Collie lurcher

32 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Apart from coat, name the 'far more things' that a whippet lacks, morton.

Good whippet blood will add plenty to any lurcher.

Just because you, and other members on here, dislike whippets,  doesn't mean they aint any good, or don't posses many qualities that they can pass on to lurcher/longdog types they get crossed with.

Only thing the lack is size and bigness 

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good working greyhound x whippet with a bit of height 

this type of mutt are getting more popular for good reason. mooch about they will mark holes, Bush, rabbits etc. take the odd ones in cover. pick up the odd pheasant, partridge, duck. tree squirrels f

Yes mate. Absolutely broke my heart. Went a bit mental after for a couple of months. Try not to think / talk about it too much as she was my best mate. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Massive reverse gear?!  You talking pure whippets or lurchers with whippet in the breeding? And if you're talking pure, they have never been meant as 'heavy duty' dogs.

Two of the very best fox killing lurchers I've ever seen were collie/grey x whippet/grey x whippet/grey, brother and sister from same litter.

As to pure whippets being undervalued and underated, I have to agree. 

This is what boils my piss with whippets,the whippet boys advocate virtues in a whippet that the mutt does not warrant,they are lightweight hunting companions and as such have few equals,in fact I don,t believe a small rodent lurcher is respective of its capability unless its heavily whippet saturated.They are not teeth dogs,they are not heavy terrain dogs,they are not harsh weather dogs and they are not suited to rough,harsh and strenuous treatment.If you wish for the thrill,the excitement and the small dick syndrome then the whippet as no equal,if you wish to step up a level the whippet is a lead weight.

3 minutes ago, morton said:

This is what boils my piss with whippets,the whippet boys advocate virtues in a whippet that the mutt does not warrant,they are lightweight hunting companions and as such have few equals,in fact I don,t believe a small rodent lurcher is respective of its capability unless its heavily whippet saturated.They are not teeth dogs,they are not heavy terrain dogs,they are not harsh weather dogs and they are not suited to rough,harsh and strenuous treatment.If you wish for the thrill,the excitement and the small dick syndrome then the whippet as no equal,if you wish to step up a level the whippet is a lead weight.

So about as much use as a beddy digging dog then? 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, morton said:

I think I agree with a lot of that morton? Pure whippets were never intended for the same sort of work as lurchers or larger dogs. But I've seen and owned some belting purebreds that would surprise many naysayers.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I think I agree with a lot of that morton? Pure whippets were never intended for the same sort of work as lurchers or larger dogs. But I've seen and owned some belting purebreds that would surprise many naysayers.

Ive owned a whippet that the top greyhound trainer in Lancashire paid top dollar for £13,thats a long time ago and a fact,id love to own her again,in all honesty id be pissed off with what she offered as a lurcher.

17 minutes ago, morton said:

So what your saying is the good for kick ups on a golf course between may and September lol

5 minutes ago, morton said:

Ive owned a whippet that the top greyhound trainer in Lancashire paid top dollar for £13,thats a long time ago and a fact,id love to own her again,in all honesty id be pissed off with what she offered as a lurcher.

But there you have it, she wasn't a lurcher, so SHOULDN'T BE COMPARED TO A LURCHER.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, morton said:

So why add it to a lurcher?

You're just being obtuse now. 

But I'll entertain you a little longer, because I really can see that you are just choosing 'not to see it'. 

Whippet is added to many lurcher/longdog types, to increase take off speed, agility, fire, tenacity, good compact feet, to name just a few qualities. And by 'fire' and 'tenacity', I don't mean fighting dog qualities, rather being keen as f**k and game for a morning's work.

• Like 1

think i depends on what type of land you are working and what you want to run with it, for rabbits on small fields/woodland a whippet x collie would suit me. the none ped racing lines can be small and rapid, usually a bit of greyhound in them from somewhere down the line. I have a young collie bitch i am training for ferreting, she is work/trial bred and has really taken to ferreting, if she ends up what i hope i will put a none ped racing whippet on her in a few years my relatives have some real good gear.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, shaaark said:

You're just being obtuse now. 

But I'll entertain you a little longer, because I really can see that you are just choosing 'not to see it'. 

Whippet is added to many lurcher/longdog types, to increase take off speed, agility, fire, tenacity, good compact feet, to name just a few qualities. And by 'fire' and 'tenacity', I don't mean fighting dog qualities, rather being keen as f**k and game for a morning's work.

Ill have to keep being obtuse.Look mucker we both rate the whippet for different reasons,you rate it and I rate it,if it came to fire and tenacity id kick the pudding out of a whippet to find its worth,they offer feck all but take off speed and diminutive stature.