rescued an old couple from a burning house a few years back, got a £50 from the family and a bollacking for going into a burning house, got the mug to prove it ???

328DE9F1-D00A-431A-9039-48352F43C332.png

35A5418A-26F2-4552-93EC-1FD7A4D78566.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1